BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART

Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#0
Posted: 9/13/04 at 6:26pm
Did "Petticoat Junction" jump the shark when Bea Benaderet died?
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#1
Posted: 9/13/04 at 6:50pm
Thanks Beaverhausen. Though I can't recall one situation I remember liking HERE COME THE BRIDES. :)

Remember LOVE AMERICAN STYLE?
BT Profile PhotoBT Profile Photo
BT
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#2
Posted: 9/13/04 at 7:01pm
Ah, I used to love those star spangled nights, Glebb...
I sing for myself. I sing when I want, whenever I want to, just for me. I sing for my own pleasure. Do you understand that?
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#3
Posted: 9/13/04 at 7:02pm
That show makes me think of such luminaries as E. J. Peaker and Karen Valentine. :)
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#4
Posted: 9/13/04 at 7:18pm
Cool Beaverhausen, ~Father of Benji~ and Room 222. :)

Just Googled the show:
HERE COME THE BRIDES

CAST:
Jason Bolt.........................Robert Brown

Jeremy Bolt.........................Bobby Sherman

Joshua Bolt.........................David Soul

Lottie Hatfield.........................Joan Blondell
Candy Pruitt.........................Bridget Hanley
Aaron Stempel.........................Mark Lenard
Biddie Cloom.........................Susan Tolsky
Big Swede.........................Bo Svensen
Capt.Roland Francis Clancey....................Henry Beckman
Miss Essie Gillis.........................Mitzi Hoag
Ben Jenkins.........................Hoke Howell
Christopher Pruitt (1969-70).........................Eric Chase
Molly Pruitt(1969-70).........................Patti Cohoon

buddha2 Profile Photobuddha2 Profile Photo
buddha2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#5
Posted: 9/14/04 at 4:32am
J lockhart wasn't she the mom on Lost in Space? I haad such a childhood crush on "don" in thaat show, didn't even know what to do with junior but I knew he was hot. I remember petticoat junction but it rather bored me as a child, green acres much better
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#6
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:04am
I also remember seeing June Lockhart do a tv movie of the book "Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack". It was on the ABC Afterschool Special, (better known as the "You're a latchkey kid and tv is your babysitter, but it's only the 1970's and we don't have politically correct names for neglected children" show)
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#7
Posted: 9/14/04 at 9:56am
June Lockhart always rubbed me the wrong way - there was a mechanical, coolness in all her delivery that was just so lacking in warmth and tenderness - she was like a stepford wife to me, and therefore, I didn't want to watch programs where she was the mother (though I did watch Lost in Space anyway - there was enough campiness in the stories and acting styles to make it appealing.)
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#8
Posted: 9/14/04 at 7:31pm
For the life of me I can NOT remember Here Come the Brides. But have great memories of Green Acres Love American Style and Lost in Space and Petticoat Junction. Hmmm seems strange.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#9
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:36pm
You're right redhot. I've never had the game channel on until 2 days ago and they had an episode of Password with June Lockhart as a guest. She was almost scary. She sat so upright that she looked like she might have had a board up her back. Every hair was exactly in place (although the overall hairstyle was rather wierd) and she had a smile on her face that never changed. Her head was almost the only thing that moved, and it just turned left and right. Never up or down. For all intents and purposes she might have been a mannequin.

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that good posture and grooming were far more important in those days than today. Nevertheless, even then faces, hair, bodies, MOVED!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#10
Posted: 9/14/04 at 8:39pm
She was slightly more relaxed as Lucille Ballard in MEET ME IN ST LOUIS but one wonders if maybe she got all of her work due to her coloring. She was a technicolor dream.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#11
Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:59pm
OOOOH - Here Come the Brides - I had such a crush on the actor who played the oldest brother, and on David Soul, of course.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#12
Posted: 9/15/04 at 1:08pm
mom - you can't remember Here Come The Brides??
Bobby Sherman
Joan Blondell was Lottie...
I LOVED that show!
(And can still remember the theme song!)

Boobs and I saw June Lockhart on Sunday at The Boy From Oz. She still looks great!
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#13
Posted: 9/16/04 at 5:09am
Isn't that strange? We were just talking about the dear lady and she suddenly appears at Tavern on the Green having lunch with Timmy and Lassie!

NY Times
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#14
Posted: 6/8/05 at 8:27am
bump
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#15
Posted: 8/20/05 at 7:16am
Bumping for your consideration.
Therese
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#16
Posted: 8/20/05 at 7:29am
Oh, the nostalgia!!!

Bea Benaderet was the original Betty Rubble on the Flintstones and no one ever measured up to her afterwards. Before Petticoat Junction, she also had a recurring role as Pearl Bodine, Jethro's mother, on The Beverly Hillbillies.

And Here Come the Brides!! Oh my gosh, somebody needs to rerun that! The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle / And the hills the greenest green in Seattle... Don't ask me to remember the rest. That was the first thing I ever knew Joan Blondell from (she kept the saloon); didn't know she'd been in movies for years before that. Susan Tolsky (Biddie) has done a lot of voice-over work; she was Mrs. Muddlefoot, Honker's Mom, on "Darkwing Duck." I don't remember plots, but I know that Aaron Stempel ran the sawmill and was the "bad guy" always butting heads with the Bolt brothers. Man, those were the days!
"In my own little corner..."
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#17
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:08am
The premise of HERE COME THE BRIDES was sort of ripped off from SEVEN BRIDRES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS - only it was more like "A hundred bridred for a hundred dudes".

The men are lumberjacks in Seattle. There is only one woman in the entire town - Lottle, the middle aged barkeeper. The town of New Bedford, Mass., has a hundred young unmarried women and hardly any young men, so they send a shipload of girls to Seattle to find husbands.

I was 11 at the time. Every girl in the 6th grade was in love with Bobby Sherman. I was in love with Bridget Hanley, who shocked her young fans by marrying chubby, middle-aged producer E.W. Swackhammer!
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#18
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:32am
I remember Bridget Hanley too. Maybe it was the bright red hair? I just looked her up on IMDB and it showed her last appearance as being in 1990. It noted that she retired in '91 so that she could return to the theatre, and then that her husband had passed away in '94. Nothing was noted after that. I did look for her on IBDB and the Lortel Archives and neither had a listing for her. Maybe she found a career in local theatre?

edit: I don't know why my curiosity is piqued here, but I kept on looking and she is pretty active in regional theatre. She even has her own web site.
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 8/20/05 at 09:32 AM
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#19
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:45am
OK - who remembers the sitcom IT'S ABOUT TIME - in which two astronauts crash land their space capsule and fine themselves in caveman times. Joe E. Louis (the "Ooh! Ooh!" guy)and Imogene Coca were the cave couple.
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#20
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:54am
"It's about time
It's about space
About strange people in the strangest place"

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT JON? Now that &^%#!!! theme is stuck in my head.

A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#21
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:00am
The bluest sky you've ever seen, in Seattle.
And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle.
Like a beautiful child
Growing up, free and wild.
Full of hopes and full of fears,
Full of laughter, full of tears,
Full of dreams to last a year
In Seattle.

When you find your own true love you will know it
By his smile, by the look in his eyes.
Some set pine trees in the air
Or some stand around and stare
Look out everyone, Here Come the Brides.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#22
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:02am
much nicer
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Therese
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#23
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:25am
Yay, thanks for posting the "Seattle" lyrics!

And I just barely remember "It's About Time," mostly Imogene Coca and the beginning of the theme song.
"In my own little corner..."
grizzabella
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: BEA BENADERET/JUNE LOCKHART#24
Posted: 8/20/05 at 11:36am
I just discovered this thread, which is so nostalgic and fun! I haven't thought of Here Come The Brides in years and years, but remember loving it when I was a kid. My crushes were on David Soul and Robert Bolt. Hot! Thanks, Elphaba for posting the lyrics of the theme. Fun to remember.
Funny about everyone's comments about June Lockhardt being wooden. I remember reading an interview with her where she said that she wasn't really comfortable in the domestic "Mom" role, but it was work. She said in real life she was the most undomestic person on earth, never cooked and hired people to do mundane chores like housework. Maybe that's why she looked so out of place.
Funny. I have no memory at all of "It's About Time." And I always liked Imogene Coca. Wonder how I missed that.
"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."