Bush to Gays and Lesbians: I'll support the first ever constitutional amendment designed to deny rights to a group

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you, Mr. President, for being explicit about which groups must never expect to feel the love and warmth of your brand of "compassionate conservatism."
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Where did you find that quote? I need to find an article about that.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was paraphrasing the State of the Union. Like the Post did with "Ford to City: Drop Dead."

ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too Namo. Like I said in the other thread, I seriously need to consider why I would want to live in a country that wants to pass a constitional ammendment to deny me rights based on my sexual orientation. Maybe this will be the thing that will make me consider another poster's generous (and not at all cynical) offer to give me a one way plane ticket out of the country.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I myself looked into moving to Quebec. But they won't have me. I don't parle French and I don't work in the six sectors they are recruiting among. Toronto is too far away from my family... but Ottawa maybe. I have a biker friend there, but I digress. I would DEFINITELY become a Canadian citizen, if only they would have me.

I am also at work on getting dual citizenship in Ireland. My grandparents were from there... if you can prove your parents or grandparents were from Ireland you can get citizenship, although they are going to stop offering this later this year.

One of my best friends has done this because he can no longer tolerate his commander in chief.

Look homos, the president of the country doesn't want us here. And he has the apparatus to enforce his control. So much for "the government out of people's private lives." Such two-faced lies!
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought about Canada too, but considering the astronomical unemployment rate there, I don't think they'd be too keen on letting me in.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you are offered a job in Canada for which no qualified Candians can be found, you're in. I also know somebody who became a landed immigrant there a long time ago, because he started a business that created jobs for Canadians. I don't know if they still have that rule, but obviously it costs a lot of start up money.

When I think about how much I am coming to hate the land of my birth, and I think of all the jingoists who say to "love it or leave it," I think of Belize's line in Angels in America. "I don't have to love America, I live here."

The time is coming for the outing of heterosexual politicians who are adulterers and do not hold up "the sanctity of marriage." Republicans and Democrats alike.

The time is also coming for a big general gay strike, in which every gay and lesbian person in the country simply refuses to go to work. Think of that and quiver in your boots, citizens of Broadway.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ooooo ... can I go on strike now? I'm not liking the way today is going here at the office.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it might work better if everybody does it on the same day, but if you would like to use today as a rehearsal, I support you.
tpdc
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
More people voted for Al Gore than Bush. Bush had no mandate to make Constitutional amendments. How about letting Bush be president of the states that voted for him and those of us in other states can be left alone. Or THEY can move to another place have their rich white wealthy straight (or closeted self hating gay) boys club. Why should we have to move to Canada? How about having a government that truly believes in "justice and liberty for all", like the Constitution already says, here?
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
strictly speaking, even though he broached the topic, the president really has little or no role to play in the amendment process. he can cheerlead, but that's about it. it's up to both houses of congress which must each pass it by a 2/3 majority, and then, traditionally, the state legislatures where it must pass in 3/4 of the states within the generally allotted 7 years (time limits are specified by congress). i say traditionally because it can also be specified that the states call conventions to vote on teh measure. at no point does the president vote on it or against it, nor can he veto it. now, does anyone see such a measure passing all of those hurdles? i know, i know, that's not the point, but isn't it really?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 1/21/04 at 02:28 PM
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To the more informed on this board... (because I don't know)
The Defense of Marriage Act was signed in 1996 by Clinton, right? Was that supposed to be the "final say" on marriage? Defining it? Were people upset then?

I don't want the federal government defining something like that. This is one of those issues I hate. Why can't two people who love each other make a legal and spiritual committment to each other? Why should the government be involved?

Hell they would probably make money on taxes (the "marriage penalty) if they gave up and let consenting adults wed when and where they want.
Hamlet's father.
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I certainly hope it doesn't pass those hurdles Papa. But the fact that the Commander in Chief of the USA can stand up in front of the nation and voice support for such a notion makes me sick.
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh and CK...yes I was upset at Clinton's defense of marriage act. Just as I was upset about his "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was certainly upset at the Defense of Marriage Act (as was my family) in 1996 and I do remember there being a bit of uproar about it. It's one thing vote against legalization of homosexual marriage or unions when it's brought to vote, but it's another to pass a law saying it can never be legal. That's just fear and spite. The same thing happened in Texas.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Let's put a man on Mars...Let's make all the illegal aliens legal...let's keep marriage between a man and a woman..." it is all just a bunch of Election year campaigning. Tell the people what they want to hear, get re-elected and then go back to buisness as usual.
PEACE.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo - I do think the strike is a good idea if there were enough willing to take the risk to do it (I know my bosses would be supportive). It would be interesting to see the public reaction to those who don't hold stereotypical homosexual jobs (hair stylists, actors, interior designers, etc). If only we could get the closeted to participate...
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK...It's set then! Pre-Strike cocktails at my place, and then we can discuss our "Homomsexual Agenda" for world domination.

Michael
BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
What about boycotting major corporations?
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
heh heh heh, so zee lavendar mob ees plannink a leetle strike, eh? must keep quiet und keep to zee shadows...i vill pass amonk zem und penetrate zeir nefarious cabal. vonce i am inside...heh heh heh...i vill determine zeir plans und report back to he who speaketh in tongues. muah-hahahahaha....ah-hahahahaha *cough, cough*

it's so tough to be menacing with a cold.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 1/21/04 at 04:13 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm just so sick of it all. And that Tom Brady sitting behind Laura Bush clapping away. I never thought I would say this, but I hope the Patriots LOSE LOSE LOSE. And my open invitation to Mr. Brady for a date of an adult nature is officially cancelled. CANCELLED.

Yes, CK, many of us were livid when Clinton signed DOMA, defending marriage. God. "Defending" marriage.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh sure, namo, blame it on brady's being there. you know you like saying jake delhomme...yeah, say it with me...del-ohhhm...be that as it may, i cannot cheer against my boy, belichick. he's the mad scientist of the nfl.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Listen, Bill is the very notion of my idea of the concept of Daddy. But I am so peeved at The Golden Boy, that I will cheer for the Panthers.
JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Also remember:

"But amending the US Constitution is a lengthy and difficult process. Only 27 amendments have been approved in more than 200 years. " - Yahoo
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
: re: re: re: bus#24
Posted: 1/21/04 at 7:11pm
All I have to say Novemeber can't come fast enough for me. I'd vote for Mickey Mouse to get Bush out of office.

I love the bit about job education to get a better job. Hello--100 people go for the job education, there's STILL only 5 jobs available. 95 people are STILL out of work and now have a student loan to pay back, thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for job education but to there has to be the JOB at the end of it to make it worth while.

D