Page: 1

Can someone help me figure out this song?

orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can someone help me figure out this song?#0
Posted: 3/31/04 at 5:28pm
The title is either Sherry or Cheri. It's a duet involving a man and a woman gossiping about their friends. Does anyone know the correct title an dthe show it's from? I belive Kristine Baranski sang the female part
http://www.danperezgallery.com
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it's from SHERRY and is the title song. It's short for Sheridan, the main character. The show is the musical version of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. The lyrics are by James Lipton of "Inside the Actor's Studio" fame. Rosenthal was the composer. There was a recent studio cast recording with Carol Burnett and Nathan Lane singing those roles. Nathan was repeating his role from the revival of the comedy. The song also appears on one of those old "unsung Broadway" compilations. The original musical was in 1967 but didn't last the entire season.

Is that enough?
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh Tex, once again playing the hero and coming to my rescue. It was driving me crazy. I had heard it on one of those compilations that a freind had and for some reason it got stuck in my head today out of nowhere. That got me wondering about it.

Thanks.
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i had wanted to see that revival of the comedy (it may have been Roundabout---Jean Smart was opposite Nathan Lane). i love her acting. i'm not sure who recorded the "Unsung Broadway" version and haven't heard it in years, but it may well have been Baranski. i'd like to hear the whole score from that studio cast recording.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know positively that the version I heard was Baranski. That may have been the unsung Broadway cd
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i remember hearing that version and halfway recognizing the voices. Was the male singer maybe Kelsey Grammer? i've thought for a while he'd make a good "Sherry" if he can develop technique to remember lines and lyrics.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The revival was telecast & I remember being very unimpressed Nathan's Whiteside was too whiney not overbearing enough . Jean Smart was too loud & crass. Can't remember who played Beverly- only that I liked him. A mind is a terrible thing to waist. ( or a wasit is a terrible thing to mind...)
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
graightbigsmile Profile Photograightbigsmile Profile Photo
graightbigsmile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Christine Baranski does the duet with Jonathan Freeman. It's on the CD Unsung Musicals. Great song!
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SABRE, i'd respectfully remind you that performances meant for the stage and videotaped are not always the most subtle. Both Smart and Lane have many gently shaded screen performances to their credit; perhaps the best way to evaluate their performances for the stage is in person. They can also play against type: some of you may remember Smart's turn, long before MONSTER, in a chilling TV film about Aileen Wournos (sp? the bisexual serial killer from Florida). Lane's work in a similarly forgotten TV version of THE BOYS NEXT DOOR is also not to be missed...his typical humor, but with a pathos that avoids sentimentality.

i maintain i wish i could have seen MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER live in revival.