Skip to main content Skip to footer site map



Steven Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY - News & Discussion Thread- Page 10

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

I wouldn't be surprised if Rachel is nominated for an Oscar for playing Maria 

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

https://fb.watch/3tAKVhgIQE/ Here is an interview Ana Isabelle (Rosalia) did and she talks a lot about the film. 

degrassifan
Broadway Legend
joined:1/23/08
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/23/08

Globefan said: "https://fb.watch/3tAKVhgIQE/ Here is an interview Ana Isabelle (Rosalia) did and she talks a lot about the film."

Thanks for sharing! All I got from the interview is that Rosalia and Maria have an intimate and touching scene in the picture. Also, since Puerto Rico is part of America, the America musical number has more meaning to the Shark girls who are in favor of staying in the U.S. versus the Shark boys who are open to going back to PR. 

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

degrassifan said: "Globefan said: "https://fb.watch/3tAKVhgIQE/ Here is an interview Ana Isabelle (Rosalia) did and she talks a lot about the film."

Thanks for sharing! All I got from the interview is that Rosalia and Maria have an intimate andtouching scene in the picture. Also, since Puerto Rico is part of America, the America musical number hasmore meaning to the Shark girls who are in favor of staying in the U.S. versus the Shark boys who are open to going back to PR.
"

I'm glad some of the secondary roles are getting more fleshed out 

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

Rachel Zegler is in the new Shazam sequel! 

 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Broadway Legend
joined:4/28/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/28/13

Globefan said: "Rachel Zegler is in the new Shazam sequel!"

I heard about it. It's crazy, her debut film isn't even out yet and still she's getting a lot of buzz and attention. This is correct in my mind.

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

It's pretty much Rachel Zegler's world and we're all just living in it 

degrassifan
Broadway Legend
joined:1/23/08
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/23/08

I’m thinking either her audition was a success, or the Shazam people saw rushes of Rachel in WSS and decided to cast her in the sequel. Sort of similar to how Julie Andrews was cast in The Sound of Music after Robert Wise saw rushes of her in Mary Poppins.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
Broadway Legend
joined:6/16/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 6/16/13
Right, people in the industry (agents, casting, etc) are much more in tune than things in the pipeline than the general public, so WSS not being released yet won’t really affect that
Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

degrassifan said: "I’m thinking either her audition was a success, or the Shazam people saw rushes of Rachel in WSS and decided to cast her in the sequel. Sort of similar to how Julie Andrews was cast in The Sound of Music after Robert Wise saw rushes of her in Mary Poppins."

Coincidental that you mention Robert Wise, given that we worked on the original WSS. 

MannLove
Swing
joined:2/14/21
Swing | Joined: 2/14/21

Brownface??????? How racist can you get?

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7346UCc20vcfrfZEMBMWLZ?si=zvX77_WUS8e26vxzkMdmOA&nd=1 Rachel Zegler was on Drew Gasparini's podcast and dished a bit about the film 

BwayLB
Broadway Legend
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/18/17
^ I couldn’t access it on my Phone. But do share please what she had to say
Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

She said that the way the film does I Feel Pretty fixes Sondheim's problem with it. She says that Bradley Cooper and the Obamas all visited the set. She went to as many of the recording sessions and orchestra recordings as she could. She watched Spielberg directing Rita Moreno's scenes. And she said that she hit her head and broke her Maria headband right before they filmed Dance at the Gym. She also said she auditioned for the Ivo van Hove revival. They filmed the balcony scene very late in production. 

BwayLB
Broadway Legend
joined:10/18/17
Broadway Legend | Joined: 10/18/17
Globefan said: "She said that the way the film does I Feel Pretty fixes Sondheim's problem with it. She says that Bradley Cooper and the Obamas all visited the set. She went to as many of the recording sessions and orchestra recordings as she could. She watched Spielberg directing Rita Moreno's scenes. And she said that she hit her head and broke her Maria headband right before they filmed Dance at the Gym. She also said she auditioned for the Ivo van Hove revival. They filmed the balcony scene very late in production."



Thank you!

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

I hope Rachel gets to meet Carol Lawrence while she's still alive. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
Broadway Legend
joined:7/10/19
Broadway Legend | Joined: 7/10/19

Globefan said: "She said that the way the film does I Feel Pretty fixes Sondheim's problem with it.."

Fixes it for whom? Most people have always enjoyed it (myself included). Is she saying Sondheim himself considers the "problems" with it fixed?

 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
joined:2/27/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/27/06

Just posting this for info sake. Not correcting anyone.

From December 2019:

A PRETTY ISSUE BY PETER FILICHIA

“Aren’t you going to say anything about the decision to drop ‘I Feel Pretty’ from the upcoming Broadway revival of WEST SIDE STORY?!”

Since the announcement on Nov. 15 that director Ivo van Hove and/or lyricist Stephen Sondheim decided to drop one of the most famous songs from the landmark score, not a day goes by when one of my readers or listeners doesn’t ask me that question. 

Many musical theater enthusiasts have been terribly upset and have expected me to be equally as outraged.

(I’ll wait and see the show and then report on it.)

Whatever the case, perhaps we shouldn’t be so surprised. Sondheim has had issues with “I Feel Pretty” since that August day in 1957 when the show had its first run-through in New York. As he recalled in Craig Zadan’s SONDHEIM & CO in 1974, “Some of my friends were out front. I asked Sheldon Harnick after the show what he thought, knowing full well he was going to fall to his knees and lick the sidewalk. 

“But he said, ‘That lyric, “I Feel Pretty.”’

“And I thought that the lyric to that was just terrific … I had spent the previous year of my life rhyming ‘day’ and ‘way’ and ‘me’ and ‘be’ and with ‘I Feel Pretty’ I wanted to show that I could do inner rhymes, too. So I had this uneducated Puerto Rican girl singing ‘It’s alarming how charming I feel.’ You KNOW she would have not been unwelcome in Noel Coward’s living room. Sheldon was very gentle but I immediately went back and wrote a simplified version of the lyric which nobody connected with the show would accept.”

(That must mean librettist Arthur Laurents, composer Leonard Bernstein, and director-choreographer-auteur Jerome Robbins.)

“So there it is to this day,” Sondheim continued, “embarrassing me every time it’s sung.”

Okay, while we’re at it, would teens or young women in their early twenties say that Maria would be in “an advanced state of shock?”

jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
joined:5/28/05
Broadway Legend | Joined: 5/28/05

joevitus said: "Globefan said: "She said that the way the film does I Feel Pretty fixes Sondheim's problem with it.."

Fixes it for whom? Most people have always enjoyed it (myself included). Is she saying Sondheim himself considers the "problems" with it fixed?


"

Who are "most people?" While West Side Story has inarguably become a classic, it does, arguably, exhibit Sondheim's most pedestrian of lyrics; many of which even Sondheim has complained of. Many here, while appreciating the show, also agree that many of the lyrics are lacking. The last two revivals handled "I Feel Pretty" in two very different ways. One opted to rewrite the lyrics in Spanish, the other chose to cut it altogether. This seems to suggest that even directors and producers see a certain level of banality in the song.

I know that you tend to be a bit conservative in terms of the classics, but it is worth taking into consideration that many classics are still flawed in some way. You can still cherish those classics and hold them in high esteem, even if others (including the creator) don't hold every part of them in the same esteem that you do.

 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Broadway Legend
joined:4/28/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/28/13

Now here's a good question: when the movie musicals that come out during December are ready for test screenings, what time of the month would the studio do that where they're comfortable with the print to show to preview audiences? Now it would be a little hard to do that because of COVID and everything.

Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

Musical Master said: "Now here's a good question: when the movie musicals that come out during December are ready for test screenings, what time of the month would the studio do that where they're comfortable with the print to show to preview audiences?Now it would be a little hard to do thatbecause of COVID and everything."

Spielberg doesn't strike me as someone who'd do test screenings. He has final cut anyway. 

 Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Broadway Legend
joined:4/28/13
Broadway Legend | Joined: 4/28/13

Good point. But it would be nice if this could be an exception; so we can hear something about this movie.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
joined:2/27/06
Broadway Legend | Joined: 2/27/06

Globefan said: "Musical Master said: "Now here's a good question: when the movie musicals that come out during December are ready for test screenings, what time of the month would the studio do that where they're comfortable with the print to show to preview audiences?Now it would be a little hard to do thatbecause of COVID and everything."

Spielberg doesn't strike me as someone who'd do test screenings. He has final cut anyway.
"

Steven Spielberg always does test screenings on all his films (starting from SUGARLAND EXPRESS, JAWS, etc.).  He will reshoot or re-edit material if needed.  His final cut is based off these test screenings.  His ego isn't that arrogant to believe whatever he decides on is the end all of anything.  He loves input from his peers as well, etc.  

degrassifan
Broadway Legend
joined:1/23/08
Broadway Legend | Joined: 1/23/08
Here's a panel on the casting and LatinX representation on the film. Not much info or spoilers given about the film itself, but still interesting to watch/listen. Tried to make the link clickable, but it's not letting me. Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGs3B6FCaj4
Globefan
Leading Actor
joined:10/31/12
Leading Actor | Joined: 10/31/12

degrassifan said: "Here's a panel on the casting and LatinX representation on the film. Not much info or spoilers given about the film itself, but still interesting to watch/listen. Tried to make the link clickable, but it's not letting me. Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGs3B6FCaj4
"

Thank you for sharing it!