Jay Leno is a homophobe.

Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#26
Posted: 2/16/08 at 5:41pm
Well guys, neither one of you knows me, so I'm here to tell you that I prefer Leno to Letterman, and I don't understand how anyone thinks the latter is funny. re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#27
Posted: 2/16/08 at 5:56pm
Letterman if funny without saying a word.

Jay Leno isn't.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#28
Posted: 2/16/08 at 5:59pm
Each to his own!
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#29
Posted: 2/16/08 at 8:32pm
Not exactly true...Carson was infamously sued by Wayne Newton after he (Carson) continually made homophobic, obnoxious jokes about him (I'm NOT a Newton fan). Carson had a dark side, too, but was mostly smart and witty enough to use his midwestern "persona" to it's best advantage.
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#30
Posted: 2/16/08 at 9:04pm
I understand how some people get annoyed at Letterman, but the man, to me, is a class act, as has been expressed on this board multiple times, most recently about how he was the first of the talk show hosts to pay all his striking writers.

all the other hosts can't hold a candle to him, and they always wait for his lead to decide what to do. It was Letterman, who right after 9/11 was the first one to really get late night going again, tastefully easing the audience back into jokes, and laughing again, even though the night after 9/11, he said something to the effect of "I don't know if we'll ever be able to laugh again". Once he started with the jokes, though, the rest of the hosts followed suit.

he has gotten so much flack over the years, and it is sad that he will never receive his dream job as host of the tonight show, because he angered some studio heads years back. I feel very bad for him to this day, and I'm sure it is still a sore spot for him.

so yes, sometimes his written material isn't the funniest, but even on his worst night, he is still better than Leno, because his delivery is better, and he really knows how to rebound after a bad joke, which is what the audience loves, and that is the true test of a comedian.

last, in interviews is where he really shines, IMO. he has a razor wit and I think he actually is a good interviewer. He sets the pace, puts the guest at ease, unless he doesn't like the guest, then playfully gives them a hard time (paris hilton), but in most cases, the guests deserve it, and Dave is always in on the joke.

I think that behind his crass New York persona, there is a real tender, intelligent, thoughtful, and all around good man, and I see it, and it makes me happy that I can see the subtext in his eyes.

I just have a lot of respect for him, watching him all these years, right now I am living a personal hell, because I have to use rabbit ears on my tv, really, only FOX and NBC comes in. I don't really get CBS at all, so I am STUCK watching Leno at night, and I have never, not once laughed at his monologue.

woe is me.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 2/16/08 at 09:04 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#31
Posted: 2/16/08 at 9:20pm
Letterman is a very, very nice guy and a gentleman. I spoke to him last month at the theater where I work.

I just happen to laugh a lot at Leno-so shoot me!

BTW-the title of this thread is calling Leno a homophobe. Where is the proof of that?
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#32
Posted: 2/16/08 at 10:23pm
I only watch Craig Ferguson now. He always makes me laugh. I've never found Leno or Letterman to be very funny. Sometime's I'd watch Carson too, but not to see his manarexic ass. Only to catch a glimps of Joe Firstman. Yowza!
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#33
Posted: 2/16/08 at 10:33pm
I miss Larry Bud Melman.
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#34
Posted: 2/17/08 at 1:39am
I don't care what Jay Leno is... nobody is worse than Carson Daly who is so unfunny that it is actually painful to watch. Cringe-worthy!
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#35
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:28am
"Letterman is a very, very nice guy and a gentleman. I spoke to him last month at the theater where I work."

Jane: Second row from the front, third seat in. Watch your step.
Letterman: Oh, may I have an extra Playbill for my wife?
Jane: Of course. Enjoy the show.
Letterman:Thank you so much, Ma'am.
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.

PEACE.
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 02:28 AM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#36
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:49am
Sorry hon, wrong! I very rarely usher. re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#37
Posted: 2/17/08 at 3:00am
Oh, sorry.
Was it...
Jane: Another double Stoli rocks, Sir?
Letterman: Why yes, and don't be stingy, baby.
Jane: How are you enjoying Naked Boys Singing?
Letterman: The music is alright, but damn, those boys are FINE!
PEACE.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#38
Posted: 2/17/08 at 3:39am
So...Leno in the '80s? Funny or not?
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#39
Posted: 2/17/08 at 8:11am
I used to watch Johnny Carson all the time, and no one since is even close to being in his league. Also, if someone is a homophobe because they make gay jokes, that would include most people on this board, Kathy Griffin, and the writers of Will & Grace.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#40
Posted: 2/17/08 at 8:15am
As many have said already, Leno is a big bag of suck. The insensitivity towards gay is just one aspect of that.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#41
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:44am
"Oh, sorry.
Was it...
Jane: Another double Stoli rocks, Sir?
Letterman: Why yes, and don't be stingy, baby.
Jane: How are you enjoying Naked Boys Singing?
Letterman: The music is alright, but damn, those boys are FINE!"

Oh yes, and then it went like this...

Jane: And did your four year old son enjoy the Naked Boys?
Letterman: oh, he doesn't go to Naked Boys Singing. I drop him off to Gazillion Bubbles and I sneak into Naked Boys.
Jane: Ah, yes, I see-excellent plan! Two shows-two shows in one!
Letterman: You're mighty cute-and funny! Are you a comedy writer?
Jane: Yes I am and I'm proud OF it!
Letterman: I could use some fresh material on my show, I feel like my routine is getting tired. Do you think Paul is funny?
Jane: No. He's nice, but no.
Letterman: How about the guy in the deli?
Jane: He's nice.
Letterman: Sheesh! Well how about the top ten list?
Jane: It's nice.
Letterman: Do you think anything's funny on the show?
Jane: no, but I think you're nice. Oh, who are those people coming towards us, isn't that the writing team for the Jay Leno show?
Letterman: uh, it's been nice talking to you, I have to go. "Hi folks, let's take this party somewhere else, it's on me!"

SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#42
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:55am
Letterman: By the way, do you know if the boys sign?
PEACE.
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#43
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:07pm
Sue, is his four-year-old son gay?
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#44
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:11pm
"Letterman: By the way, do you know if the boys sign?"

Jane: Yes, they do-for a price!
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#45
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:14pm
His "Ross The Intern" always leaves me with a feeling of a minstrel show. Awful.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#46
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:08pm
I agree.

He put's Ross out there just to make fun of him.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#47
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:09pm
I don't think it helps, though that Ross is along for the ride. He welcomes the attention, no matter if it is good or bad.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#48
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:19pm
I think Ross is just to dumb to get the fact that he's being made fun of.

It's humilating to watch.
cmleidi
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#49
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:37pm
I have only seen one Ross segment on Leno and it was not demeaning or homophobic, but I'm sure it probably goes that way most of the time. His appearance on THE VIEW was definitely uncomfortable, and the way he was treated by the other women was disgusting. It's interesting how effeminate men make some straights and gay men very uncomfortable. If this is who he is, why should he have to adopt a fake persona just to make people feel comfortable? I'm not suggesting that Leno does not use him in an offensive way (since I have not seen most of the segments), but the mere act of his being who he is does not make it homophobic. I really don't get the attitude that the best gay man is the one who acts the most straight.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jay Leno is a homophobe.#50
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:42pm
" I really don't get the attitude that the best gay man is the one who acts the most straight."

No one said that.

All I said was that Jay was using him.

"His appearance on THE VIEW was definitely uncomfortable, and the way he was treated by the other women was disgusting."

How did they treat him? I didn't see it?