Is Drew Lachey a Republican?

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile PhotoEvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is Drew Lachey a Republican?#0
Posted: 9/5/04 at 9:41am
After reading that both Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson are staunch Republicans, I started wondering whether Drew is too...

The thought of a staunch Republican playing Roger in the Broadway production of Rent has me concerned. I know, I know -- it's called "acting." But wouldn't casting someone who's loyal to the party [known for its popular opposition to homosexuality and poor record on AIDS response] in the lead role be at least a little wrong? I'm okay with the casting of internationally-recognized singers if that keeps the show running. But people who represent everything that Rent doesn't? Not okay.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Drew Lachey a Republican?#1
Posted: 9/5/04 at 10:10am
So Evelyn - I take it you supported the horrible repercussions for artists who spoke out against the Bush administration?
insomniak
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Drew Lachey a Republican?#2
Posted: 9/5/04 at 10:26am
He's playing Mark. And it's called acting.
amasis Profile Photoamasis Profile Photo
amasis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Drew Lachey a Republican?#3
Posted: 9/5/04 at 10:27am
"The thought of a staunch Republican playing Roger in the Broadway production of Rent has me concerned."

Just to clarify, Drew Lachey is playing Mark. No idea what his political beliefs are.

*edit: sorry for the double info; insomniak and I must have posted at the same time.
Updated On: 9/5/04 at 10:27 AM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#4
Posted: 9/5/04 at 11:19am
i think anyone who supports the bush administration in any way should not only be banned from ever working in the performing arts, but they should be deported and sent to live on a south seas island and made to drink rum and coconut drinks while laying on the beach all day in the hot sun!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
amasis Profile Photoamasis Profile Photo
amasis
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#5
Posted: 9/5/04 at 11:37am
papa - then I guess I am an honorary Republican already. Rum and coconut drinks on the beach.... yep.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#6
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:14pm
i will build my party the only way i know how: well oiled bodies and alcohol under a south of the border sun!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
NoDayButToday2 Profile PhotoNoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#7
Posted: 9/5/04 at 12:38pm
---i think anyone who supports the bush administration in any way should not only be banned from ever working in the performing arts, but they should be deported and sent to live on a south seas island and made to drink rum and coconut drinks while laying on the beach all day in the hot sun!---

do you realize how many people you could be banning from performing arts? i myself am not a republican but im not so much a democrat that i think about kicking all republicans out of musical theatre-- if they can perform well, then let them. their political beliefs should not be a factor in whether or not you support the show
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#8
Posted: 9/5/04 at 1:07pm
Yes. It is really called acting.

It pisses me off, because I really have heard people that seriously told me to get out of working in theater- because I'm a Republican. They say that "Republicans don't have a place on stage."

Oh really??
Updated On: 9/5/04 at 01:07 PM
musicalfandukie Profile Photomusicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#9
Posted: 9/5/04 at 1:09pm
who cares what he is!!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#10
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:35pm
The fact that you think a Republican shouldn't play a part in Rent has me concerned. If anything can be considered "un-American," it's bigotry based on political affiliation.
BroadwayDiva Profile PhotoBroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#11
Posted: 9/5/04 at 2:39pm
Not all Republicans are against homosexuality and things like that. He could be a liberal Republican (if that makes any sense).

But does it matter? It's acting, and if he can play Mark, then it's fine with me if he's a Republican or Democrat or Independent.
I have my books and my poetry to protect me...
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#12
Posted: 9/5/04 at 3:05pm
After reading that both Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson are staunch Republicans

My god, that explains so much!
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#13
Posted: 9/5/04 at 5:42pm
what exactly does it explain, blue?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Nina Myers Profile PhotoNina Myers Profile Photo
Nina Myers
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: is drew lachey a republican?#14
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:29pm
First off, I would like to say that while I'm not a Republican, I'm not necessarily a Democrat either. (no, I'm not hinting that I'm a Communist)

People automatically put tags on people who belong to a specific political party. The only problem is that a Democrat is simply one who belongs to the Democratic party, and a Republican is simply someone who belongs to the Republican party. This in no way reflects on what the person believes about certain issues.

Yes, while Republicans tend to be more conservative and Democrats tend to be more liberal, there are people within the group that don't necessarily agree with their party.
A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read - Mark Twain
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#15
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:49pm
I agree. I think the question EvelynNesbit1906 should be asking is whether Drew is anti-gay, etc. And, if so, the answer would still be that he is an actor, but I could see how one could be personally disgusted by that. If an actor was anti-gay, but would play a gay character or perform in a play or musical (or film) with gay characters to merely sevice their career at gays' expense, I would personally be disgusted.

However, this is a case where if he were anti-gay, he is only doing good for gays--at his expense.

Having said all this, I would highly doubt that Nick, Drew, and Jessica were anti-gay.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#16
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:51pm
Hey, I have no party affiliation and I'm fine with it.

Okay, I joined campus Democrats this semester to help with the Kerry campaign, but that's it. You see what Bush had made me sink to?

When it comes to voting, though, I'm not registered with any party. And I like it that way- hopefully it means people will judge me by my views, and not by a label.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#17
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:54pm
jrb, would you personally allow your disgust to keep you from playing the part of a republican?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#18
Posted: 9/5/04 at 6:54pm
No, I love playing bad guys!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#19
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:01pm
of course you do, jrb. everybody likes to be on the winning team.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#20
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:02pm
I have no clue how your comment makes sense, but I am glad that you think I am on the winning team: Go Kerry Go!
Updated On: 9/5/04 at 07:02 PM
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#21
Posted: 9/5/04 at 7:06pm
After reading that both Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson are staunch Republicans

My god, that explains so much!

Yes Blue, *please* tell us how this information enlightens you.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#22
Posted: 9/5/04 at 8:34pm
Political parties should not be associated with the performing arts. They all have a love for theatre...anyone can perform if they have the talent.
CCM '10!
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#23
Posted: 9/5/04 at 9:27pm
Yes Blue, *please* tell us how this information enlightens you.

I think I've angered some Republicans. re: is drew lachey a republican?
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: is drew lachey a republican?#24
Posted: 9/5/04 at 9:28pm
Blue - not necessarily angered, but perhaps raised the issue of preconception and stereotyping.

Page: 1