WAKE UP with BWW 1/28/2015 - WICKED Tour Gets New Faces, Porter Sings the Songbook and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: WICKED welcomes a new 'Elphaba' on tour, THE HARD PROBLEM opens in London, Billy Porter performs at Lincoln Center and more!
Next up in our series of stars introducing BWW's morning feature is Tony nominee Kate Baldwin (portrait by Walter McBride), star of Keen Company's upcoming JOHN & JEN revival, who has appeared on Broadway in BIG FISH, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, WONDERFUL TOWN and more!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- WICKED welcomes a new 'Elphaba' and 'Nessarose' tonight on tour in South Carolina!
- Tom Stoppard's THE HARD PROBLEM officially opens at the National tonight.
- Billy Porter performs tonight as part of Lincoln Center's American Songbook series!
- And Kerrigan & Lowdermilk launch an immersive workshop of THE BAD YEARS in Brooklyn...
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- Gattelli & Flaherty's IN YOUR ARMS will make its World Premiere at The Old Globe this fall!
- Wallace Shawn's EVENING AT THE TALK HOUSE could come to Broadway after its London run...
- UK star Danielle Hope is set to make her American debut at 54 Below next month.
- Over in the West End, Beverley Knight is sticking with MEMPHIS a little longer, CHOCOLATE FACTORY has extended thru June 2016, the Critics' Circle Theatre Awards announced this year's winners, and we got a first look (right) at Emma Hatton in WICKED!
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga will perform at this year's GRAMMYs ceremony!
- FROZEN's Bobby & Kristen Lopez are writing an OSCARS musical number for Neil Patrick Harris.
- IF/THEN, BULLETS OVER BROADWAY and more are kicking off tours this year!
- And Broadway manager and BC/EFA activist Peter Neufeld has died at 78.
Broadway Weather Forecast: Sunny with a high of 33 degrees! Back to normal in the big city...
Quote of the Day: A word from birthday boy Alan Alda...
And a Happy Birthday shout-out to Alan Alda, who turns 79 today!
A three-time Tony nominee, Alda appeared on Broadway last year in Love Letters. Before that, he graced the stage in Glengarry Glen Ross (which earned him a Drama Desk in 2005), The Play What I Wrote, QED, Art, Jake's Women, The Apple Tree, The Owl and the Pussycat, Cafe Crown, Fair Game for Lovers, Purlie Victorious and Only in America. The Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning actor is best known for his role as 'Hawkeye Pierce' in the TV series M*A*S*H and 'Arnold Vinick' in The West Wing; he also recently appeared on The Blacklist. Alda was nominated for an Oscar for his role in The Aviator in 2004.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!