Page: 1

political advice

nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
political advice#0
Posted: 3/21/04 at 7:24pm
so im a 17 year old, living in a small rural town and i can vote in the november elections. my parents and just about all or their friends are republicans and are not shy about it.
i registered "independent", but i pretty much hear the story from a very one sided standpoint.

i know this is a very strange request, but im looking for some political advice from somewhere other than the "arch-conservative" types. i could always read magazines and newspapers, which i sometimes do, but i think it is better to hear from actual people. please help and be as candid as you like.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: political advice#1
Posted: 3/21/04 at 8:04pm
My best current political advice is "anyone but Bush" for a hundred different reasons, most of which have already discussed to death here. But with a little elbow grease and the "search" feature on the OT board, you can certainly locate some of those threads. And I am sure that more will pop up as the nominating conventions near.

There are some fine online publications that will present issues in a way that balances those views predominating in your home environment. I encourage you to take a look at my favorite, Salon.com. Some of the articles are available for free, but I think there is a $20 fee for a year's premium access...money well-spent in my opinion.
http://www.salon.com/

The Village Voice another goldmine for reading the liberal political perspective. And it ain't too shabby when it comes to covering the arts, either.
http://www.villagevoice.com/

The more familiar you become with the various issues, the more interesting the whole election process will be for you. And pretty soon you'll be in the position to start formulating your own opinions. I think it's terrific that you are interested enough to want to explore others perspectives from those you hear all the time.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 3/21/04 at 08:04 PM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: political advice#2
Posted: 3/21/04 at 8:15pm
You should check out Bush and Kerry's webpages and see how which issues you care about match up with their stances.

nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: political advice#3
Posted: 3/21/04 at 9:42pm
thanks, i think it is a very important decision, and i am not taking it lightly

i will read over these links and continue with my research re: re: re: political advice