Recent flops that will be future Encores! shows...

ljay889
Broadway Legend
What recent flops (mid 2000's-now) with great scores are obvious choices for an Encores! production years from now?

I believe the two that stand out the most are

1. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
2. Bridges of Madison County

Two great Tony nominated scores that have gained cult followings. The Scottsboro Boys is also another likely contender.

What are some others?

#sadandtransparent
Updated On: 5/18/14 at 10:48 PM
gstrus2
Broadway Star
Hands on a Hardbody, perhaps?
aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
I would be at Encores Women on the Verge in a heartbeat. That show was so fun.
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
They did Superman recently. Maybe Spider-Man in 25 years when it becomes a classic?

That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
Updated On: 5/18/14 at 10:56 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Not with that score.

Add to that it would be impossible for them to stage.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
How would it be impossible to stage as a concert?
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
As a concert yes

Any resemblance such as was done with Superman and Irma would be impossible.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
gleek4114
Broadway Star
9 to 5
Seussical
Scandalous
The Pirate Queen
Big Fish
First Date
Lysistrata Jones
Bring It On
Cry Baby
Catch Me If You Can
Bonnie and Clyde
Legally Blonde
Parade
Soul Doctor
Young Frankenstein
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
I thought of Bonnie & Clyde which I loved but I figured they would know that people would give them sh!t for calling a Wildhorn show a "great American musical" even though it's his best work.
ljay889
Broadway Legend
There's not many musicals on that list (no offense) that will be considered "great American musicals" or even scores.

Although I can see them doing "Catch Me if You Can" someday.
#sadandtransparent
Updated On: 5/18/14 at 11:27 PM
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Just remembered that VERGE was the score to shut CATCH ME out of a best score nomination.
#sadandtransparent
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
The more I listen to the WOMEN'S ON THE VERGE cast album, the more I think that somewhere in there there was something interesting. "Model Behavior" is brilliant, and there's a few other inspired moments. Maybe Encores! can do a fantastic job with it in a decade or so.
CAROLINE, OR CHANGE would be the main one I'd like them to do in a few years from now with Anika Noni Rose as Caroline.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Mr. Nowack
Broadway Star
Maybe if they do Seussical they could restore the Lorax number! It's total irrelevance to the plot wouldn't matter in a concert setting.
I was previously known as Mr. Nowak (Joined: 5/20/13).
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Women on the Verge is one of the cast recordings that I can not get tired of.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
haterobics
Broadway Legend
"people would give them sh!t for calling a Wildhorn show a "great American musical" even though it's his best work."

Someone doing their best work doesn't make it great.
formerly oasisjeff on here.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
9 to 5
Seussical
Scandalous
The Pirate Queen
Big Fish
First Date
Lysistrata Jones
Bring It On
Cry Baby
Catch Me If You Can
Bonnie and Clyde
Legally Blonde
Parade
Soul Doctor
Young Frankenstein

Lol, that list is more like the ones they will NEVER do.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
The Scottsboro Boys doesn't need a concert, they need to get the west end production filmed. It is perfect as it is, plus the show wouldn't lend itself to concert staging.
I could see:
CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
PARADE
SEUSSICAL
BERNARDA ALBA
SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE
GIANT
MARIE CHRISTINE
THE WILD PARTY (The good version)
You taste the silver Sara, you taste the crown, you thirst for blood from the roses in hand, oh you spoil for sash and scepter doing a dance, as they crown you queen of High School Land.
perfectlymarvelous
Broadway Legend
I could see them possibly doing Giant or Marie Christine but not so much See What I Wanna See unless it was part of something like Off Center...that show is far too small for the main part of their season.

And I think Women on the Verge is a fantastic show somewhere in there...the score is great, I've really grown to love the cast recording. I still think the main issue with what was on Broadway was the production rather than the material. It was a giant mess but still incredibly fun when I saw it early in previews, and from what I've heard it improved at least marginally as they made changes throughout previews.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Sweet Smell of Success
High Fidelity
....but the world goes 'round
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
I assume the "good version" of the WILD PARTY is the Michael John Lachiusa version?
HBP
Broadway Star
The very first thought that came to my mind when I read the thread title was "Women on the Verge." I'd love to see a concert version as two of the worst aspects of the show would likely be eliminated: the silly accents and the sillier sets.
WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel
Broadway Legend
Light in the Piazza
Grey Gardens

The Story of My Life in the summer Off-Broadway series

What about some shows from the (early) 80s? Enough time has passed to start including some of them.

Baby
The Tap Dance Kid

A little risky- A Doll's Life
They would never, but here's to hoping- Dance a Little Closer
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
After Eight
Broadway Legend

"The Story of My Life in the summer Off-Broadway series "

Except it was on Broadway.

"What about some shows from the (early) 80s?"

30+ years ago is "recent?"

Broadway Legend
I realize The Story of My Life was on Broadway, but it fits better in the summer series so I'm making the executive decision to include it there.

I didn't say the 80s were recent. I said enough time has passed (30+ years) to start including them in the program. I was throwing my own question out there without starting a new thread, which I would have guessed you would appreciate. I know how upset you get when people clog up the board with "useless" threads.
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
ljay889
Broadway Legend
How could I forget Grey Gardens? Another ideal candidate.
I don't think Piazza would be considered a flop though. It ran over a year and won 6 Tonys. Wasn't it a pretty big success for LCT? It seems like a show that will get a full fledged revival someday. Wouldn't Kelli O'Hara make a great Margaret in the future?

#sadandtransparent
Updated On: 5/19/14 at 08:12 AM
Broadway Legend
I know Piazza can't technically be considered a flop or a hit because it wasn't produced commercially, but I threw it in there because it would sound sublime with the Encores orchestra and be perfect for their mission. Kelli would indeed make a wonderful Margaret someday.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV