Printer Friendly - Bombshell OCR Thoughts- SMASH

Bombshell OCR Thoughts- SMASH
Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-06 18:57:44

I know there are already a lot of SMASH threads, but I thought one dedicated to the cast recording would be easier than sifting through the other thread.

For those who have listened to it, what did you think?

Also here is the AOL Music Live Stream

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-07 19:22:08

Of the new songs I love "Public Relations", "Moving the Line", and "Hang the Moon".

Hang the Moon has such a simple melody and it uses some of the same theme from "Mr. and Mrs Smith"/"White Baby Grand". I am curious as to how it fits in the show. It also gives us proof that Leigh Conroy will be playing Marilyn's crazy mother.

Posted by jasonf 2013-02-07 20:01:47

I got to listen to it on AOL -- what a great album! I think it would make for a great show.

I can't get Mr. and Mrs. Smith out of my head.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2013-02-07 20:48:02

"Public Relations" is one of my favorites too! I'm really excited to see that number on the show

Posted by DrJekyll 2013-02-08 08:38:51

Nice to hear "Dig Deep" sung by Hilty instead of the intolerable Uma Thurman.

Posted by Zarkana2 2013-02-08 10:35:05

The Bombshell album is one of my favorite musical theater albums. Amazing music and vocals!

Posted by mb87 2013-02-11 15:35:49

Anyone know of the cheapest place to get the album digitally? I had preordered Les Mis soundtrack off itunes for 16.00, and then the day it was released amazon mp3 sold it for 5.00

Anyone know deals like that?

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-11 17:14:23

The best deal, in my opinion, digital or not, is the 2-disc special deluxe (limited) edition from Target... it's $13.99. You've got the booklet (with BOMBSHELL synopsis and liner notes), the CD of the show and a second disc with an interview with Marc & Scott, and three unreleased tracks.

That's what I'm getting tomorrow.

Posted by Wicked Fanatic 2013-02-11 18:31:04

^And so am I. Can't wait to hear Christine Ebersole sing "Second Hand White Baby Grand"; know it will be devine!

I second Zarkana2's thoughts:
"The Bombshell album is one of my favorite musical theater albums. Amazing music and vocals!"

I'm particularly interested in seeing Leslie Odom's song,"(Let's Start) Tomorrow Night with Christian Borle, Wesley Taylor and Savannah Wise when it airs.

After listening to the AOL music feed repeatedly my favorite new song is "Hang The Moon" with Bernadette Peters and Megan Hilty.

Posted by beensince1987 2013-02-11 18:49:29

Is this called "Cast Recording" or "Soundtrack"? I personally think it is a "Soundtrack" since there is no show called "BOMBSHELL" (yet). Also the song with Grace Adler is the weakest one on the whole album. (But since there is no "Album" anymore...)

Christian and Debra are gonna be in BOMBSHELL on the show this season? I know who's directing it but...

Posted by jonartdesigns 2013-02-11 23:33:53

I wish they actually re-recorded the previously released songs so that Marc Kudisch could do "Don't say yes..." and Let Me Be Your Star wasn't the audition duet version.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-11 23:58:34

Woha there is a special edition version at Target??? How did I not know about this.

Posted by Amalia Balash 2013-02-12 04:17:55

I hadn't heard about a Target version either. What are the three unreleased tracks?

Posted by GottaHaveAGimmick 2013-02-12 08:54:38

The Target store bonus CD includes an interview w/Shaiman and Wittman and the following songs:

Smash-Jane Krakowski
Never Give all the Heart-Megan Hilty
Second Hand White Baby Grand-Christine Ebersole

Guess I know where I will be during lunch.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-12 11:04:48

Just got my copy; the booklet includes a plot synopsis of BOMBSHELL (including how these songs fit in context with the show) a few photos from the show and the complete lyrics. About to listen to the demos of SMASH and SECOND HAND...

Posted by Amalia Balash 2013-02-12 11:51:01

Well, that gets Target my purchase over Amazon! Looking forward to the songs and the plot synopsis!

Posted by mb87 2013-02-12 12:12:41

Can someone please post the plot synopsis with the context of each song?

i'd be forever grateful until I can buy the cd on payday.

Posted by phan24 2013-02-12 12:50:17

Amazing album! stayed up till 2am listening to all of it. My favorite surprise was listening to Bernadette Peters in "At Your Feet" (Which is the first song of the show, but on iTunes it comes second to allow Let Me Be Your Star to be first)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-12 14:18:01

According to the plot synopsis, At Your Feet IS after Let Me Be Your Star.

Posted by Nickhutson 2013-02-12 15:31:01

I guess in the structure of the piece, Let me Be Your Star appears the opener (albeit, an odd one) and then we go back in time to when she was a child.

Posted by Wicked Fanatic 2013-02-12 20:45:00

Per mb87 request here is the synopsis for [i]Bombshell[/i]:

ACT 1
Before she was Marilyn Monroe, she was Norma Jeane. At the top of the show, her first marriage has just ended due to her all consuming drive to be a movie star ("LET ME BE YOUR STAR"--Norma Jeane). As the number finishes, we flash back to the 10-year-old Norma Jeane, who is being dropped off at Grauman's Chinese Theatre by her single mother, Gladys Baker, a mentally-unstable film cutter who uses the courtyard filled with movie stars' foot and hand prints to babysit for her daughter ("AT YOUR FEET"--Gladys, young Norma Jeane & Ensemble).

Flash forward to the adult Norma Jean, who is now an actress often confronted with the casting couch ("SMASH"--Norma Jeane & Starlets). But Norma Jeane pays her bills by modeling. At one photo shoot, she spies a book of Yeats' poetry on the shelf and surprises the photographer with her knoewledge of the poet's work as she sings of her history with men ("NEVER GIVE ALL THE HEART"--Marilyn). But even as she quotes Yeats, the song ends with her naked, in the iconic calendar pose.

Norma Jean changes her name to Marilyn Monroe. A smart agent gets Marilyn a screen test for 20th Century Fox ("THE 20th CENTURY FOX MAMBO"--Marilyn & Film Crew). The screen test does the trick, and Marilyn becomes a star. Famed Yankee slugger Joe DiMaggio sees her picture in a magazine and asks her out. Marilyn goes straight to the ball field for some due diligence ("THE NATIONAL PASTIME"--Marilyn & Ball Players). Marilyn & Joe have their date and it lasts well past dawn ("HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT"--Marilyn & Joe). The two quickly fall in love, and marry. While honeymooning in Japan, Marilyn is asked to perform for the troops in Korea. Joe sees firsthand how men react to her and how she loves it. ("I NEVER MET A WOLF WHO DIDN"T LOVE TO HOWL"--Marilyn & Soldiers). When they arrive back in America, Joe does his best to domesticate her with the promise of a simpler life ("MR. & MRS. SMITH"--Marilyn & Joe).

Testing out the power of her stardom, Marilyn starts showing up late and refusing roles. Daryl F. Zanuck reacts with anger ("DON'T SAY YES UNTIL I FINISH TALKING"--Daryl F. Zanuck & Yes Men). On location of the streets of New York City, Marilyn shoots the famous skirt blowing up scene for Billy Wilder's "The Seven Year Itch", and the public display enrages Joe, who leaves her ("ON LEXINGTON & 52nd STREET"--Joe). Back in Hollywood on her next film, the divorce from Joe, becomes official, and as the film wraps, Marilyn resolves to keep going with the only family she knows, the film crew ("CUT, PRINT, MOVING ON"--Marilyn). They smile at her attempt at camaraderie, but long fed up with her on-set behavior, they throw all her wrap presents away, which she discovers as the curtain falls on Act One.

ACT 2
Making one picture after another, Marilyn becomes dissatisfied with the roles she is being offered, "retires" from pictures and flies off to New York City, where she is met by a phalanx of reporters and fans at Idyllwild Airport ("PUBLIC RELATIONS"--Marilyn & Ensemble). More determined than ever to become a great actress, Marilyn begins to study with Lee & Paula Strasberg at the The Actor's Studie ("DIG DEEP"--Lee Strasberg, Marilyn & Students). Huddled around a piano at a party in New York, Marilyn meets esteemed playwright Arthur Miller. She tells him of how her often-institutionalized mother bought a piano once on an infrequent visit home, which is Norma Jeane's only memory of a happy moment between her and her mother, and that after searching for years, she found the actual piano, bought it, and now takes it with her wherever she lives ("SECOND HAND WHITE BABY GRAND"-Marilyn). Arthur is deeply touched, they fall in love and marry.

With newfound conficence in her acting skills, Marilyn goes to England to film "The Prince & The Showgirl" opposite Laurence Olivier. Unfortunately, Olivier treats her like a "no talent" and she admits to the apprentice hired to look after her that she wonders if the auditioning and always having to prove herself will ever stop ("THEY JUST KEEP MOVING THE LINE"--Marilyn). With the box office failure of "The Prince and the Showgirl" Marilyn begrudgingly heads back to Hollywood to film "Some Like It Hot", but is so unhappy about still having to play the dumb blonde that she begins spiraling down, keeping the crew waiting more than ever, as she drinks and takes pills ("LET"S BE BAD"--Marilyn & Ensemble). Soon, Arthur Miller, watching her even worse behavior as she films his screenplay, "The Misfits", realizes he can't help her or even stay with her ("THE RIGHT REGRETS"--Arthur Miller).

On her own back in Hollywood, Marilyn attends a fundraiser for JFK in Palm Springs, where Nat King Cole entertains, rallying the super glamorous guests ("(LET'S START) TOMORROW TONIGHT"--Nat King Cole). At the fundraiser, Marilyn meets JFK, sparks fly, and they begin to sneak off together whenever he can manage to get away. But it is a degrading and doomed relationship ("OUR LITTLE SECRET"--JFK & Marilyn).

Fired from her latest film, used up by the Kennedys and deeply under the influence of pills and booze, Marilyn fantasizes about visiting her mother at the sanitarium, where--in the dream--Gladys says all the things to Marilyn that she always wanted to hear ("HANG THE MOON"--Gladys & Marilyn). But when she awakens to find herself alone, Marilyn calls one friend after another as the drugs and alcohol have a final, lethal effect on her. Marilyn's spirit looks back on what she has done with her life, and how she hopes to be remembered ("DON"T FORGET ME"--Marilyn).

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-12 20:52:18

Who is singing with her in the extended intro? Hilty as Monroe?

Posted by Wicked Fanatic 2013-02-12 21:25:51

^Hilty and McPhee are listed as the singers.

Just listened to the bonus CD and the interview with Shaiman and Wittman is excellent as they discuss how they created the songs for season 2. Shaiman even sings in each of the composition.

The demos are all good:
Smash with Jane Krakowski who if they needed a star to play the role she'd fit.
Never Give All the Heart is the complete version from the pilot sung by Megan Hilty and she blows McPhee out of the water.
Second Hand White Baby Grand with Christine Ebersole is good but Hilty's version is perfection and just can't be improved on for me.

Anyone who's planning to buy this should buy it at Target $13.99 just for the bonus CD; so happy I did.

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-12 21:36:48

It is only 9.99 on Targets website right now.

Posted by Wicked Fanatic 2013-02-12 21:42:31

There are two versions available at Target--$9.99 is the one with only the soundtrack. The 2 cd limited edition is $13.99 and may not be available online.

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-12 21:44:02

Regarding the cast recording versus soundtrack: it's the cast recording of a fictional show, released as an alternative soundtrack to a television show partially about that show...

It's a concept recording. If the praise for this score is as big outside the board as it is here, Shaiman and Wittman, barring any legal problems, would be silly not to consider the eventual possibility of an actual production, as was the original plan, back when Smash was expected to be such a huge hit that "Smash," rather than Shaiman, Wittman and Monroe, would be the selling points for the show.

I personally think it's Shaiman's best score so far.

Posted by Marlothom 2013-02-12 21:46:16

Ugh! I pre-ordered on Amazon, but did not see it was an actual CD, and not an MP3, so have to wait for it get delivered!

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-12 23:20:17

I was going to say, now that we have a plot synopsis do we think this could actually work on Broadway? Or maybe they could come up with a script and have it available for regional theatres? As a dancer/singer I'd love to work with it.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-12 23:27:30

Wow... That plot synopsis is awesome. The structure and storytelling are genius. I could definitely see this working in a real production after reading the synopsis and listening to the music.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-12 23:27:30

Wow... That plot synopsis is awesome. The structure and storytelling are genius. I could definitely see this working in a real production after reading the synopsis and listening to the music.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2013-02-12 23:35:15

Does anyone know if we will see Arthur Miller in Bombshell sometime this season on SMASH? Or are we only hearing "Right Regrets" being sung by Julia & Tom?

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-12 23:43:49

No idea... we "kinda" saw him during LET'S BE BAD last season... wondering about Laurence Olivier, too...

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-12 23:52:35

Not sure about anyone else but "Hang The Moon" brought tears to my eyes. I'm not sure if it was the song itself, imagining the staging or Bernadette and Megan singing together but it was gorgeous and moving.

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-12 23:59:15

"Hang the Moon" is my new favorite song. I just can't get over over it, also the fact that it is her imagining everything she always wanted her mother to say to her while she is dying.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-13 00:01:28

If this show ever went to Broadway I hope it's done well. I want to care for Marilyn, be angered by her spiral downward, and want to jump on the stage and hold her as she passes.

Posted by winston89 2013-02-13 00:30:06

I think that it's Shaiman and Wittmans best score yet.

And, the only way I can see this heading to Broadway without there being any legal issues is if NBC/Universal signs on to produce this. But, do realize that it's not like Universal has never produced a Broadway show before. So, it could, in theory happen.

Posted by mb87 2013-02-13 02:52:09

Wicked Fanatic - Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have searched ALL day trying to find the plot.

very appreciated!!

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2013-02-13 06:49:40

Shaiman and Wittman are signing at the NBCUniversal Store at 30 Rock this afternoon at 5:30 pm. FYI for the locals!

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-13 09:02:14

Is Universal not one of the producers of WICKED? Or do they just own the film rights?

Posted by jetts7 2013-02-13 09:36:17

If this show actually came to broadway, I would be there front row on opening night!

Posted by beensince1987 2013-02-13 10:27:11

Who would be the best fit to write the book for this tho. Harvey maybe?

Posted by DrJekyll 2013-02-13 10:35:02

If it did get produced on Broadway, no actress could sing the role 8 shows a week. Which songs would get cut?

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-13 10:56:12

I don't know about that- Bombshell is a vocal bombshell, to be sure, but it's far from the most vocally demanding show in the world. Also keep in mind that the concept recording stars two different Marilyns with two very different vocal styles and ranges. The keys and such would be standardized for one.

Posted by Rumpelstiltskin 2013-02-13 11:16:29

There is always the possibility that the show would feature two different actresses playing Norma Jean and Marilyn. It's a concept many of us predicted for Smash as a way to resolve the Ivy vs. Karen conflict, but I think it would work well in the context of the musical and provide interesting opportunities for the each character (or different sides of the same character) to interact with the other.

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2013-02-13 13:35:51

@jacob, Yes, Universal is one of the producers of Wicked (Billy Elliott, too)

Posted by TFMH18 2013-02-13 13:56:34

Megan Hilty is gonna be there too! WEEEEE!!!

Posted by The Pud 2013-02-13 14:03:48

Not from Smash but a great shttp://www.playbill.com/news/article/174973-AUDIO-EXCLUSIVE-Jeremy-Jordan-Sings-No-Turning-Back-Now-From-Upcoming-Drew-Gasparini-Albumong, check it out

Posted by SporkGoddess 2013-02-13 18:09:36

The synopsis does sound really good. Is this after Julia fixes it then?

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-13 21:47:25

I think so because there is equal focus on Arthur Miller as there is on Joe Dimaggio.

Also has anyone heard the bonus tracks, Ebersole gives a great performance even though Hilty's is definitive for me on "Secondhand White Baby Grand".

Posted by winston89 2013-02-13 23:12:31

If this were a show, I am sure that they would have one actress doing the role for all eight performances. After all, it wouldn't be the first show where an alternate should be used but isn't (Wicked, I'm looking at you.)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-14 18:34:29

REVIEW: All Music Guide - Heather Phares

NBC's musical-within-a musical TV series Smash kicked off its second season by releasing the original cast recording of Bombshell, the Marilyn Monroe-inspired production the show's characters struggled to get off the ground in the first season. That was a smart move, since the Bombshell songs that were included on the season one soundtrack were among the most vibrant, capturing the passion that fuels staging a Broadway show. Bombshell plays like a true original cast recording, tracing the show's plot in its liner notes and separating its songs into acts. While the competition between Karen (Katharine McPhee) and Ivy (Megan Hilty) over who would be Bombshell's leading lady was one of the main plot points of season one, the cast recording features both wannabe Marilyns, allowing each performer to play to her strengths, whether they're singing together, as on "Let Me Be Your Star," or separately. While both actresses sing ballads and rousing songs, McPhee's more delicate voice works especially well on vulnerable numbers like "Never Give All the Heart," and Hilty's playful Monroe impersonation sizzles on "The National Pastime" and "I Never Met a Wolf Who Didn't Love to Howl." As with the tracks that premiered on the season one soundtrack, Bombshell was written by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman, who bring the same wit to the rest of these songs. The slick, brassy "Smash!," "Public Relations," and "Dig Deep" examine the star system and publicity machine that Marilyn used (and was sometimes abused by) with clever lyrics, while "Don't Forget Me" is exactly the kind of showy finale expected from this kind of old-school musical. Elsewhere, Bombshell spotlights Smash's on-the-mark casting: Bernadette Peters gives the project more Broadway credibility with her turns as Marilyn's mother on the bubbly '30s pastiche "At Your Feet" and the unabashedly sentimental "Hang the Moon." Tony Award-winner Christian Borle delivers a show-stopping performance as a motor-mouthed Daryl Zanuck on "Don't Say Yes Until I Finish Talking," and Leslie Odom, Jr. embodies Nat King Cole on "Let's Start Tomorrow Tonight." Even if Bombshell isn't a real Broadway musical, it hits all the notes a production like this should, and showcases the most appealing parts of Smash in the process.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2013-02-15 00:19:05

I finally just downloaded and listened to it. It was a good listen but I still don't like "Don't Forget Me." It just doesn't fit the rest of the show and sounds too much like they're trying to make a sad ending not be a downer to the audience, IMO.

I'm glad that they finally focused on JFK and Arthur Miller. Wish the entire recording had Megan Hilty instead Megan Hilty and Kat McPhee.

Posted by TFMH18 2013-02-15 15:57:41

^Agreed! I love "Public Relations" but all I can think about is how much better it would be if Megan was singing it

Posted by spiderdj82 2013-02-15 16:52:01

"Don't Forget Me" is one of my favorites in the Cast Recording/Soundtrack/Whatever. I remember when the episode came on and I had tears while watching that last scene. "Public Relations" is probably my favorite of the new batch.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-16 10:52:46

NBC has created an online digital booklet for the album. It's every page (but the back cover) of the actual booklet... http://tackk.com/bombshell

Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 14:08:03

I grabbed the OCR as a digital download last night, and have to say that it's excellent. The only 'downside' for me is that they didn't re-record The Right Regrets so that it fit the context of the plot. I can understand the need to have originally written the songs for the musical so that they both tracked the life of Marilyn and mirrored the Smash characters' journeys, but it would've been nice to see them include both the Tom/Julia 'behind-the-scenes' version of the song AND an in-context version of the song sung by someone playing the role of Arthur Miller (even if it was just Christian Borle himself pulling double-duty) for the OCR.

Regarding the reality of bringing this to the stage and the Marilyn-heavy focus, I have to disagree with the composers' assertion that actually performing the role of Marilyn would be a killer challenge.

Jekyll and Hyde has a similar single-character-centric libretto, with 16 of its 34 numbers featuring either Jekyll or Hyde either in solo or as part of an ensemble, and I've never heard of anyone having problems with that show performance-wise.

It looks as if Don't Forget Me seems to be the least-liked song in the libretto, but I really like it and actually think it makes for the perfect ending number. Bombshell is definitely one of those shows in the same vein as the aforementioned Jekyll and Hyde and Sweeney Todd where things don't have a happy ending, but it totally works for the subject matter.

Besides Don't Forget Me, my personal favorite songs are Second Hand White Baby Grand, Our Little Secret, and Hang the Moon.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2013-02-16 14:30:49

I dunno, maybe it's not the idea of "Don't Forget Me" so much as the execution of it. The lyrics, for instance. That "If you see someone's hurt and in need of a hand" line strikes me as so trite and general. It could apply to anyone, not just Marilyn Monroe. And the melody is just so... I dunno, I wish I could express what I dislike about it.

Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 14:46:17

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion; I just think that, based on the context of the song as outlined in the official synopsis, it's a great way to end the show because of the fact that Marilyn's life ended way too soon in such tragic fashion.

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-16 15:06:10

I like the sort of generality of that last lyric- it's not referring to Marilyn Monroe, bipolar sex symbol of a generation, but Norma Jean, a deeply ordinary, unspectacular woman who was routinely ignored, abused and manipulated. No one can be Marilyn Monroe, but everyone is Norma Jean.

Posted by Wishing Only Wounds 2013-02-16 15:38:34

I love "Don't Forget Me" as the closing... if the show does come to Broadway, it could be a painfully beautiful ending, with it more being the demise of Marilyn. Every time I listen to it, I just think of Marilyn saying "please don't make me a joke." It could be a very solemn ending.

Posted by It's a fine life! 2013-02-16 15:43:52

I think Uma Thurman sounding painful was part of the plot, no?

Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 16:08:30

With the songs in their proper context independent of Smash the TV series, who do you guys like more out of McPhee and Hilty? Hilty has the stronger vocals and range, but I think McPhee has a more innocent quality to her singing that fits the material better.

If they were actually to bring the show to the stage, I'd keep both Hilty and McPhee as the leads and alternate them every other night.

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-16 16:42:15

If this got staged as a stand-alone show, I would love to see someone other than McPhee or Hilty in the lead. I like both of them, but I feel like it would be nothing but "the Smash musical."

Also, can we get Norbert Leo Butz in the apparent dual role of Zanuck/Arthur Miller?

Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 17:04:03

^ Hmm. I can see how some might dismiss the show in that way if it did end up being staged, but I'm one of those people who wouldn't mind it in the least.

While we're on the subject of 'dream casting' a hypothetical stage adaptation of the show, here's who I'd like to see most in each role:
Norma Jeanne/Marilyn Monroe- Samantha Barks (provided I couldn't have one or both of McPhee and Hilty)
Gladys Baker- Bernadette Peters
Joe DiMaggio- Neal Patrick Harris
Darryl Zanuck/Arthur Miller- Christian Borle
Lee Strasberg- Adam Pascal
Nat King Cole- Taye Diggs
JFK- James Marsters

Posted by It's a fine life! 2013-02-16 18:22:07

All in all I just think the whole concept around the recording is neat.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-02-16 18:25:53

I picked up the Deluxe CD from target today! I love it!

Posted by It's a fine life! 2013-02-16 18:29:10

I'm poor. Had to find it cheap online. What does the deluxe offer?

Posted by DEClarke 2013-02-16 18:33:55

It's 2 Discs. 1st Disc is standard edition stuff.

2nd Disc:
01. An Interview With The Songwriters
02. SMASH! (Demo) sung by Jane Krakowski
03. Never Give All The Heart (From Pilot) sung by Megan Hilty
04. Second Hand White Baby Grand (Demo) sung by Christine Ebersole

Joltin' Joe
Posted by macnyc 2013-02-16 19:02:19

We're not quite there yet.

But I think Will Chase could play Neil Patrick Harris. Or vice versa.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by darquegk 2013-02-16 19:48:44

I love your fantasy cast, but I suspect that in the realities of staging, either JFK will double DiMaggio or Strassberg, or will be little more than an ensemble role one-scene wonder. According to the libretto summary we had on the last page, JFK doesn't enter the story until the second half of Act 2.

The idea of doubling Miller and Zanuck, besides being essentially to highlight the abilities of Borle on the show, is an interesting parallel: the most powerful and dismissive man in Marilyn's life, who made her and could just as easily throw her away, with her smallest, humblest and most unexpected love interest.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 20:15:46

I don't see why that would matter (JFK and Strasberg entering the story late). In Jekyll and Hyde, the character of Simon Stroud is individually cast despite, IIRC, only appearing a couple of times and singing once only briefly. I hadn't considered doubling up the DiMaggio and JFK roles, but I like the idea. You'd probably have to cast a little bit older, though, in order to balance things out.

The only reason I doubled up the Zanuck and Miller roles is because I couldn't think of someone to cast in the role of Miller. According to the fictional playbook/cast list taken off of a wiki dedicated to Smash, the DiMaggio, Zanuck, Strasberg, Miller, and JFK roles are all separate within the context of the Bombshell production.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by darquegk 2013-02-16 20:34:11

What I was saying more is that if you bring him in at the very end, except in the reality of the show where all the main characters are significant to the television plot, it would probably be just an ensemble track, not something you'd bring in a featured or leading player for, save if the role is beefed up throughout or doubled with another role.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by DigificWriter 2013-02-16 20:59:48

^ You missed the point of what I was saying. Within the context of Bombshell as a production (within but independent of Smash the series), the five roles I mentioned are listed as major roles and individually cast, and if they can do that on the show' s fictional version of the Broadway/theater stage, I see no reason why they couldn't do the same if Bombshell is ever adapted to the real-world Broadway/theater stage. Double-casting the roles for a real-world production would be an artistic choice, not one of practicality or financial consideration.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by broadwayfreak4 2013-02-19 00:57:09

Has anyone found the CD at Walmart? I looked last week and mine didn't have it. Hope they have it tomorrow when I go.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by Ham3 2013-02-19 17:35:00

I think it's only at Target, not Walmart.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by broadwayfreak4 2013-02-19 23:41:29

I was referring to the standard version.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by EricMontreal22 2013-02-21 23:25:22

Probably a question with no answer, but does anyone know how to get the Target edition in Canada?? They have it online but for some reason won't ship outside the US (and Target is coming to Canada but not till this Fall). I'm super annoyed, Grrr.

Joltin' Joe
Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-21 23:49:43

I saw a few of them on eBay...

Joltin' Joe
Posted by EricMontreal22 2013-02-22 02:25:02

Didn't think of that... LOL Thanks!

Interesting to see the variety of orchestrators--I assume that was a time thing (Tunick did two songs).

Joltin' Joe
Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-03-03 21:26:32

And they're both the songs Bernadette Peters is featured on. lol.