If Shirley MacLaine were to return to Broadway...

Playbilly
Broadway Legend
...what role would you like to see her in?
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
At 80 (MacLaine's 78 and I'm assuming the project will take a year or two to get off the ground)?

The old woman in ZORBA.

And whatever parts Angela Lansbury has left laying around.

Updated On: 10/26/12 at 08:38 PM
little_sally
Broadway Legend
I'm still not over the fact she's not playing Violet in the August film.
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
In this life or in her next reincarnation?
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Caring Soul
Understudy
I'd love to see her onstage again. Can't someone write a musical adapted for her talents - she deserves a career capstone.

Updated On: 10/27/12 at 09:44 PM
best12bars
Broadway Legend
I think she would have (or would?) make a wonderful Mme. Armfeldt.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Not a musical but I'd love to see her in DOUBT.
justoldbill
Broadway Star
"If My Friends Could See Me NOW!!!!!"
Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
...they'd never believe it.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
That's my favorite Kathie Lee Gifford song!!!
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
I think she would have (or would?) make a wonderful Mme. Armfeldt.

I agree. And it's not obvious casting, but I think she would do it very well.
3bluenight
Stand-by
IIRC, most of her stage work was in musicals. I agree that Mme Armfeldt would be very interesting.

her carlotta would be plausible to me.
Namaste
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
"her carlotta would be plausible to me."

I thought you meant in Phantom!
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow *****
once a month
Broadway Legend
She'd have the EXACT SAME show she had last time, and the time before that. "I love you all..."!
jv92
Broadway Legend
I think she'd be too old for Carlotta Campion at this point. Liza would seem more plausible, and even she's too old, probably.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend

"Whatever parts Angela Lansbury has left laying around" is the phrase of the day.
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
The Madwoman of Chaillot, The Visit. The plays. She could certainly do Dear World and the musical version of The Visit as well. But I have no interest in seeing them.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
She should have been given the revival of Driving Miss Daisy on Broadway.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
3bluenight
Stand-by
^ instead of vanessa?

re carlotta: yes, from follies. not phantom. although she might make a fabulous page boy.

ann miller was an older carlotta wasn't she? - not that it would make the age work, but precedent has been set correct?
Namaste
Rodgerdodger
Chorus Member
Put me down in the Mme. Armfeldt camp. I'd also be curious to see her do Berthe.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
"^ instead of vanessa?"

Yes, instead of Vanessa.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
"Whatever parts Angela Lansbury has left laying around" is the phrase of the day.

Thanks. I swear I didn't post it to be snotty. I was in the studio audience for a British TV show MacLaine did nine years ago and she was hysterical.

But I think we have to realistic: the number of roles appropriate for a woman of her age are few.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
"But I think we have to realistic: the number of roles appropriate for a woman of her age are few."

Oh I don't agree with that. I think all the British dames are finding roles: Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins, Helen Mirren, Geraldine McEwan, Joanna Lumley, Brenda Blethyn, Stephanie Cole, Pauline Collins, Julia McKenzie, Annette Crosbie, Penelope Wilton, Prunella Scales
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
I love Lansbury as much as anyone, but I would have liked to have seen MacLaine in THE BEST MAN.

Imagine if someone could get MacLaine and Beatty in a show together? Sell out. Not that I can think of anything off the top of my head that would be a showcase for them.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
ggersten
Broadway Legend
She should have been in the revival of "On A Clear Day..."

Page: