Broadway tickets for an ex-West End dummy

DeNada
Broadway Star
I've finally booked to go to New York for a week after years of wanting to do so. Once upon a time I could have sorted out tickets through house seats contacts but I'm no longer "in the biz" and so I have to do tickets like normal people do (this is meant to be silly, not snooty :p)

What's the best way to sort out cheaper tickets before I get there? I can try and queue up and do rushes and lotteries etc. and obviously there's TKTS, but what's the best bet from over here? Going out the first week in April and haven't quite narrowed down what I want to see beyond my two "musts" (BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and IF/THEN), but part of it will come down to tickets - I'll probably pay full price for those two shows, and might not have an option with IF/THEN given that it opens that week, but I have other things I want to do and see in New York and may have to pinch a few pennies on shows as well.

Anyone got any particularly good suggestions? I could obviously ask on the Broadway board but I thought I'd ask here first.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
My go-to for discounted tickets to Broadway shows is http://www.broadwaybox.com/ ... but as someone who lives in North America already, I'm not 100% certain this will work for you? I imagine it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not positive.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
If you qualify, TDF is supposed to have good deals. Playbill.com has some good discounts and better seats than you would get at TKTS - and sometimes better discounts.
Many shows have rushes and lotteries - if you're willing to take a chance. Bridges of Madison County should still be there in early April, but if you look at the grosses - there a lot of empty seats. It sold 80% of the seats last week, but only for 47% of the gross potential - so lots of discounting going on (and an average ticket price of about 40 pounds).
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
When I went to New York in November I DIDN'T buy any tickets before I got there, all you end up doing is giving ticket agents a lot of money for doing nothing. So I arrived ticketless my first port of call was the Ethel Barrymore theatre, for Betrayal where I got offered a ticket for that nights performance for $400, which I knocked back, then got offered a seat for next Saturday evening for $150, which I took, I then went to the Al Hirschfeld and bought a ticket for the Wednesday matinee for $150 both shows were considered the hottest ticket on Broadway, which I managed to bag at a non premium prices, why? because I didn't buy any tickets before I went out and could offer the box office a vast range of dates I could attend, thus maximising my oppurtunity for a ticket.

All other tickets I either bought on TKT's later on in the day when the queues have died down and odds of getting a great ticket are excellent, as this is when box offices send their unsold premium tickets over.

I even managed to bag a bit of discount on a ticket to Twelve Night, which was becoming a very hot ticket then. I also buddied (you are allowed two tickets) up with some stranger on the lottery for Matilda and my lottery buddy won, so snagging a ticket for about $25.

I done heaps of research before I went out and while I was there, by looking at the weekly Broadway grosses and entertainment link which told me, what is trending on TKT's, I would buy the most popular shows first, if possible, as the less popular shows are likely to re-appear on TKT's.

By being tactical with your ticket buying, you can save hundreds in tickets alone. If you have to buy a full/discount price ticket before you go,try to get your ticket for Friday/Saturday night, these times shows are the most attended out if the 8 performances that week.

BTW: The Bridges of Madison County has been a regular at TKT's for 50% off, the show is being poorly attended and may close very soon.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
philitalia
Broadway Legend
I've got nothing against Phantom's MO, but I agree with Thespian Geek about BroadwayBox.

As it's your first visit it would be a shame to lose out on discovering New York because you're queueing at TKTS all the time.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I've HOPEFULLY booked for BRIDGES through Broadwaybox - good stalls seat for 57 isn't much of a discount for West End prices but given that it's half price compared to normal I won't complain! I'm mildly concerned I haven't had the PDF ticket yet having booked yesterday but I'm sure it'll turn up.

POL, I want to book in advance as I'm not the most impulsive of people - I want to know what I'm going to do before I get there so I can plan the rest of my trip beforehand. I worry that I won't be able to get tickets for things if I leave it too late - and I also want to do typically touristy things and see other places other than Times Square, as much as I am looking forward to theatre.

A shame I'm not going a week or so later - I'd have liked to have seen HERE LIES LOVE which doesn't reopen until the 12th I think - but I'm sure I'll find plenty to see and do :) Still trying to make a shortlist of things to see at present!

Message Board

wicked plot help 7 Posts

BWW BLOGS