Ohio State University Department of Dance to Present AMERICA TO CHINA AND BACK, 4/17-18
The Department of Dance presents "America to China and Back," a stateside reprise of the contemporary dance program performed by Ohio State dance students as the Susan Van Pelt Petry Touring Company in China in March. The eight pieces will be staged at 8 p.m. on Thursday, April 17, and Friday, April 18, in the Riffe Center's Studio Two Theatre, 77 South High St.
The group of four dance students, Alice Bacani, Tamara Carrasco, Leisa DeCarlo and Kelly Hurlburt traveled with Petry and presented the program of dance works that represent U.S. and western dance trends. They will be joined in the program by understudy Ayana Freeman.
The dancers were part of a larger group of Ohio State students - including the Jazz Ensemble and a Beat-box Club - who traveled to China to share their unique American art forms with audiences in cities and universities there. Their trip was partially funded by a grant awarded to the Center of American Culture collaboratively directed by Ohio State and Wuhan University (WHU) in Hubei Province.
The April 17 and 18 program will feature:
- Dots (2013), choreography by Rodney A. Brown
- Glacier (39N116E) (2013), choreography by Ann Sofie Clemmensen
- Just Add Water (2014), choreography by Susan Hadley
- O Mortal (1992), choreography by Susan Van Pelt Petry
- Chair/Pillow from Continuous Project - Altered Daily (1970), choreography by Yvonne Rainer
- Daydream from Rooms (2013), choreography by Anna Sokolow
- Then This (2014), choreography by Abigail Zbikowski
- Nothing III (2013), choreography by Noa Zuk
"After performing in six venues in four cities, these eight pieces of choreography hold a new dimension of meaning and cultural value that we are anxious to share with our patrons here in Columbus, Ohio," said Petry.
Tickets are $20 general admission; $15 senior citizens; $10 OSU faculty / staff / students (w ID) and children. Discounted tickets may only be purchased via the Ohio State Theatre Box Office: (614) 292-2295. Tickets also available via Ticketmaster.com and CAPA: (614) 469-0939
Photo by Stephanie Matthews