Page: 1

Reagan Jr. and Stem Cell Research

iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Reagan Jr. and Stem Cell Research#0
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:20pm
Well, Ron Jr., in addressing the DNC, stated that he was not there to talk politics. But call me crazy, when a Republican addresses a Democratic Convention, passionately, on behalf of a cause that has been actively blocked by the current Republican administration....is there any other way to perceive it than as a giant "F*ck You" to Bush and the boys?

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Reagan Jr. and Stem Cell Research#1
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:21pm
It was a good, passionate speech.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#2
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:23pm
yep, he was not there to make a political point and i think jfk2's got an effective strategy for iraq.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
MargoChanning Profile PhotoMargoChanning Profile Photo
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#3
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:52pm
By the way, he's not a Republican -- his mom is and his dad was, but he's always been a left-wing atheist (which caused much consternation in his family). By his own words, the only reason he's not a Democrat is that they're way to the right of his politics.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#4
Posted: 7/27/04 at 10:53pm
How long will he take him to switch parties after Nancy is no longer "with us"?
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#5
Posted: 7/27/04 at 11:59pm
Ron Jr. is a former dancer (I forget which ballet company), is divorced from his wife and never remarried--and gay.

Is there any wonder he's not a Republican?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#6
Posted: 7/28/04 at 8:37am
Ron Jr. was with the Joffrey II. I had a friend who danced with the company at the same time. I met him a couple times - he seemed very nice but distant.

If he is gay, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for anyone who feels they have to live a lie for family reasons.

Who I don't feel sorry for is Mary Cheney. She is out and supposedly proud, but stays shut away while her homophobic father and the administration screams about gay marriage instead of dealing with the mess they've created for this country. You would think she would have something to say.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
NYadgal Profile PhotoNYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#7
Posted: 7/28/04 at 9:31am
What are you talking about?

Ron Jr. is married.

Whether or not he's gay is another question, but he's married. His wife was by his side during all of the ceremonies for his father.
"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#8
Posted: 7/28/04 at 3:00pm
South Fl Marc- Regarding Mary Cheney, things like that are always made more complicated by family ties. There's a good chance she still loves her father, and doesn't want to completely wreck her relationship with him or the rest of her family. Being a relative of the Vice President doesn't obligate her to be a gay pride symbol.
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#9
Posted: 7/28/04 at 3:10pm
Plum, you make an excellent point.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#10
Posted: 7/28/04 at 4:24pm
It doesn't obligate her to be a gay pride symbol, but it is kind of sad to see her pushed back into the closet by her father.

Considering he has a lesbian for a daughter, Dick Cheney, by pushing the federal marriage amendment, shows what a hateful, disgusting creature he really is.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#11
Posted: 7/28/04 at 4:26pm
amen to that marc.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#12
Posted: 7/28/04 at 4:33pm
I believe the woman who stood beside Ron Jr. during his father's funeral ceremonies was his EX wife--the mother of his children.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#13
Posted: 7/28/04 at 8:20pm
He's still married, but I thought the gay thing went away. Wasn't it really about his being a dancer? (His homophobic dad said, infamously, "...we made sure he was all boy..." or some such. Of course, many a gay man is all boy, but never mind. And never mind that Ronnie Sr was a Hollywood creation, who spent much of his career around powerful gay men..) Does anyone get a gaydar vibe from him? I don't. I think he's found his voice, and found his arena, and indeed, found an era to employ both. He's certainly sharper tongued, and smarter, than I recall from the 80s. But then, we're all wiser and more cynical. I honestly think: if he were gay, we'd know by now. I mean, he hasn't been arrested for walking his dog in the London park at 4:45 a.m. or nothin. I thought he was extraordinary last night. But who wrote the speech? It was medically vetted, I did hear that--and therein isits power.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/28/04 at 08:20 PM
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#14
Posted: 7/28/04 at 8:52pm
My guess is that he knows a lot about the topic by now. It sounded to me like he has taken what he's heard and read, tried to make it plain and accessible, and double-checked his facts with a pro, just to be sure.

Glad to have him on my side of this fight. Nothing is as effective as when a spokesperson for a cause has passion born of personal loss.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#15
Posted: 7/28/04 at 8:53pm
His speech was quite well delivered, and well written.
Hamlet's father.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#16
Posted: 7/28/04 at 8:59pm
Stem cell research is a god send to science. It is going to be the key to finding cures for cancer, ALS, MD, CF, CP, cancer,AD and hopefully (though not for me, but my daughter) neurofibromatosis,also called NF. Doctors and scientist need this research and they needed it yesterday!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#17
Posted: 7/28/04 at 9:06pm
And transplants, too... don't forget them.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reagan jr. and stem cell research#18
Posted: 7/28/04 at 9:11pm
Thanks iflit!! Yes organ rejection is the big hurdle
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien