New Annie Movie Colossal Blunder

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 10:55am
It appears that the original Annie film will be better than the remake. For some ungodly reason the powers that be have decided to have the musical reset to the 1980's

This is the worse decision since the Yankees signed Alex R

Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Updated On: 9/27/13 at 10:55 AM
loliveve
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 10:56am
I would say that decisions that have been announced have seemed like colossal blunders to me.
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 10:58am
Come on - makes sense - who makes bathtub gin anymore?! Miss Hannigan is going to be cooking crystal meth and growing pot in her rent controlled bedbug infested apartment.
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:15am
Are they cutting the FDR character? The song "New Deal For Christmas" is specifically targeted towards FDR. Are they going to delete that song or just not rely on the double meaning?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:40am
It would be best if they didn't call this film "Annie"
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:41am
Looks like all references to the depression are gone. This appears to be a giant vanity project.Oh well

Jaime Foxx plays Benjamin Stacks the Daddy Warbucks character. This appears to have the makings of A Chorus Line type of bomb
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
Updated On: 9/27/13 at 11:41 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:42am
In other news, I hear they might make an Into the Woods movie.
Can anyone tell me how the line has been?
gavyj
Stand-by
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:56am
Perhaps the FDR character will be Regan and sing "The War On Drugs for Christmas" or "Tear Down This Wall for Christmas. "
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 11:58am
The on-set photos look like it's set modern day, but I guess it could be 80s in a generic/cliche styling way.
evic
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 12:20pm
Remember "The Wiz"? Every time a classic is "redone" or creatives think they can do it better, it is always a disaster.
xoffender45
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 12:42pm
There were Citibikes in the 80s?
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 12:44pm
I have a feeling many people on this board are not the targeted audience.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:04pm
Then it's not universal! White people are universal!
Can anyone tell me how the line has been?
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:05pm
Annie is a sacred text. How dare it be sullied.
smallvillefan16
Understudy
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:08pm
So far, what have we heard or seen that makes this movie 'Annie'? Outside of the name and Miss Hannigan character, there seems to be no relation to the musical. The Wiz was a great musical, but horrendous film; they lost the whole meaning during the translation from stage to screen. Seems like this film is going to have the same problem. I'm terrified to see what the soundtrack will look like. 'Hard Knock Life' is the only song I can imagine them actually using.

I'm sure a new song will be written for Miss Hannigan, a new song for Megabucks [or whatever they've named him] and a new song for Annie that will NOT be 'Tomorrow'.

I just don't get the direction [NOT race wise] that they are going with this film...
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:12pm
Annie, shockingly enough, was a property before the musical.
N2N Nate.
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:17pm
How can you guys say this movie willl suck when you haven't seen a single clip from it? Come on now.
So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:24pm
Who said that?
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:34pm
To be fair, if they write any new songs for Annie I should hope they AREN'T "Tomorrow." It would be awfully repetitive if all the new songs were. Also, probably not considered kosher by Charles Strouse.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 01:56pm
I'm going to wait and see if Emma Thompson keeps her name on the movie. If she removes her name as a writer, you'll know it's a stinker.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Liza's Headband
Broadway Legend
Kad
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 02:35pm
I still am unsure how Roxy got that it was set in the 80s. It's clearly modern dress, she was on a Citibike, and every press release has indicated it was modern-day.
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 04:04pm
The bigger issue I'm having is that in modern times, isn't it a little bit sketchy for a single man to "borrow" an orphan?
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 9/27/13 at 04:08pm
Especially since orphanages don't really exist. He'd have to become a foster parent and go through that lengthy process, but I guess a very very very wealthy man could speed that up a little. Come to think of it, even in the 1930s the idea of a businessman to borrow an orphan (boy or girl) simply for good publicity is awful.
Patash
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 04:17pm
I think the original poster here got sidetracked with the comments about the other movie made in the 1980's. All releases I've seen indicate it is taking place in the present. Cars in background shots, if not the Citibike thing would certainly make that true.
jimmycurry01
Broadway Legend
Posted: 9/27/13 at 04:37pm
I am not looking forward to this one at all. I don't really think that a third film version of Annie is necessary. The cast sounds like a talented group, but I don't see the story working all that well in a modern setting and I am leery of updating the score. Benjamin Stacks is very clever pun though, and definitely works better in modern times than than the dated pun Oliver Warbucks in the here and now.

Page: