AMELIE on Broadway

SporkGoddess
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:14pm
Sad, I love Amelie.
Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:16pm
Well, when you are a filmmaker who cares about the composition of every single frame, I can see how some of the bloated nonsense that plays on Broadway for a few months could turn somebody off to it. Makes me wonder if he's seen much artistically adventurous fare.
"I hate dead people!" -- Joan Rivers. A Piece of Work
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:20pm
He'd have shot himself if he'd seen Bernadette Peters in Follies.
TalkinLoud
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:22pm
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films are terrible. So...who cares?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:25pm
Computer says no..
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:25pm
Amelie. That's the movie about that disturbingly obsessive stalker, right?

Stalkers are so cute and quirky.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 8/23/13 at 10:25 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:26pm
Not really, no.
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:39pm
And as we all know all film is without any tackiness.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 10:44pm
People seem to be taking this as a personal affront.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:00pm
Of course it's a personal affront. It's all about them and Their Reaction.

I think it's a nice change of pace for a director to speak up and say, "I really don't think this should happen."
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
ARTc3
Broadway Star
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:11pm
Jean-Pierre Jeunet is one of my favorite directors.
ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:17pm
Micmacs almost got by me but I caught it at a rep house and loved LOVED it. Consistently inventive and surprising, it is a work of remarkable craft. Granted, it's no Good Vibrations or Lestat, but still.
loliveve
Broadway Star
Re:
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:38pm
Well, I disagree with his opinion but he is allowed to have it. Plus, I have to say that I am impressed with his decision to sell the rights for a charitable cause, in spite of the negative opinion he holds.
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
Re:
Posted: 8/24/13 at 12:35am
"He'd have shot himself if he'd seen Bernadette Peters in Follies."

Yes, her convincing performance as a depressed house-wife was so powerful it might have had that kind of contagious effect. Wonderful, wonderful acting.

ARTc3
Broadway Star
Re:
Posted: 8/24/13 at 01:10am
I wonder if its Broadway only, or theater in general.
ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.
Hackasaurus_Rex
Understudy
Re:
Posted: 8/24/13 at 01:24am
I guess I can see his point in the sense that there is a ton of crap you have to sift through but WTF, that is the case in any art form... film included.. maybe even especially. I just feel bad for him that his tastes are so narrow.

That said the composer's comments do make me nervous. "I'm not interested in doing Parisian music." Huh? I hope there is a real reason for this (I mean, since it is set in Paris for christsakes) and not just the hubris of "Damn the movie, I'm going to make this MY Amelie!" I can't imagine this story without at least a hint of Parisian feel to the score.... that would feel strange IMO.
david_fick
Chorus Member
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 01:25am
AMELIE sounds like a classic example of a "why" musical to me. A fantastic film with an iconic score, transforming AMELIE into a musical with its own distinct artistic voice will be a mean feat.

As for Jean-Pierre Jeunet's comment, I can understand why he might identify Broadway as a tacky theatre arena. Some choice examples aside, musical theatre on Broadway has become something of a theme park affair. People sometimes argue that this has to do with what sells but if we've learned anything from the past decade or so, it is that a jukebox musical or a musical based on a movie as just as much potential to flop in spite of the reputation of the band or film as it has to succeed.
DeNada
Broadway Star
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 03:08am
Amelie's rapid deadpan humour and surreality isn't something I see transferring well to the stage; having to pace the show for laugh breaks and other audience noises seems like it might take all of the fun out of it. The opening montage of things Amelie enjoys, for instance, will presumably be musicalised, but I can't help feel like it will become a bit overblown as a result.

I love Amelie, and I love musicals, but I'm not totally convinced about this adaptation as yet.
VeraCharles3
Featured Actor
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 05:25am
While I don't agree with Jean-Pierre Jeunet about Broadway, I can understand his reluctance. Amelie is one of my favorite movies and the score by Yann Tiersen is wonderful.

I don't think the experience of seeing the movie could be bettered so I don't think we need a musical version, especially if there will be nothing from the original score
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 05:59am
I never got the love for Amelie. Loved the score however kind of hated the film. The same way I hated Big Fish.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
AvenueQResident
Broadway Star
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 08:49am
Wonder if they'll include the "How many people are having an orgasm right now?" part.
Everything in life...is only for now.
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/24/13 at 09:14pm
"For charity" sounds like an excuse to bash, and still get the cash.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/25/13 at 09:11am
"The very incarnation of tackiness".....says the guy who made Alien: Resurrection.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
best12bars
Broadway Legend
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/25/13 at 09:33am
"The very incarnation of tackiness" says the guy who is bragging about his charitable contributions.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
aaronb
Broadway Star
AMELIE on Broadway
Posted: 8/25/13 at 06:35pm
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films are terrible. So...who cares?

Exactly. He did good work when Marc Caro was co-directing, but his solo stuff is painfully cute.
Check out my theater blog, http://www.scribicide.com

Page: