Page: 1

Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#0
Posted: 6/18/04 at 1:22pm
Here are my thoughts on the tour. I would love it if only those who have seen the show would post their reviews. Nasty comments and pointless debates about whether or not she is still relevant should be posted on other threads.

June 16, 2004

This was my first time to ever see Madonna live--been a fan for 21 years, since the very first album. It was incredible. She is absolutely gorgeous and being able to see that electric energy of hers with my own eyes--not filtered through a camera and a tv or screen--was exhilirating. She sounded flawless (even I can admit that sometimes she has sounded like crap live). She was in fantastic voice and has never sounded better--and I've always thought her voice was perfect for pop music--and, yes, she was most certainly singing live. Hearing her sing from EVITA was a thrilling moment--it would be exciting if she ever performed EVITA in concert (even better if she would be up for 6 - 8 shows a week in a revival). My favorite songs were the hard rock versions of "Burning Up" and "Material Girl"--I just love the idea of Madonna and guitar--I've always thought she would kick ass with hard music, and she does.

I would have enjoyed a stronger relationship between the songs and the way the songs were told. Blond Ambition was practically a Broadway musical. Her last two concerts were a collection of mini-musicals or themes. This concert felt the most like a normal rock concert--which really is fine. I just always enjoyed how Madonna takes it to that next step. There were certainly grand theatrics onstage, just more abstract. Visually, the show was breathtaking. The video screens were AMAZING and AWESOME. I was seated about as far from the stage as you would be if you won lottery tickets for HAIRSPRAY (last row of mezz). However, a huge V-shaped unit that lowered to the floor, divided the distance almost in half. I was happy I was close enough that she didn't look like an ant--here I could clearly see her face!!

It was great seeing her perform classic songs as well as some of her new material. Vogue was the perfect opener for me--it just felt like a perfect "Madonna" moment for its being my first moment to see her.

I know I'm rambling here and gushing, but I think I will have to see it again (live or on HBO (or CBS??)) to go into more detail. I just thought it was an incredible concert and well worth the wait and the price.

Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#1
Posted: 6/18/04 at 1:27pm
Bravo JRB Bravo!
bwaylyric Profile Photobwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#2
Posted: 6/18/04 at 1:30pm
What a huge improvement from the awful Drowned World Tour! Definitley not the Madonna (Esther?) we were used to seeing in past concerts (foul-mouthed sex kitten), but nonetheless just pure talent onstage. Love how she worked that conveyor belt...especially in those waist-high boots.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#3
Posted: 6/18/04 at 1:33pm
She was so cute! She really has a more playful, humble persona. Maybe that isn't as fun as Blond Ambition Madonna, but it's nice to see her focusing on having fun and making great music!
junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#4
Posted: 6/18/04 at 2:06pm
Glad that you enjoyed the show, JRB! I've seen Madonna live twice - on The Virgin Tour and The Who's That Girl Tour, but it's been awhile for me now. I'll post my review after I see M. in July.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#5
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:00pm
bump for bronte and for voiceanth to post within
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#6
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:05pm
Updated On: 10/27/05 at 04:05 PM
junglered Profile Photojunglered Profile Photo
junglered
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#7
Posted: 6/21/04 at 4:07pm
Looking forward to your review, B-day boy!
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Madonna - Reviewing the Re-invention#8
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:53pm
They just showed a clip of her on tv performing in NY. I love how she works that conveyor belt.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!