URINETOWN, 2013 New Play Festival, GREASE and More Set for Coralville Center, Feb 2013
The Coralville Center for the Performing Arts stage will feature a wide variety of events in February 2013, giving members of the community many opportunities to participate in performances and enjoy cultural offerings.
The schedule includes:
· City Circle Acting Company of Coralville's production of the Tony-Award winning musical Urinetown, playing February 1-10 with performances Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm and Sundays at 2pm. Urinetown is a hilarious tale of greed, corruption, love, and revolution in a Gotham -like city where a terrible water shortage has led to a government-enforced ban on private toilets. Citizens must use public amenities regulated by a single malevolent company that profits by charging for one of humanity's most basic needs. Amid the people, a hero decides he's had enough and plans a revolution to lead them all to freedom! Directed by Jesse Jensen. Tickets are $12 - $27.
· Between weekends of Urinetown, City Circle also presents the 2013 New Play Festival, featuring 9 short plays centering on family bonds and making connections in our contemporary lives. Playwrights featured are Terry Riley, Rand Higbee, Barbara Lau, Matt Crowley, Matthew Falduto, Brian Tanner, Anthony G. Craine, Greg Freier, and Kent Forsberg. All nine have strong Iowa ties, and Lau, Falduto, Tanner, Craine, Freier, and Forsberg all currently live in Iowa. Performances are Monday, February 4 and Tuesday, February 5 at 7:30pm; tickets are $10.
· Wickham's Got Talent features talented Wickham Elementary students in a PTO fundraiser. Wednesday, February 13 at 6pm.
· On Thursday, February 14 at 6:30pm, Van Allen Elementary students will present a general music program featuring 5th and 6th grade students. The Wickham and Van Allen events are part of the CCPA's program offering free use of the theater to Coralville schools.
· On Sunday, February 17, the CCPA "Movie and Music" series continues with a showing of the 1959 film Some Like It Hot, featuring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon. Prior to the movie, the Iowa City/Johnson County Senior Center's Silver Swing Band will perform a set. Concert at 2pm; movie at 3pm. Tickets are $6.
· West Music presents Doctors in Concert, a benefit performance for the UI Children's Hospital. Local physicians and medical professionals will showcase their musical talents with solos and ensembles featuring pianists, vocalists, and various instrumentalists. Kirk and Mary Ferentz will be the guest announcers. Tickets are $25; $15 for students with ID.
· Regina High School presents Grease February 28-March 3. Join Rydell High's senior class of 1959 in this rollicking musical. Performances are Thursday-Saturday at 7pm and Sunday at 2pm. Tickets are $10 - $22.
Further information on these events and details on other upcoming events are available at CoralvilleArts.org. Tickets for most CCPA events are available by phone at 319.248.9370, online at CoralvilleArts.org, and in person at the CCPA box office at 1301 5th Street and Coralville Recreation Center at 1506 8th Street.
Owned and operated by the City of Coralville, the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts is dedicated to enriching the community and contributing to the vitality of Coralville by offering an accessible, affordable venue for a variety of performances, presentations, and public and private events. The 472 seat theater opened August 26, 2011 and has hosted performances from City Circle Acting Company, Orchestra Iowa, Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre, Dan Knight, Lola Astanova, Jim McDonough, MetroMix Chorus, Nolte Academy of Dance, and many others. Coralville schools are also able to use the Center free of charge up to three times per year; 13 school events took place at the Center in 2012. The Center was named 2012 Member of the Year by the Iowa City/Coralville Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.