Page: 1

Question for those who sing

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Question for those who sing#0
Posted: 5/3/04 at 6:50pm
I really am not a singer, but I am going to perform in a musical piece. Anyway, my question is this-when learning a song, do you first memorize the lyrics without listening to the music, or do you memorize the lyrics along with listening to the instrumentals at the same time? Thanks for any help you can give me!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question for those who sing#1
Posted: 5/3/04 at 7:10pm
It depends on the song. For me, I usually learn ballad lyrics with the music. For more complicated patter or upbeat tunes, I'll rehearse the lyrics rhythmically slowly and then build up to tempo to accomplish both memorizing the lyrics and enunciation. Then I'll add the music. But of course, when no piano or accompanist is available, endless looping of the cast recording is invaluable to learning lyrics if the recording uses the same version of the score.

PS - If the performance relies heavily on acting, when rehearsing alone, forget the music, forget the rhythm. Concentrate on the intent of the words as if they are spoken dialogue and apply the intent and stress to the music. Good songs have the emotionally stressed words naturally stressed in the music.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 5/3/04 at 07:10 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Question for those who sing#2
Posted: 5/3/04 at 7:31pm
Thanks Matt, that makes sense.
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Question for those who sing#3
Posted: 5/3/04 at 9:18pm
Yeah for me, it depends completely on the type of song. When I was learning the words to a french song for a classical voice audition, I memorized the words separately from the music. But for a "legit" belting piece, I go with the music and just listen to recordings.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bet it's easier if you're trying to learn a popular song, or one that you're familiar with from a show. But this situation is different, and HARD for me. This is original music and lyrics, which don't follow a repeated rhythm, it kind of scatters all over the place. OY! But thanks for the advice!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But don't try to copy a recording. You have to make it your own and rarely does sheet match the arrangement (or key, etc.) on the CD anyway.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Words to live by JRB, I'm scrambling to get the sheet music for Good Man Charlie Brown, I should have it by tomorrow. re: re: re: re: re: re: Question for those who sing I will get to see if Snoopy is actually in the original key on the recording. I just need someone to play the accompaniement for me. I have both the OBC and the Revival so hopefully that'll help having two different recordings until I hear it. re: re: re: re: re: re: Question for those who sing
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My acting teacher insists on learning any song as a monologue first - its truly helpful. You have to shake off the rhyme schemes and the feel of staying in tempo - just learn it and perform it as a monologue (this way you will truly connect with the material and make it make sense to you) then simply add pitch to the lyrics and let the song fly. It sounds much easier than it is - but in the end the results are wonderful if you let yourself go with it.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with making the song your own. I use cast recordings simply to memorize the basic melody and lyrics. I cannot stand to see singers simply copy the performance of the original singer. There's simply no point to it. Make the song your own and see what you can find in the song that may have not been previously discovered.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
You definetly have to find a way that works for you. Different performers have different methods, and you have to find your own. So try everything to see what you think works the best. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Question for those who sing
You've gotta have heart AND music
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Matt and I studied with the same great teacher in Houston--Ann Ostrow, who is Stuart Ostrow's wife. (he produced Pippin, 1776, M Butterfly among MANY others). She was the BOMB!! =)
HunterFosterIsMyGod Profile PhotoHunterFosterIsMyGod Profile Photo
HunterFosterIsMyGod
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I usually go for with the music.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks again you all! I guess as with anything else, you have to do what works for you~
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Question for those who sing#13
Posted: 5/4/04 at 3:46pm
I've been told that I have a great ear for music -- not only can I learn a piece once and never forget it, I can also tell where the music is going.

Typically, I'll have someone play it for me and then I'll just feel it out... and work on it till it's my own.

That's just me though -- many people have told me I'm just plain weird for that. lol
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Question for those who sing#14
Posted: 5/4/04 at 4:49pm
I'll usually get the tune first -- I'm known for 'blah blah blah'ing when I have the tune down but don't know the words yet. But I'd rather get the music right and fiddle with words later.

Also be careful with cast albums because sometimes when you sing what you think you're hearing you'll find out it's not exactly what's written.
dramaqueen Profile Photodramaqueen Profile Photo
dramaqueen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
also-try not to listen to the recording before you make acting choices for the song-if u cant help it because of tune-whatever-but it shows when u make ur own choices
:) cco
wannabactor
Swing
Swing
It is easier for me to learn the music/melody of the song. If you can hum the melody sooner or later the words just find their way into your head and you know them.

Page: 1