Spark Theatre Presents MARIE ANTOINETTE: THE COLOR OF FLESH
Spark Theater presents the regional premiere of MARIE ANTOINETTE: THE COLOR OF FLESH playing now through November 10th by acclaimed playwright Joel Gross. This tense and seductive three-person drama is sure to be a talked about theatrical event of the fall season. The play tells the story of the imagined love triangle between Marie Antoinette, her real-life portrait painter Madame Elisabeth le Brun, and a politically radical playboy, Count Alexis de Ligne. While 18th Century France might be the setting for the play, Spark Theater’s creative director, Michael Emmitt says it was the script’s themes of exploitation and corruption that seemed refreshingly modern.”We chose to program it during the election because the themes-old regime versus new ideals, sexual politics and a nation demanding change-are timely and really speak to where we are as a country,” he says. “Joel Gross brilliantly puts a human face to the political struggle between the old monarchy and the revolution without taking sides. I immediately fell in love with the script and I knew it would fit in perfectly with the kind of intimate and provocative shows we like to program. I knew we had to be the company to bring this show to Denver for the first time.” The New York Times said Gross’ script, explores “issues of class, many of them sounding quite contemporary, while creating a touching story of love and mutual support.” Emmitt agrees, “The relationships between the three characters are what really sells the Gross’ ideas. This love triangle is really sexy, engaging and ultimately really human and relatable.” Marie Antoinette: The Color of Flesh stars Missy Moore, Kelly Reeves and David Cates and is directed by Luke Terry.
- BWW Reviews: Theatre Espirit Asia Presents a Haunting Homage to Motherhood with 99 HISTORIES at Vintage Theatre
- BWW Interviews: Patricia Ward Kelly on Her Husband and Love, Gene Kelly and What His Legacy Means to Her
- BWW Interviews: Denver Actress and Filmmaker Katharyn Grant and her new film, THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU, currently featured at the STARZ Denver Film Festival!
- BWW Reviews: The Denver Center Company Presents a Hilarious Insight into Art Appreciation with THE MOST DESERVING
- BWW Reviews: Boulder's Dinner Theatre Presents Heartwarming, Yet Cheeky Performances in THE FULL MONTY
- BWW Reviews: The Aurora Fox Theatre Presents a Spooky Delight with THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW
- BWW Interviews: Denver Center's Judith Hawking on Her Talented Career and Who in Her Mind is THE MOST DESERVING
- BWW Reviews: The Denver Center Theatre Company Presents an Intriguing Insight Into Colorado History with JUST LIKE US
- BWW Reviews: Ignite Theatre Presents a New Remount of AVENUE Q - Even Better the Second Time Around the Block
- BWW Reviews: Curious Theatre's Fascinating Interpersonal Study in AFTER THE REVOLUTION