Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#1
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:48am
Star Jones: I had gastric-bypass surgery
July 30, 2007, 10:46 pm PDT

Associated Press
NEW YORK -

Star Jones Reynolds says in a new interview that her dramatic weight-loss was due to gastric-bypass surgery, and that she dodged questions about it for years because she was "scared of what people might think of me."

Reynolds, 45, says she was "intentionally evasive" when people asked how she'd dropped 160 pounds in three years. The former "View" co-host opens up about her weight loss and self-esteem issues in a story featured in the September issue of Glamour magazine, on newsstands Aug. 7.

"Everything about me was already so public (mostly my own doing talk about dumb!), so of course everyone wanted to know what I had done," she writes. "I was also terrified someone would have a tragic result after emulating me without making an informed decision with her doctor."

"But the complete truth is, I was scared of what people might think of me," she continues. "I was afraid to be vulnerable, and ashamed at not being able to get myself under control without this procedure."

Keeping her decision private made her a hypocrite, she says, because she had been so outspoken about her firing from ABC's "The View" last year.

Reynolds, who weighed 307 pounds at her heaviest, says her "out-of-control behavior" began around her 40th birthday in 2002. Feeling lonely, she turned to food for comfort and gained 75 pounds over the course of 17 months. She had the procedure in August 2003.

"I used to look in the mirror and take pride in my figure, but that was when I was legitimately a full-figured woman," she says. "I'd gradually gone from full-figured to morbidly obese."

Reynolds opted for surgery after a friend expressed concern about her weight. It was a success, she says, though she found she was "still consumed with the same anger, shame and insecurity as before."

Her husband, banker Al Reynolds, encouraged her to begin psychological therapy in the summer of 2005. She learned, among other things, that she "couldn't control what others thought," she says. She began to heal by talking openly about her weight loss to strangers.

Wow- I'm shocked ! Star Jones Admits to Surgery !

J*
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 09:48 AM
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:52am
She's still a pig.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
almostxfamous Profile Photoalmostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#2
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:25am
Not like it's a big surprise. Now, at least, it makes a little more sense as to why her head is so out of porportion to her body and looks like an alien.
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#3
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:56am
Jane2, you crack me up!!
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#4
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:03am
She's only 45?! WOW!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#5
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:06am
A well-timed story, landing around the same time as the announcement of her permanent replacement on "The View."
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#6
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:16am
This isn't really news. She admitted to having lost weight via "medical intervention" last year.
Tchi4Lif188 Profile PhotoTchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#7
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:22am
*shock!*......Not.
"Wishes come true, not free..."
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#8
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:24am
'Jane2, you crack me up!!'

Thanks, Dottie. Sometimes I crack myself up!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Kalimba Profile PhotoKalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#9
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:54pm
That still does nothing to change her big ol' head and bulging eyes.
Jimmcf Profile PhotoJimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#10
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:19pm
Not that this is any surprise. But she was worried that someone would have the surgery and get complications because SHE did it?

As someone who has had the surgery (many years before her), it is not something I would look at a celebrity for guidance for. For myself (and I imagine a great number of others) the surgery was the last straw and last hope. I had strugged with weight my entire life, and I needed the physical barrier to stop over eating. It was not a decision that I entered into lightly...and I don't think any one else who is thinking about or has done the surgery treats it lightly (like, well if Star did it I should too!). That is absurd.

But the thing that really turned me on her (well, I had kind of turned on her with the whole wedding thing), was that she KNEW she had the surgery, and then LIED about it. Remember folks, she wrote a book "Shine" about how she lost it through diet and exercise...and her true love, Big Gay Al.

Now will she address his "sexual identity issues?"
My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland
Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile PhotoAnastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#11
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:22pm
Child, you're a mess!!

re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#12
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:36pm
*yawn*
....but the world goes 'round
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#13
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:50pm
She was worried about what people would think of her? She wasn't aware of what people thought of her before the surgery? She was an annoying cow before the surgery she is an annoying skinnier cow now.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
cheezedoodle
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#14
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:55pm
...with a gay husband...don't forget the gay husband.
"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad
muscle23ftl Profile Photomuscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#15
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:31pm
Shocker! LOL
"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#16
Posted: 7/31/07 at 2:34pm
Oh my god, no. Not medical assistance. I am really taken aback at this news.

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of by having the surgery. My dad had it done because, after 35 years of fighting with his weight and never winning, he was tired and needed the help.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
Dark_Angel Profile PhotoDark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#17
Posted: 7/31/07 at 3:19pm
**Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz**
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#18
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:18pm
She looks like a black Nicole Ritchie with boobs.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
Kalimba Profile PhotoKalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#19
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:23pm
Very good analogy, boy from Ohio.
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#20
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:31pm
See, Rosie wouldn't lie to us!
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#21
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:01pm
This is just a media tactic to make her seem like "one of us" now. I don't think the timing had anything to do w/The View. I just think she's trying to create what she thinks is a more positive image- just in time for her new talk show this fall on Court TV. I hate to break the news honey- but you lost touch with the real people a long time ago! Even my daughter commented that when she was doing Payless ads she used to brag about her expensive shoes on The View. She did what Kathy Lee Gifford did- both would go on and on about how perfect their husbands are, blah blah blah. We all know what happened w/Frank. I'm just waiting for Al to slip- or at least get caught in a slip! Star is so fake!
What Lola Wants
Understudy
Understudy
re: Star Jones Admits to Surgery !#22
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:07am
LOL Love Boy From Ohio's analogy!

I think she looked way better before. She's just creepy looking now.