Page: 1

Would this be appropriate?

peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Would this be appropriate?#1
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:05pm
One of my co-workers passed away quite suddenly last week. I worked with this person regularly, so I am both shocked and sad to say the least. I would like to send a card to his family. Since they do not know me personally, would it be inappropriate to write a small note inside the card identifying myself as one of the man's co-workers? I was thinking of saying "I worked with (name) at (company)...our workplace was better for having him in it, and I have fond memories of his smile, sense of humor and friendship. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time." or something along those lines.

I want them to know that their family member touched the lives of many, and will be missed far and wide. I just didn't know if it was appropriate to do so, since they do not know me personally. What do you think?

I should point out that HR did provide the family's address to the staff so that we may send our own condolences as we deem individually appropriate. I believe the company is sending something as well.

shameless Profile Photoshameless Profile Photo
shameless
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#2
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:10pm
I think it's perfectly fine and that the family would appreciate it.
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#2
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:10pm
Perfect!
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#3
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:11pm
It sounds both appropriate and thoughtful.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photowonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#4
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:12pm
I think it would be a very nice, appropriate gesture.
I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
chicolini Profile Photochicolini Profile Photo
chicolini
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Would this be appropriate?#5
Posted: 7/26/07 at 1:13pm
I'm sure they'd appreciate any good thoughts. If you have a specific story to share (a good deed the coworker did, a funny story, something in particular he helped you with) even better.

Many times people don't get to see the "work side" of their loved ones and happy memories from strangers can really show them how much of an impact they had in the world.
Don't be too sure I'm as crooked as I'm supposed to be.
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#6
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:01pm
I agree with all. I think the family would be appreciative.
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#7
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:04pm
Wonderful idea!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#8
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:15pm
Your approach is so tasteful and thoughtful.

Just curious...

Why would you think that it wouldn't be appropriate?
What great ones do the less will prattle of
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#9
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:03pm
sounds fine to me
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#10
Posted: 7/26/07 at 11:06pm
it is totally appropriate!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
RockabyeHamlet
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#11
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:00am
I would be very touched if my family member passed away and I recieved a note like that from one of their coworkers. Very well written, and I am so sorry for your loss.
"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#12
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:06am
Very appropriate.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#13
Posted: 7/27/07 at 11:53am
I agree. It would probably mean more to the family than you will ever know. It is never inappropriate to send condolences to anyone. And coming from someone that they don't even know will be even more meaningful that you went out of your way to express your feelings.
PEACE.
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Would this be appropriate?#14
Posted: 7/27/07 at 12:57pm
Thanks all. The only reason I thought it might be inappropriate - or maybe more awkward than inappropriate - is that I sort of needed to "introduce" myself. Just seemed a little odd, considering the circumstances. But since I cannot attend the services (which are across the country), I wanted to at least send a card.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.