Music to Travelers' Ears: Fairmont and Universal Launch Global Music Platform
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts today announced that it will continue to deliver branded music programming and authentic entertainment experiences to guests through a new partnership with Universal Music Group. This global, multi-faceted brand partnership includes a series of initiatives and exclusive events designed to appeal to music lovers globally.
"At Fairmont, it's our goal to connect guests with the very best of the destination and deliver authentic experiences that are meaningful to them," said Fairmont's President, Jennifer Fox. "Music is highly emotive and something that many Fairmont guests are passionate about. Through our partnership with Universal, we can provide our guests with exclusive access to music events and programs that they might not otherwise have had an opportunity to experience."
"We're always looking for new ideas to create and deliver interesting ways for people to enjoy our artists' music and we look forward to working with Fairmont to continue to develop innovative music-inspired experiences," said Olivier Robert-Murphy, Head of New Business, Universal Music Group Global.
To launch the new partnership, the leading brands are holding an exclusive event at London's legendary Abbey Road Studios, owned by Universal, on September 19, 2013, featuring a live performance by recording artist Jessie Ware, a British soul chanteuse and two-time BRIT Award nominee. The celebrated engagement will also mark the official debut of Abbey Road Studios' newly designed studio lounges, which have been given a complete makeover inspired by Fairmont's iconic hotel collection.
"Fairmont is a worldwide brand in hospitably excellence and we're delighted to once again enhance our vibrant partnership to include the celebrated Jessie Ware from Abbey Road Studios," said Randy Lennox, President and CEO, Universal Music Canada. "Jessie is an internationally acclaimed artist and the Abbey Road setting could not be more perfect to showcase her immense talents."
Highlights of the partnership between Fairmont and Universal include:
- Sounds of Fairmont Music Events; a global music series featuring top and up and coming Universal artists performing live at select Fairmont properties around the world. Previous Sounds of Fairmont performances have featured Corinne Bailey Rae, Emeli Sandé, Matt Nathanson, KT Tunstall and Diane Schuur in destinations as diverse as Shanghai, Beijing, Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver and Quebec City.
- Debuting in October 2013, the Sounds of Fairmont CD compilation offers an evocative selection of songs from some of Universal's most talented artists. The collection provides the perfect soundtrack for an unforgettable stay, encouraging guests to get "in the moment", or can be enjoyed at home to rekindle memories. The CD will be available at select Fairmont hotels and at fairmontstore.com.
- Abbey Road Studios Record-a-Song Experience with The Savoy offers once-in-a-lifetime access to London's legendary recording studio, which is not open to the general public. Exclusively offered to Fairmont President's Club members, a program that is free to join, guests get a behind-the-scenes look at the studios where The Beatles, Pink Floyd and U2 created music history, and have the opportunity to record a group song from the Abbey Road Studios' catalogue. Their music session is professionally mixed and recorded and the group is treated to a playback of their recording in the studio, as well as a take home copy. The rock star treatment continues with a two-night stay at The Savoy, one of the world's iconic hotels, complete with a welcome reception and a Sunday jazz lunch.
- Fairmont and Abbey Road Studios have partnered to bring a refreshed look and sophisticated feel to the famed studios' lounges. Inspired by the style, luxury and timeless elegance of Fairmont's iconic properties, the lounges now offer an inspiring place for artists to record, work and socialize. Stylish design elements and refined furnishings echo some of Fairmont's most storied hotel bars and public spaces, which evoke a sense of history and memorable moments, much like Abbey Road Studios.
- Fairmont Peace Hotel, the hub of Shanghai's jazz scene for decades, welcomes a music-centered showcase titled Abbey Road Studios and the World's Greatest Music from September 23 to November 22, 2013. This exhibition offers the public a unique opportunity to view the studio's legendary Challen piano, a 1964 vintage multi-tone "Jangle Box" (the nickname was given because of its unique "honky-tonk" pedal), which is believed to have been used during landmark recordings including The Beatles' tracks of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" and "Tomorrow Never Knows," among others. An accompanying photo exhibit celebrates Abbey Road Studios' illustrious 80 plus year history.
"Partnerships have proven to be a very effective way for Fairmont to go-to-market and are a key component of our overall marketing strategy," said Alexandra Blum, Fairmont's Executive Director, Partnerships. "Establishing compelling and innovative partner programs that meet our business objectives has enabled us to increase our brand recognition and value in the eyes of guests and prospective customers. Additionally, our partnership activity drives incremental room night production and provides partners like Universal Music with opportunities to showcase and further the reach of their brand through non-traditional marketing channels."