Posted: 7/16/20 at 10:31am

" He's a brilliant talent. Nice to see you back, Yankee.  "

Thanks Sutton.

BroadwayAndSports
Understudy
Understudy
Chad Kimball#52
Posted: 9/16/20 at 5:22pm

Guess I missed this thread. I just recently noticed how far-right Chad Kimball is getting on Twitter. In 2016 his tweets show that he's a Republican but anti-Trump, he supported Rubio. I disagree with Rubio on plenty but that's a respectable position to take. But lately he's gone completely MAGA including liking things such as "Media Hype Over COVID 19 Is A Hoax" and a vaguely QAnon "awakened" meme. This isn't Christian or even conservative, it's horrid. 

I don't know how he reconciles this ideology with having fellow cast and crew who are oppressed by the MAGA agenda and followers. It's sad because he's great in CFA and shares a beautiful story. But it's a story about acceptance and love, not screaming about hating Marxists over and over. 

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#53
Posted: 9/16/20 at 5:55pm

HogansHero said: "proving once again that a person can be nice and generous and loving and talented and still be as stupid as owl dung."

Made my day!!  I spend too much time trying to work out that contradiction.

joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#54
Posted: 9/16/20 at 6:19pm

JBroadway said: "While I strongly disagree with Kimball's stance on the police, I don't think it's accurate to call this a "far right" stance. Many liberal, left-wing people do not consider police defunding or abolition to be the best way to handle police violence. The ACAB/Abolitionist/Defunding movement has only recently gained popular traction, and is still relatively fringe compared to say, the movement for gay marriage. If you had asked me 6 months ago, I probably would have argued that police abolition was a bad idea too. It's really only in the past few months that I've really become aware of the information and arguments in favor police defunding/abolition, and been won over to them. And yet, 6 months ago I certainly wasn't "far right.""

He clearly knows nothing about what's happening in Seattle, though, where the police force contains people who belong to white supremacist organizations, and yet supposed physical threats to them are nonexistent, thus leading protestors to almost die from laughing at the claim the department is in any kind of danger (may work better to dispel a crowd than tear gas). Odd that someone from Seattle would be so unaware of the reality. There was a staged video of a supposed vandalism attack on a police station. Produced by the police, of course. That brought a lot of unintended pleasure to those in the Autonomous Zone at the time. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile PhotoBroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#55
Posted: 9/16/20 at 7:02pm
Unfortunately, some straight cos white men won’t ever get it. He’s one of them
JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#56
Posted: 9/16/20 at 7:49pm

@Joevitus

It's worth noting that I wrote that 2 full months ago, and I went on to write more posts condemning his views once I looked through his Twitter and realized he was a full-on Trumpster 

joevitus Profile Photojoevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#57
Posted: 9/16/20 at 9:59pm

JBroadway said: "@Joevitus

It's worth noting that I wrote that 2 full months ago, and I went on to writemore posts condemning his views once I looked through his Twitter and realized he was a full-on Trumpster
"

Sorry if it appeared I was criticizing you when I was criticizing Kimball. I think very highly of you, just figured you weren't aware what had been going on in Seattle. I myself did not realize he had gone full-on Trumpster. 

Updated On: 9/16/20 at 09:59 PM
BroadwayAndSports
Understudy
Understudy
Chad Kimball#58
Posted: 9/16/20 at 11:04pm

JBroadway said: "@Joevitus

It's worth noting that I wrote that 2 full months ago, and I went on to writemore posts condemning his views once I looked through his Twitter and realized he was a full-on Trumpster
"

Yeah it's unfortunate but it seems Chad has gotten more and more extreme the last couple months. For some reason (maybe being isolated from the accepting, diverse Broadway community) he seems to have become very deep into MAGA. 

ViniFromBrazil
Understudy
Understudy
Chad Kimball#59
Posted: 9/16/20 at 11:40pm

It boggles my mind that people from Broadway still support Trump! I mean oh my god Brazil and the U.S.A. are in so much trouble!

I also second the opinion that no matter the body of work of an actor, his public "likes" and posts certainly make it fair game for him to be judged.

Mostly because once upon a time people just didn't care about posting stuff on facebook or whatever, but now if you care enough about something that you need to publicly support it with a like, chances are you actually DO want to get attention on you, and you want to be seen as whatever that is.

My only concern is that as I see it, he couldn't care less about what liberals (and Broadway World's liberals) think about him because he is certainly already gone in the far-light q-nnon agenda so if a liberal takes a hit, he will certainly play the victim card. Ugh.

EDIT: And by the way, I totally believe that people can be totally different in real live from what they are like online, even if you're not going anonymous, it is widely known that being part of an online community brings about an element of tribalism into people's interactions.

Updated On: 9/16/20 at 11:40 PM
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#60
Posted: 9/17/20 at 9:16am

"They are not. He just seems like a Republican to me, it does not mean he is a Trump supporter. I just don't see a person who donates plasma for further Covid19 research, who raises money for Broadway Cares, who also raises money for masks for healthcare workers, who support and loves his wife, and who is loved and respected by the Broadway community as some kind of immoral person."

Excellent post.

HogansHero Profile PhotoHogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#61
Posted: 9/17/20 at 10:45am

with the understanding that assessing "morality" is a uniquely individual thing, I don't see how the quoted statement is anything but a non-sequitur. Unless you disclaim the notion (articulated above) that a single soul can hold both good and bad things, how can one say categorically that the good outweighs the bad on the morality scale? Let's take this out of the political spectrum: if someone has devoted their life to philanthropy but also has a hobby of using humans for target practice, is that person moral?

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#62
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:22am

HogansHero said: "with the understanding that assessing"morality" is a uniquely individual thing, I don't see how the quoted statement is anything but a non-sequitur. Unless you disclaim the notion (articulated above) that a single soul can hold both good and bad things, how can one say categorically that the good outweighs the bad on the morality scale? Let's take this out of the political spectrum: if someone has devotedtheir life to philanthropy but also has a hobby of using humans for target practice, is that person moral?"

Again, the bumping of this thread after 2 months is causing confusion.

The post quoted above was written by Sutton Ross, who wrote another post later in this thread acknowledging Kimball's support of Trump, and recognizing that he's capable of both good and bad things. 

yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#63
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:26am

"if someone has devoted their life to philanthropy but also has a hobby of using humans for target practice, is that person moral?

The obvious answer to your question is no but I think that is different to what has been said by Sutton. Chad Kimball has raised money for several good causes which was mentioned in post. In addition, shows love and support for his wife and is well respected and loved by his peers. He has hurt nobody (using humans for target practice) and his only "crime" seems to be he has very different political opinions than people on this board. Disliking his views are fair game, he has made them public. I just look at the total picture of what has been posted and I have hard time thinking this very talented man is a bad person.

HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#64
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:48am

yankeefan7 said: "I just look at the total picture of what has been posted and I have hard time thinking this very talented man is a bad person."

As I said, assessment of morality is a uniquely individual thing. For those who think Trump is the poster child of immorality, and that supporting him is an act of immorality, Chad would be a bad person. If it is impossible to reach a consensus here on whether Phantom is a good or bad musical, how can we expect to decide unanimously that Chad is a good or bad person?

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#65
Posted: 9/17/20 at 1:29pm

I have become so 'charged' by the idiots I know who love Trump that I have to admit that I have stopped talking with them.  Life is too short and I don't want to deal with them.

Similarly, while I would see shows in which Kimball is a member of the ensemble, a la CFA, I doubt that I will purchase tickets for any future shows in which he is the lead.  I may be wrong, but I believe from the bottom of my soul that most people who  support Trump in a big way are either racists or desperate or (and really think he is going to solve their problems) or stupid.  I doubt that he is desperate or stupid.

I guess this is ALMOST my version of the people who wouldn't go to WSS because of the actor playing Bernardo.  That would not have kept me from seeing WSS, as he was just a member of the ensemble, but I doubt that I would pay to see a show in which he is the lead, either.

I guess a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

BroadwayAndSports
Understudy
Understudy
Chad Kimball#66
Posted: 9/17/20 at 2:19pm
I'm not here to say that Chad Kimball is a bad person. I'm saying that his politics are objectively bad and harmful to the people he claims he supports. He's supporting someone who has targeted Black, Latino, gay, Muslim, Jewish, etc. communities in his administration. You can't claim you love everyone and support a person who says and does awful things to those groups, not to mention repeatedly disregards New Yorkers. Literally just yesterday he said COVID deaths in Democratic-run states and cities shouldn't count. Not exactly an ally to Broadway.
Sutton Ross Profile PhotoSutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#67
Posted: 9/17/20 at 2:30pm

Yeah, that's a lie, he never said that.

It's so funny to me that people are shocked (SHOCKED) that anyone on Broadway would have a different view point than Democratic Liberal. Many performers don't share their views, so I get that he stands out here, but for a poster to suggest he is anything like Amar is ridiculous and absolutely repugnant. You can disagree with someone's political opinions and still enjoy their work.

I know, I know. Shocking!

She/Her
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#68
Posted: 9/17/20 at 2:41pm

Why does anyone care anything about Chad Kimball?  Not objecting to you caring.  But help me understand.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#69
Posted: 9/17/20 at 2:49pm

Thank you. He's a Broadway performer who is conservative. Accept it and move on with your life. 

She/Her
HogansHero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#70
Posted: 9/17/20 at 3:10pm

Personally, I would never boycott a performer because of their personal shortcomings. I might boycott someone whose work I hate, and I might boycott a performance if it were clear that the proceeds of it were a direct conduit to something I did not want to support, but that's about it. The more interesting question to me is if Chad will ever get work on Broadway again. I would think that there are situations where his presence might make some people uncomfortable, or where his presence would seem disingenuous. I do not think he would be cast as Huey today.

Jarethan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#71
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:34pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah, that's a lie, he never said that.

It's so funny to me that people are shocked (SHOCKED) thatanyone on Broadway would have a different view point than Democratic Liberal. Many performers don't share their views, so I get that he stands out here, but for a poster to suggest he is anything like Amar is ridiculous and absolutely repugnant. You can disagree with someone's political opinions and still enjoy their work.

I know, I know. Shocking!
"

But we don't have to if we don't want to.

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#72
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:43pm
Right. People are allowed to pick and choose what types of entertainment they engage with and why. They'll almost always be balanced out by someone who doesn't know or doesn't mind, but that's not always the point. The point is the person who chose not to engage with someone's work just did so because they felt it was the right thing to do, and that's that.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#73
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:46pm

But we don't have to if we don't want to.

Thank you for the most third grade response, ever. He'll be just fine at Come From Away without your support, trust. 

She/Her
Updated On: 9/17/20 at 11:46 PM
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#74
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:50pm
Yea no, you don’t get to actively support a party that seeks to dismantle the rights of so many people who work in the Broadway community. That’s that on that.
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chad Kimball#75
Posted: 9/17/20 at 11:50pm
Yea no, you don’t get to actively support a party that seeks to dismantle the rights of so many people who work in the Broadway community. That’s that on that.