Comscore

Justin Guarini and Mary Testa join Broadway's WICKED

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
http://www.broadway.com/buzz/174211/welcome-new-ozians-christine-dwyer-jenni-barber-justin-guarini-mary-testa-will-fly-into-broadways-wicked/

Any new blood in that show is a good thing. Guarini is a bit old, but I'm sure he'll be solid. Testa will be wasted in that role.
Blackbird3
Understudy
This should be fun! Any idea as to how long their contracts are for?
backtotheskies Profile Photo
backtotheskies
Swing
Jenni as Glinda is something I've been dreaming of forever!
Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
Broadway Star
Oh, how refreshing!
Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
I love Jenni Barber.
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Jenni Barber should be hilarious!
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Always glad when Mary Testa books a job, but God, she deserves to be a headliner like Audra McDonald and Donna Murphy. A shame she doesn't get those roles on Broadway; by the way, she'd have killed it as Hannigan in the recent revival of ANNIE, I assume if (as Riedel reported) the creative team did not want the role played for laughs, they didn't even see her for it. Oh well. Testa was the highlight in the ill-conceived revival of GUYS & DOLLS and she barely had a couple lines; she'll probably do a great job with Morrible.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 2/3/14 at 06:33 PM
oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
Leading Actor
I love Jenni Barber. Great young comedic actress. All the best for Christine Dwyer, as she is a great Elphaba and hard working individual. I heard the new stand by will Anne Brummel, a long time tour Elphaba.

I personally love Mary Testa (she was the best part of the Guys and Dolls revival!), but I want to see her in something new again. She kills me in everything she does.

In related news, Laurel Harris left the national tour this past weekend and Emmy Raver-Lampman is the new stand by Elphie. Matt Shingledecker is also the new Fiyero on the 2NT.
girlonbroadway Profile Photo
girlonbroadway
Swing
Thrilled for Christine, I just hope she doesn't lose her voice a la Eden Espinosa & Julia Murney.
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
Christine was my Elphaba and she was excellent! So happy for her
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Barber is the first Broadway Glinda to never play the role since Jennifer Laura Thompson. Not a big Justin Guarini fan, but I think he will good.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
And Barber deserves it. She is glorious. I urge everyone on here to revisit it for her take on Glinda.
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
glad Testa will be back on Broadway. I've wondered if she's ever played Mama in Chicago??
A Chorus Line played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013.
wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
Broadway Legend
Girlonbroadway, Christine won't have any vocal problems. She played the role for a year on tour after being the standby for a year. She knows what she is capable of singing
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
. I've wondered if she's ever played Mama in Chicago??

Performer: Mary Testa
Matron - Replacement (Apr 25, 2005 - Jul 17, 2005)
jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Has wicked ever cleaned house like this before? 5 new principals coming in the same day.
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
^ They had a pretty big cast change in November 2008.
veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
Leading Actor
"Guarini is a bit old"

First I was shocked that someone would call him too old.

Then I was shocked to find out he's 35.

And now I feel old.
misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
Broadway Star
Sure he might be a bit older than some other Fiyeros, but this casting seems pretty solid. I love Mary Testa and Jenni Barber! This seems like good choices by Wicked's creative team.
Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.
jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
considering Norbert was pushing 40 and wearing a wig to originate Fiyero, Mr. Guarini will be fine
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
AEA AGMA SM Profile Photo
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Many Fiyeros have been around the same age as Guarini (or older, like Norbert when he originated it). He's far from the oldest to play the role.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Yes, which is why so many people found it refreshing to see Aaron Tveit and Kyle Dean Massey play the role, because they actually looked age appropriate. Norbert, Kevin Kern, Andy Karl, etc looked fairly ridiculous.
Regardless, I think Guarini will be quite good. This production needed new blood.
Updated On: 2/3/14 at 11:54 PM
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I really didn't think anyone could ever get me to go back to this show. But Jenni Barber? HELL YES.
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
Maybe the producers think that audiences don't mind 35 to 39 year old actors since Fiyero has been kicked out of so many schools over the years. After all, he told his driver, "I'm sure I won't last longer at this school than any of the others."

Updated On: 2/4/14 at 03:00 PM
adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Will there be any scenery left after Mary Testa finishes chewing her way through it?

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
~Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
~Walt Disney

My name is neither "adam" nor "greer."
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
Broadway Legend
Madame Morrible has become more of a comic set piece over the past ten years. Casting a legendary comedienne of the stage in the role would not have made sense in 2004, but makes lots of sense with the state of the show now.

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement