Longest Running Flop

Littleshopofcarrie
Broadway Star
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 05:48pm
What broadway musical flop ran for the longest?
loliveve
Broadway Star
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 05:50pm
just a guess, but wouldn't that be "Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark"?!
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 05:58pm
The revival of "42nd Street" opened in March of 2001 and ran until January 2005. It was a long run, but didn't recoup.
WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 05:58pm
Jekyll and Hyde ran 1543...don't know if that beats 42nd Street or not.
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 06:00pm
Jekyll and Hyde ran 1543 performances. The 42nd Street revival ran for 1524.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 07:11pm
How do you define flop? There are a lot of very good musicals that never recouped. I wouldn't call them flops. Then there are the musicals that just never make it due to bad book, bad music, bad presentation, should never have been put on stage, etc
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Someone in a Tree2
Broadway Star
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 08:45pm
Please, oh please, let's not run through that age-old argument about what does or does not constitute a flop again. That subject seems to come up on these boards every other month or so. If a show doesn't recoup, boom! it's a flop. (Which is admittedly a sad thing to call the 42nd Street revival which I personally thought was a stupendous improvement on the original.)

I frankly didn't realize Jekyl & Hyde didn't recoup, so that's new news to me.
Tag
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 09:14pm
Has Rock of Ages recouped yet?
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 09:19pm
Has ABIE'S IRISH ROSE recouped yet?
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/27/14 at 09:33pm
Phantom of the Outhouse. How that thing continues to run amazes me.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 1/28/14 at 09:33 PM
dented146
Broadway Star
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/28/14 at 01:44am
It seems a very narrow criteria to base the term flop only on the ability of a show to recoup on Broadway. What about a show like Memphis which doesn't recoup but wins the Tony and then likely makes a profit on tour?
broadwaydevil
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/28/14 at 01:56am
Actually, I think Memphis did recoup just before it closed.

And sorry, that's the way just about anyone in the industry or anyone who talks about the industry defines flop. Did it recoup its investment on Broadway? That's it.

There are plenty of other ways one can describe a show that was critically panned (that's one way of saying it!).

Sunset Boulevard is an infamous flop but Jekyll and Hyde ran longer.

Not sure if Rock of Ages has recouped or not. If it hasn't, that's certainly getting up there to be one of the loner running shows that hasn't recouped.
Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:00am
Memphis and Rock of Ages announced recoupment.

I also think that J&H takes this one.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:20am
"It seems a very narrow criteria to base the term flop only on the ability of a show to recoup on Broadway."

It's really the only quantitative measure of success. Everything else is purely subjective and you would never reach a consensus on it.

And it does seem that Jekyll & Hyde would be the winner in this case.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Longest Running Flop
Posted: 1/28/14 at 05:01am
Anything else is purely subjective opinion. A show can be a critically acclaimed flop. Or an fan fervent flop.....but it's still a flop. Many shows can end up recouping on tour....but techncally they are flops -- they didn't break even ON Broadway.

But yes, it would nice if every now and then a thread about flops didn't dissolve into this. (of which I just participated.)
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.