Page:

An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers

Miranda3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I too am old enough to admit to seeing "Jerry's Girls" in the day. What struck me then and now is: With Dorothy Loudon's formidable talents, what kept her from getting more major roles on Broadway? Was it circumstance/karma, i.e., her age at the time of her peak? Was it her TV involvement (Garry Moore)? I watch her "Vodka" number, plus the two-tune Sondheim medley, on YouTube frequently to raise my spirits. Why did she not have a bigger/grander/more-deserved Broadway career? Maybe she just didn't want to work? I know not. Please advise!
TimesSquared Profile PhotoTimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I would LOVE to see those scrapbooks. I'm obsessed with that 50's and 60's New York world of Broadway and TV variety shows. Wish I'd been a part of it!
DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also saw Jerry Girls. A few times. I loved going to that theater and watching all the divas work it. The last performance I saw was the Friday before Chitas car accident. We used to get comps thru NYU.. so I was always at the St James.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
dreside
Swing
Swing
An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers#28
Posted: 12/8/12 at 10:00am
And now you can! All of Dorothy Loudon's scrapbooks have been scanned and put online as part of a digital exhibition. We (NYPL) also have her scripts for ANNIE, ANNIE 2, The Ashes of Mrs. Reasoner, West Side Waltz and a script for Fig Leaves are Falling (from another collection).
There's also an audio recording of a variety show, with lyrics by Fred Ebb, at a summer camp in 1959.

Dorothy Loudon Collection at NYPL
irememberitwell
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers#29
Posted: 12/8/12 at 10:57am
Miranda, Like Maureen Stapleton, Loudon had a serious alcohol problem which impeded her working later in life. Like most great comedians, she had a tragic side that belied her outward personae.
wonderwaiter Profile Photowonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
dreside, thank you so much for sharing that with us! It's beautiful!
"The tale doesn't so much unfold as ooze out..."

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Latest - NBCUniversal to Offer Inclusive Viewing Experience of HAIRSPRAY LIVE!
Save $$$ on Tickets to:
Backstage with Richard Ridge
JERSEY BOYS' Mark Ballas
Backstage Bite
Thanksgiving Special!
Turning the Tables
BWW TV LAST MINUTE with Randy Rainbow Congas to ON YOUR FEET!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
Randy Rainbow Checks in w/ Liza to Chat HAIRSPRAY, Pence & More!
KID CRITICS
KID CRITICS at BLUE MAN!
BROADWAY SESSIONS
Open Mic'ers Bring It All to Broadway Sessions!

Advertisement AdvertisementAdvertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement