Coal Miner's Daughter on Broadway
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:49pm
Starring Zooey Deschanel!
luvcaroline
Leading Actor
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:52pm
Please, please, please let this happen!!
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:54pm
When can I start buying my full priced tickets? My mom will definitely be flying up from Buenos Aires a few times just for this.
So what does that make you, Brody? A zero-trick pony? - Wanna Be A Foster .........................The only power brody wields is in his own mind, joe. But it's amusing to watch him pretend nonetheless. - tazber
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:05pm

So what does that make you, Brody? A zero-trick pony? - Wanna Be A Foster .........................The only power brody wields is in his own mind, joe. But it's amusing to watch him pretend nonetheless. - tazber
Playbilly
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:06pm
Interesting to see if it's jukebox, original score or a mixture.
"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:12pm
^ As long as it's about Loretta and has her blessing I'm there. I hope they serve some down home Southern cooking at the theater for pre-show

"Plans for a stage adaptation are still in the beginning stages, with no creative team attached or workshop dates announced. The producers — Fox Theatricals and Scott Sanders Productions — have been behind such Broadway hits as “Legally Blonde,” ‘’The Color Purple,” ‘’Red” and “Thoroughly Modern Millie.”

http://www.coalminersdaughterbroadway.com/

More about the show
Updated On: 5/10/12 at 11:12 PM
gfaustswa
Featured Actor
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:30pm
Pretty cool! Nice way to have different areas of my life collide tonight. I live about 20 min from the Ryman.....my son spent a majority of his life in KY.....and I've been planning my next NYC theatre trip for the past few hours. Kinda one of those 6 degrees of separation things.....
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/11/12 at 01:10am
NOT. WITH. HER.

ANY other actress. Seriously, I'd rather see Gina Gershon or Bernadette Peters and Loretta than Zooey.
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 06:33am
The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good idea. My first response was quizzical; this isn't the type of role or risk I'd expect Deschanel to take for her Broadway debut. But it may be just the thing she needs to break out of her adorkable niche.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 06:44am
I just can't see her giving the character any real depth -- I hope to be proven wrong, because I'm sure she'll sing the part beautifully.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 06:57am
Ugh I dislike her so much. There are few actresses I dislike more than Zooey.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 07:50am

Will she get rid of those godawful bangs?
CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD CUM OIL
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 07:53am
Look who's talking, douchebag.
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/11/12 at 07:59am
I don't see her doing this schedule wise. She's only free 3-4 months a year because of "New Girl" and I don't think a producer would give her that short a contract (including rehearsals) unless it were a limited run like Roundabout does with their tv stars (Jim Parsons the current example).
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:06am

I cut them off and sent them to you!
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:10am
Is that what that was? LOL
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:14am

Well... they were pasted to a severed penis, but, yeah.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:17am
See, I thought you sent me one of those little troll doll pencil toppers.
themysteriousgrowl
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:21am

Ugh. God damn it. I did. But I thought the penis bangs would get there first before the pencil topper

Pretend this whole conversation never happened and try to at least ACT surprised, okay?
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:27am
Well I love Zooey,, I love the movie Coal Miner's Daughter (not sure if this based directly on that though), but I have no desire to see a jukebox musical of Loretta's life.

I am assuming they will be using her songs, because otherwise what's the point right?
....but the world goes 'round
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:34am
Unless Lo-Retty writes up some dem new ditty's she done been a workin' on.
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:35am
Coal Miner's Daughter is one of my all time favorite films and I think Zooey Deschanel is definitely talented and gifted so this seems like a really good fit.

Looking forward to hearing more about it.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:37am
Oooh, good point jordy! If there were new songs I would definitely be interested.
....but the world goes 'round
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 08:40am
An maybe she cin git up a whole messa new thangs what so to cross pre-mote with a new record she gon' make up fer it.
nasty_khakis
Broadway Star
Posted: 5/11/12 at 09:47am
Carlos- No disrespect to your opinion of her. You're entitled to adore her manic pixie dreamgirl realness. I've only ever seen her play that same character. Could you please give me an example of when she's played a role with the fire, spunk, and attitude that Loretta Lynn posesses??

Also, her vocal type is quirky and on the thin side. She vocally sounds nothing like Mrs Lynn.

Dolly Parton is also currently working on a bio musical. I wonder who'll reach the broad way first?
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 5/11/12 at 09:53am
Two words...Urban Cowboy. Three words...Ring of Fire.

I personally find the adorkableness unbearably cloying and it wore itself out a long time ago. And I simply cannot imagine, short of moving her series in New York, how they can possibly make this work.

Can Loretta herself just do it? She looks fabulous.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Page: