Lake Worth Playhouse to Present HAIRSPRAY, 7/5
The Lake Worth Playhouse is thrilled to preview our 60th season with the sensational HAIRSPRAY, a musical that soars with fabulous music and choreography sure to leave you swinging like the 60's!
This Tony-Award Winning, critically acclaimed Broadway musical is loads of fun with its 1960's-style dance music, rhythm and blues, eccentric characters, and most importantly, style.
Hairspray sweeps you away to 1960's Baltimore where the 50's are out and change is in the air! Loveable plus-size heroine, Tracy, has a passion for dancing, and wins a spot on the local TV dance program. Overnight she finds herself transformed from an outsider to teen celebrity. Can a larger-than-life adolescent somehow manage to vanquish the program's reigning princess, integrate the television show, and find true love all without mussing her hair?
With more than 30 actors in this production, Hairspray features many South Florida theatre and Lake Worth Playhouse favorites including: Ashley Rodriguez (Mimi, Rent) as Amber, John Costanzo (Muscnik, Little Shop of Horrors) as Edna, Nikki Bradley (Mama Morton, Chicago) as Motormouth, and Dominic Servidio (Dentist, Little Shop of Horrors & Rooster, Annie) as Link among many other frequent Playhouse faces.
Also featured is Fednike Nazistene (Dynamite). Fednike began acting as a child in The Playhouse's Outreach Program for underserved youth in the Lake Worth community. Through this outreach initiative, Fednike developed a love for theatre and the arts and is now returning to our stage as a seasoned and talented performer.
Tony Award- Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Original Score
The original production of Hairspray opened at the Neil Simon Theatre on August 15, 2002. The production was originally directed by Jack O'Brian, with choreography by Jerry Mitchell. The production went on to win eigth Tony Awards, of its twelve nominations, including, Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, and many more. It also won several Drama Desk Awards, including Best Musical and Outstanding Music among many others. The production ran on Broadway for 2,642 shows, or the equivalent of 6 years. It opened on London's West End at the Shaftesbury Theatre on October 11, 2007, where it later won eleven Oliver Awards.
The original leads of Tracy and Edna, were played by Marissa Jaret Winokur and Harvey Fierstein respectively; both went on to win Tony Awards for their performances. Also, Matthew Morrison, the popular Glee star, originated the role of Link Larkin in the original production.
Preview Night is Thursday, July 5 at 8:00 p.m. ($23 & $27)
Opening Night is Friday, July 6 at 8:00 p.m. ($28 & $32 – includes Opening Night Gala)
Evening and Matinee Performances will run July 5– 29 at 8pm and 2pm. ($26 & $30) Dinner & Show Night is July 5 and includes a 6:00 p.m. pre-show dinner at Paradiso, an upscale Italian
restaurant in downtown Lake Worth, prior to the 8:00 p.m. performance. The all-inclusive dinner/show package price is $55 and includes a three-course meal and premium seats for the preview performance.
- ARE WE THERE YET? and Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY KIDS Set for PCA's 2014 Summer Youth Theatre Program
- Magic Theatre to Welcome Back Christina Anderson with PEN/MAN/SHIP World Premiere, 5/21-6/15
- Bloomington Civic Theatre to Present GYPSY, Starring Dora Dolphin as Baby June, 4/25-5/25
- Marin Shakespeare Company Announces Pay-As-You-Like-It Admission for all Performances of AS YOU LIKE IT, 7/5-8/10
- Stolen Chair's POTION: A PLAY IN THREE COCKTAILS Extends thru 6/15 at PEOPLE Lounge
- Mother's Day Burlesque Brunch to Feature Stars of the Golden Age at The Highline Ballroom, 5/11
- Philadelphia FIGHT Announces 20th Annual AIDS Education Month Events, June 2014
- Photo Flash: Meet the Cast of SEMINAR at the Kitchen Theatre
- Finborough Theatre to Stage First UK Production in 100 Years of St. John Ervine's JOHN FERGUSON, May 20-June 14
- Alexandra Silber to Interview John Doyle at Pace University, 4/27