BWW Reviews: LA CAGE AUX FOLLES National Tour - A Gay Ol' Time at the Denver Center!
The critically acclaimed production of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES starring George Hamilton and Christopher Sieber, plays in Denver at the Buell Theatre now through September 16th. LA CAGE AUX FOLLES recently made Tony Awards history as the first show to ever win the Tony Award three times for best production. The classic musical comedy by Jerry Herman and Harvey Fierstein originally won six Tony Awards in 1984, including Best Musical. A Broadway revival won two 2005 Tony Awards including the Best Revival of a Musical prize. The new, freshly reconceived LA CAGE won three 2010 Tony Awards including Best Revival of a Musical and Best Director of a Musical (Terry Johnson). LA CAGE AUX FOLLES features music and lyrics by Jerry Herman and book by Harvey Fierstein, based on the play by Jean Poiret.
LA CAGE AUX FOLLES tells the story of Georges (George Hamilton) the owner of a glitzy nightclub in lovely Saint-Tropez, and his partner Albin (Christopher Sieber), who moonlights as the glamorous chanteuse Zaza. When Georges' son brings his fiancée's conservative parents home to meet the flashy pair, the bonds of family are put to the test as the feather boas fly! LA CAGE AUX FOLLES is a tuneful and touching tale of one family's struggle to stay together... stay fabulous... and above all else, stay true to themselves!
While it contained all the glitz and glam that has won this show three Tony's for Best Musical/Revival, I could see that this show was on its last leg of the tour. It just seemed to me to be a bit tired around The Edges and the while the talented cast did their best and made all of their exuberant high kicks, the shows energy seemed a bit lacking. A perfect example is the plates scene, (which is always a favorite of mine) that was seemed to be going at half speed from other productions I have seen and thus lagged on. Even with this said, based on how interactive and excited our audience was, maybe it was not as noticeable as I perceived it to be.
First I must give total snaps to the fabulous dancers that kept the show kicking and twirling all the way with sass and ass! I have to say that this was Chris Sieber's time to shine as Albin and he carried the entire show. He had fabulous facial expressions and his performance really tugged at your heart strings. His gorgeous tenor voice soared in the Buell Theatre. He showed his playful side in “La Cage Aux Folles” and he completely owned “I Am What I Am“! George Hamilton was good and did the best he could, but didn't have the energy to keep up with his younger cast mates and this pulled the energy down a bit. Even with this his limitations, it was still thrilling to see a legend in the flesh and his rendition of “Song on the Sand” was just charming! I must say that “With You on my Arm” duet between the two stars was so endearing and “The Best of Times is Now” was absolutely adorable. I also have to commend the opening bitchy drag queen that was hilarious and really worked up the crowd before the show!
Christopher Sieber best describes this show as "Love...Family....Being True and Who You Are!" and I couldn't agree more. This is truly an American classic and worth seeing. So glitter and be gay with LA CAGE AUX FOLLES at the Denver Center's Buell Theater now until September 16th. For tickets or more information contact the Denver Center box office at 303-893-4100 or online at www.denvercenter.org.
- BWW Reviews: Theatre Espirit Asia Presents a Haunting Homage to Motherhood with 99 HISTORIES at Vintage Theatre
- BWW Interviews: Patricia Ward Kelly on Her Husband and Love, Gene Kelly and What His Legacy Means to Her
- BWW Interviews: Denver Actress and Filmmaker Katharyn Grant and her new film, THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU, currently featured at the STARZ Denver Film Festival!
- BWW Reviews: The Denver Center Company Presents a Hilarious Insight into Art Appreciation with THE MOST DESERVING
- BWW Reviews: Boulder's Dinner Theatre Presents Heartwarming, Yet Cheeky Performances in THE FULL MONTY
- BWW Reviews: The Aurora Fox Theatre Presents a Spooky Delight with THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW
- BWW Interviews: Denver Center's Judith Hawking on Her Talented Career and Who in Her Mind is THE MOST DESERVING
- BWW Reviews: The Denver Center Theatre Company Presents an Intriguing Insight Into Colorado History with JUST LIKE US
- BWW Reviews: Ignite Theatre Presents a New Remount of AVENUE Q - Even Better the Second Time Around the Block
- BWW Reviews: Curious Theatre's Fascinating Interpersonal Study in AFTER THE REVOLUTION