Transfers from Broadway?

andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 06:56am
What would you like to see come over here? In my opinion the west end is long overdue a change and a raft of new shows coming in, for me it's got quite stale and samey. Theres a lot of potential for some of the biggest broadway shows to come over here over the next year or couple of years so what would you like to see?

May vote is Newsies straight way, would love that here and think it's something the we is missing at the moment. Next up i'd like Kinky Boots, which is coming anyway and then Pippin.

What are your hopes?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 09:06am
We have our fair share of Broadway shows coming over, we have just had Once, Scottsboro Boys and The Book of Mormon.

It is no secret that Kinky Boots, Newsies, Motown and Pippin want to come over, but the real issue is finding the correct size theatre.

Soon we will have In The Heights come over to a Southwark Playhouse, we have Superman, Finans Rainbow, Superior Donuts and Good Peaope at several fringe venues, the shows are there, but sometimes you have to go and find them.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 02:47pm
Pippin I could see going into one of the bigger playhouses like the Noel Coward or Lyric. Kinky Boots I imagine will go to somewhere like the Palace and Newsies needs a midsized theatre as well.

Looking at the new shows on Broadway, I would like to see Beautiful transfer but I wonder if Carole King has the same appeal here as in America, Aladdin if it is a hit I could see transferring in 2-3 years,
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 03:14pm
Pippin is by far, the best of the current crop. Very uplifting experience. Plus another I really enjoyed,A Gentlemens s Guide to Love & Murder. I think it would work very well in the West End.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 03:25pm
I could definitely see A Gentlemen's Guide To Love and Murder transfer and working, I have seen this and really enjoyed, cheap to put as no real set to speak of, but the set there is ingenious, a cast of 12 so weekly operating cost would be attractive, good show that would fit in one of the traditional playhouses.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
FireFingers
Stand-by
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:31pm
I think Gentleman's guide would do very well here too. Put it in a nice small theatre like the vaudeville.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 03:52am
I fully expect should the theatres become free in the next year Newsies and Kinky at the Palace or Savoy
andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 05:48am
Maybe the palace will be available but i'm not sure about the savoy, we'll have to see how DRS will do although i can't see a hugely long run.

What about the aldwych for newsies?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 06:12am
Think DRS will have a good run, probably 18 months. Kinky Boots I think will likely go to the Palace.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 10:54am
Any ideas as to when Kinky Boots is looking to go to London?
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:17am
I don't see "Pippin" coming to the West End anytime soon. When the show was done at the Menier (a vastly different, but equally successful production of the classic show, the critics spent most of their reviews commenting on how awful the show is, not the production. The reviews actually had a mildly anti-American flavor to them if I recall.
andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 02:24pm
Jerry Mitchell just said next year. I suspect with him being here for DRS that we'll hear more over the next few weeks.

I'd like to see that over and newsies. I hope for Pippin as well even of it might be unlikely as the above poster points out.
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 07:09pm
I really want to see Here Lies Love in the new Dorfman at the NT as was rumoured.

Also we have The Great Come coming over to the Menier.

I can't get over to NYC until Autumn so selfishly really want transfers of two new plays: All the Way - Mothers & Sons.

Would adore having this revival of Pippin on tap. Its spectacularly good fun - alas I can't see if selling can you? Although not for this idea that its too "American" what even is that?
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:36pm
Saw Kinky Boots this afternoon, it's such a great feel good show and I think it will work extremely well in London.

Also saw If/Then this evening. What a show! And Idina is giving the performance of a lifetime, such a great role and a brilliantly written musical. Doubt we will ever get it in London though.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:55am
If y'all hear anything about Killian Donnelly being attached to Kinky Boots for when it transfers, let me know... because I'm pretty sure that's a thing that's happening.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 02:37pm
Killian was in NY this week and he did go and see Kinky Boots, I believe he was with another female member of The Commitments cast.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 02:52pm
Yes, Stephanie McKeon.
andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 04:26pm
Killian Donnelly as Charlie Price? Wouldn't be amazingly excited by that but it wouldn't be bad either.

Updated On: 3/13/14 at 04:26 PM
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 04:32pm
I haven't seen Kinky Boots myself, but Killian's one of my favorites, so I'd be pretty excited over it personally.
andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 04:34pm
He doesn't strike me as ideal.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 05:18pm
Why's that, out of curiosity?
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 06:50pm
He has the charisma for the role of Charlie no doubt about it. He also with longer hair no beard, would fit the role fine. The guy who replaced Stark Sands doesn't particularly look like an ideal charlie either.

I know he meets him in an Irish bar, but is Charlie's friend Harry in the show not supposed to be Irish.
andydh
Chorus Member
Transfers from Broadway?
Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:34pm
Some news on Kinky and Newsies from Baz in the mail.

The kinky boots creatives will look around some theatres within the next couple of weeks and look to secure a home for next year whilst newsies is also ready to move forward but can't find a theatre.

Given that the kinky boots team are going to be looking around theatres trying to get a home, i'm not sure if that means there are theatres available and they just don't want newsies or the opposite and that kinky will eventually run into the same issue as newsies.

Message Board

Stellar West End 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS