re: Most Emotionally Charged Ensemble Numbers

Sumofallthings
Broadway Legend
What do you guys think are the most emotionally-charged ensemble numbers? Numbers with an energy that just pushes them forward and makes the audience merge with the actors emotionally?

My thoughts:

Something Just Broke - Assassins
Louder Than Words - Tick, Tick BOOM!
BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Finale B from RENT comes to mind.
jam_man
Broadway Legend
I'm sure everyone else will say it, and I wish I could be more creative, but the only one that comes to mind at this time is the finale of Les Miz. That's all I got, and I wish it wasn't what everyone else will say. But I DID get it first!
"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!
Updated On: 7/30/05 at 01:36 AM
zoran912
Broadway Legend
"Sunday" from SITPWG
jam_man
Broadway Legend
If you ment just pure energy, not just emotion, than one of the most energizing numbers I've ever done was "Light of the World" in Godspell. Also, "We Dance," and "Comedy, Tonight" were big pump-up numbers. pretty much any great opening song done well will have enormous amounts of energy.
"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!
tagiunagi
Broadway Legend
We are Decended - Dessa Rose
No One Mourns the Wicked - Wicked
Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.
BwayBoy25
Leading Actor
audition from 42nd street comes to mind...
hear the beat...
lvpblues
Broadway Star
"Till We Reach That Day" - Ragtime
"Godspeed, Titanic" - Titanic
"Make Our Garden Grow" - Candide
"Oklahoma!" - Oklahoma!
"Impossible Dream" - Finale - Man of La Mancha
http://www.theatreaficionado.com
futurewinnerbud
Understudy
the finale of Titanic
One Day More- Les Meserables
Fall of Saigon- Miss Saigon
Urban
Broadway Legend
To be completely different:

"Chasing the Whos" from "Seussical: The Musical"
tim10086
Featured Actor
Thank you to lvpblues and futurewinnerbud for suggestion numbers with emotion behind them.
I will climb back up that mountain!
Albin
Broadway Legend
"Seasons of Love"
MojaniD
Stand-by
Till We Reach That Day from Ragtime always brings tears to my eyes (even sometimes when I listen to the CD).

You'll Never Walk Alone (finale) from Carousel, gets me every time.

BwayBoy, I have to agree with you on the opening number of "42nd Street". I've been known to get choked up during that number!!
pndmnd
Broadway Star
Facade from Jekyll and Hyde

Falling in Love With You (I don't know if that's the real title--the Act I finale of All Shook Up).
overthemoon419
Broadway Star
"can't help falling in love" and "heartbreak hotel" from ASU
"one day more" from Les Miz
"another day" from Rent
"give peace a chance" from Lennon
"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
The Glory from The Civil War
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
Denny30
Swing
Secret Garden finale. Also, big number, not so much with the lump in the throat factor is "Light at the End of the Tunnel" from Starlight Express
"I had intended not to intrude myself upon your notice in this effective but alarming costume"
Liz_Bennet
Broadway Star
Anatevka from Fiddler
A Part of Us from Once on This Island
"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog
IveGottaBeME
Leading Actor
just saw Carousel the other day and "You'll never walk alone" was greatttt.... Also, Another day from Rent.
Denny30
Swing
Thought of another one..."Reach Right Down" from Starmites-the Musical! Obscure, much
"I had intended not to intrude myself upon your notice in this effective but alarming costume"
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Walk Him Up the Stairs - opening and closing of "Purlie" (Not the current production). It just gave me goosebumps.
Just give the world Love.
kikki327
Leading Actor
Goodnight Saigon - Movin' Out
Mythus
Broadway Legend
This isn't all ensemble, but it's most of them - "Take a look, Lee", the scene and following song from Assassins. I get drawn in by their pleas and emotionally overwhelmed, and then...the gunshot brings me back to reality. It's actually quite scary.
Derek
Broadway Star
"I Know Where I've Been" - Hairspray
"March of the Witch Hunters" - Wicked
Everything from Les Miz
The Finale from Phantom of the Opera
"We Beseech Thee" - Godspell
"Pray" - Once on This Island
"Brotherhood of Man" - How To Succeed
noahrp3
Broadway Star
What I Did For Love- A Chorus Line

I love this song!
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
Broadway Legend
I'd have to go with "Till We Reach That Day" from RAGTIME as well...OMG the feeling that overcomes a person during and after that song is nothing short of cathardic.

Of course I also believe "The Best of Times" from LA CAGE AUX FOLLES is a song that is very Emotionally Charged. When Albin as Zaza breaks into song it may be to entertain the guests at Chez Jaqulene...but, the hidden message of love, support, and undersatdning from Albin to Jean Michele who is about to be wed to a woman, which Albin this is unjust in itself, is not only extremely powerful and emotioanlly charged, but extremely thrilling and rewarding all at the same time.

Page: