Rights to Idina's

Kevinoes
Leading Actor
Hey all,

I am looking to record an EP for myself and a song I am considering recording is an obscure Idina song "It Only Hurts When I Breathe" which she performed at Joe's Pub and Ars Nova in 2001/2002 pre-Wicked days. Does anyone know who I should contact or maybe a rep of hers? Not sure where to direct this. Any help?
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/24/14 at 02:00am
Maybe check with ASCAP or BMI? I know they handle public performance rights to a pretty large catalog, though I don't know how it works if you want to record a song for public release.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
trentsketch
Broadway Legend
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/24/14 at 07:17am
Yeah, check with ASCAP and BMI to start. They do handle mechanical (recording) rights as well.
DooWahDiddy
Featured Actor
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/24/14 at 10:27am
If ASCAP or BMI can't help, try the Harry Fox Agency.
Nif1025
Swing
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/27/14 at 01:47am
I'm not sure how many songs contain the lyrics you mentioned, but you're probably thinking of the song titled simply "Breathe", which I know as made famous as sung by Melissa Etheridge. Good song that was heard on the radio by her in 2004. But after a little research, both M.E. and probably Idina were covering this song apparently written by 1 or more members of a group called Greenwheel. They released the original version in either 2001 or 2002, which fits the time frame you mentioned. The info is at the wikipedia link below. Maybe knowing the shorter title, group name, and the songwriters' possible last names (band members from link) can help with your search? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwheel
followspot
Broadway Star
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/27/14 at 10:14am
This might help in the search...

Idina Menzel It Only Hurts When I Breathe
"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
followspot
Broadway Star
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/27/14 at 10:25am
"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
veronicamae
Featured Actor
Rights to Idina's
Posted: 7/27/14 at 11:56am
"I'm not sure how many songs contain the lyrics you mentioned, but you're probably thinking of the song titled simply "Breathe", which I know as made famous as sung by Melissa Etheridge."

That's not at all the song he's referring to (though a wonderful song!). Idina wrote a completely different song by the same name - she debuted it at her Joe's Pub performances in 2001. She recorded it for her independent "Here" EP, but it was not included on the release.

I'm guessing you'd have to go through her manager - Burt Goldstein.
It's not listed with her BMI repertoire.
Updated On: 7/27/14 at 11:56 AM

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Fall Season Guide