Page: 1

Al Sharpton -- who knew we'd giggle, even applaud him?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Watching these debates, it's been most enjoyable to hear the marginalized Al Sharpton -- once at best a joke -- find a voice, and yes, even his own strange gravitas, in the Democratic party. I used to laugh at him (or worse). Now, I wait to listen. Anyone else out there admit: Rev. Al is a new ... political guilty pleasure? Shockingly, I shove Tawana aside now, and relish his wit (who knew, again?!) and passion in dumping on this regime. He's not a player, so he's fearless. His babble tonight about Bush as liar -- convoluted, from the pulpit, sure -- made me want to applaud right here at home. And trust me, I'm not someone who would've REMOTELY enjoyed Al 6 months ago. Maybe ... just maybe ... the tent is big enough for everybody, even (forgive my patronizing tone) Al Sharpton.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 2/15/04 at 07:52 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Auggie, No giggle, no applause. I'm going to yell "shame" on the very thought of any credibility given to Sharpton to even allow him on the same stage as any Presidential hopeful, Democrat or Republican. This guy has wasted taxpayers money, evaded his own tax responsbilities, etc., and is total sham. The liberal press has gone out of its way to lend a stature to this joke who is totally unworthy of any credibility. I agree with you he is a joke but he's a joke who should be kept far away from any legitimacy as possible. I don't buy the "anyone" can be President cry. If you don't pay your taxes you've no right to be on the ballot.

Broadway Bulldog.
Updated On: 2/15/04 at 09:10 PM
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If Republicans can be represented by why-not-blood-for-oil-we-ned-oil Anne Coulter, telling us triple amputee Max Cleland could've lost his 3 limbs "anywhere," not just in Viet Nam ... even "on the way to a bar" ... then there's a place for just about anyone. Even Al.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I am less informed so there's no argument I can make on that point. I am informed enough however to know that Sharpton is a joke. Does this clown even know about Viet Nam? No, most likely. Too busy then working the system to his own advantage. The guy really is a crook and provacateur. He has no place on any legitmate political platform. Just my uninformed opinion.

Bulldog.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bulldog, informed or uninformed, and we're all one or the other at times ... my point was that Sharpton's role is a surprise -- my use of "guilty pleasure" very much the shock here. Going into this -- at the top of the Big Nine era -- I thought he was an irritation, a nasty distraction that kept us from hearing men and women we should've been hearing. I am as startled as anyone that he's been able to participate, and land so many pertinent observations. Ironically, all of that has been possible, in a way, BECAUSE he is not remotely a serious contender.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understood, Auggie. The guy is comical no doubt and "guilty" beyond any doubt. It is rather disheartening that the press gives him any coverage. By doing so they give him a level of legitimacy that is whole underserved. He deserves no stage because he is a minority. The guy is a tax-evading fraud who should be called out by the press and the Democrats. This an example of the sad extremities of political correctness. Fear of being labeled racist is no reason to give this joke credibility with a national forum, in my very humble and uninformed opinion.

Bulldog
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Well, I am less informed so there's no argument I can make on that point."

Words to live by, Bulldog. In every discussion.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think there ought to be a minimum level of education for someone being considered as a presidential candidate. Rev. Sharpton is not so much unintelligent as he is under-educated.

That being said, he really *was* on his game tonight. Sometime he makes incredibly astute observations..which always makes me pause for a moment. I agree that he doesn't belong in the "big league", but since he there, it's nice to see him saying some things that need to be said.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bulldog has what we, in polite company, refer to as Upper West Side Ignorance.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The question Iflit is why he is on a national forum. Everyone agrees he doesn't belong but there he is. The networks should be held accountable as should be The NY Times and the other liberal press and journalists. This guy has no legitimacy to run for election, in any contest at any level. No doubt he makes a fool of himself, and no doubt he might make a few points that no one else dare utter, he knows the press will not attack him else he charges racism. Lord knows, the mainstream liberal press would never let race color the slant of any of their valuable contributions to the betterment of society. The liberal press is just as accountable for wasting taxpayers' money by allowing this clown to get on the national stage as is clown Sharpton himself.

You've piqued my interest however in watching him make a fool of himself. So I'll have to start watching now.

Cheers! Bulldog.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ouch dammit! root beer right through my freakin' nose, you farging bastages.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree he adds some spice to the debates. He knows he doesn't have a shot, so he just says what he thinks and screw the rest. It kind of reminds me of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE. The "couch-pundit" has reached the podium. I am all for a good pot stirring, especially in an election year. Keep it up, Al.

By the way, I saw Carol Mosely Braun up close this weekend, and she is so beautiful and classy.
PEACE.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What I love about unthinking people of every political bent is this belief that people can not change and grow or experience any redemption at all. That whoever Sharpton or anybody they don't like was, at any point in time, is who they still are, and always will be, fixed like that for all eternity. People who think this way tend to often be miserable, because they have absolutely no hope for other people, or for the world changing for the better.

And tho it's not true that everybody who criticizes Sharpton is being blatantly racist, it is true that the more Bulldog goes on and on with his Upper West Side Ignorance, the more he reveals his (white) stripes, you should excuse the expression.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You got it right Sueleen. Ole Al can say anything cause he knows any criticism of him will be met with the cry of "racist." And that from one who used that term to ruin several lives including Twanna Brawley. Thank the press for that one. They bit every little worm he threw at them.

papa, got to watch those root beers! they'll do it to you everytime.

Bulldog

Updated On: 2/16/04 at 04:42 PM
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"By the way, I saw Carol Mosely Braun up close this weekend, and she is so beautiful and classy."

And smart, too. I predict...or maybe I just hope...that in a Democratic White House, she has earned a plum assignment. I envision her as the Ambassador to the UN.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"[i] envision her as the [a]mbassador to the [un]."

whatever she gets it will have to be something that doesn't require senate confirmation as she'd never get past the committee stage.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"she'll never get past the committee stage"...

Why do you say that?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
she's made enough comments over the course of her career to make howlin' howie's "i have a scream" speech look level headed. the only reason they were not scrutinized was the fact that the press knew she had no chance.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The kind of comments that would make me like her even more, no doubt?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
probably, but remember that should the democrats gain the executive branch they'd better hope they get both houses of congress otherwise it's going to be one filibuster after another on nominees as the gop sings, "turnabout's fair play."

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort