A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, THE SEAGULL & More Set for Black Swan State Theatre's 2013-14 Season
BLACK SWAN State Theatre Company launched its 2014 season in the State Theatre Centre's Heath Ledger Theatre on Monday evening. The mainstage season of six plays contains a mix of classics and new work, and BLACK SWAN will be returning to the Studio Underground with two plays in 2014 as part of the BLACK SWAN Lab program.
Highlights of BLACK SWAN's 2014 season include:
· Six plays presented in the Heath Ledger Theatre, two in the Studio Underground.
· Directed by Kate Cherry, Sigrid Thornton will star as Blanche DuBois in Tennessee William's A Streetcar Named Desire.
· Ben Elton is revisiting his play Gasping, first performed in 1990, and is re-imagining it for a new era and new country. The play will now be called Gasp! and will be directed by Wesley Enoch in a co-production with Queensland Theatre Company.
· Dust by Suzie Miller, a Rio Tinto BLACK SWAN Commission about a very dusty day in Perth, will have its world premiere in June 2014.
· Roger Hodgman will direct a large WA cast in Shakespeare's topsy-turvy comedy As You Like It.
· In the Studio Underground, a new initiative called BLACK SWAN Lab will provide dynamic opportunities for ambitious artistic collaborations. In its inaugural year, the BLACK SWAN Lab presents two world premieres, Flood by Perth writer Chris Isaacs and The House on The Lake by Aidan Fennessy.
Subscribers can choose between 5 or 6 Play Opening Night and 3, 4, 5 and 6 play subscription packages. BLACK SWAN now also offers an affordable 3 play mix & match preview/matinee package, enabling subscribers to see three previews and/or matinees of their choice for only $148.50. BLACK SWAN is also offering a 3 play student subscription package for just $84.
Image by Robert Frith