Printer Friendly - THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD is getting a cast recording
Posted by loliveve 2012-11-27 23:52:24

SO exited for this!! I don't know if an official announcement has been made, and I don't know much about Twitter to find the actual tweet... but I saw this in the "Drood" tag on Tumblr just now:

YES!

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-11-27 23:59:41

HALLELUJAH!!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-28 01:10:06

Thank you Cheesus.

Posted by dexter3 2012-11-28 01:11:35

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Kad 2012-11-28 02:06:05

...2 disc complete recording? Eh? Eh?

Posted by Bialyhoos22 2012-11-28 02:17:13

PHENOMENAL news!!

I actually think a 2-disc recording would be stellar...it could include all the murderer's confessions - perhaps a few of the lovers exchanges as well. There's also such a wealth of worthy 'cut' material from the show, like the Crisparkle/Rosa duet 'Evensong' (which Greg previously recorded on a Lost in Boston release) as well as the Durdles song and dance routine "I Wouldn't Say No". Regardless, this is going to be a very exciting release!

Posted by dramamama611 2012-11-28 05:32:51

I'm hoping this makes me happy! I'm seeing the show on Saturday, hoping that it makes me WANT the recording. (Always great news when a recording is announced.)

Posted by tazber 2012-11-28 05:57:51

Wonderful news!

The OBCR still sounds great, but I'm delighted to have a recording with Chita.

Posted by choitoy 2012-11-28 07:33:33

I teared up upon seeing this! I don't think I can make it to NY before the run of this show ends (unless it extends past mid-June), so this is very welcome news indeed! Now if only they end up recording everything (kinda like how the LuPone Gypsy did) to make it more special than the recently re-released OBC. (Not that anything could take it's place, but this cast seems like the next best thing)

Posted by EponineAmneris 2012-11-28 07:57:42

YES!!!

Posted by broadwaypunk06 2012-11-28 19:27:43

F*** YES!!!! First thought that came to mind! Saw the show Sat and loved it. I hope they put the ballet on there!

Posted by Rodgerdodger 2012-11-28 20:37:05

Crosses fingers that PS Classics does the recording.

Posted by brettarnett 2012-11-28 21:02:13

I knew this was going to happen, literally the day after I finally give in and purchase the OBC.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-28 21:47:20

I'll be bummed if they don't record some of the different endings and a "Word From Your Chairman" type track. That's my favorite track on the OBC and no one even sings on it.

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-28 22:47:58

Maybe I'll FINALLY get to hear Andy Karl's confession.

Posted by bwayfan7000 2012-11-28 23:14:04

Here's hoping they're all on this album. And PalJoey, Karl's confession is pretty terrific. I think he's only done it once so far, though, unfortunately.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-11-28 23:19:00

I wanna hear all of the lover combinations, too, if it were possible!! lol.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-29 15:05:14

It's being released on January 29th and is confirmed to be two discs! It's going to feature all 8 confessions, the opium den ballet, and a track from Act One "not previously recorded" ("A British Subject"?). No word about lover's duets.

Posted by Phillytheatreguy10 2012-11-29 15:08:59

Great News! Kudos to the company! Saw it last Sat. and had a blast! They are a supremely talented cast, and they look like they are also having a ball! Now let's get it extended too!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-11-29 15:10:37

A friend in the show told me they're going into the studio on the 10th! And yes, all the murderer's confessions will be recorded! VERY exciting! Jessie Mueller and Betsy Wolfe's brilliant confessions should be preserved, and I would love to hear the ones that haven't gotten to be played onstage much, especially Andy Karl's!

Posted by MCfan2 2012-11-29 15:19:28

I had a feeling they would, but it's wonderful to hear it confirmed!

Posted by tdl83 2012-11-29 16:26:42

Sorry to hear DRG is doing this. Their recordings are awful. Badly produced and engineered...a missed opportunity.

Posted by loliveve 2012-11-29 16:36:12

Horray for a two-disc release! Will be great to hear all the confessions!

Posted by Kad 2012-11-29 16:39:36

I am surprised it's not being done by Ghostlight or PS Classics, I will say. I'd consider DRG a second or third-tier label.

Posted by tdl83 2012-11-29 16:46:24

Agreed re the above poster.....DRG is "LAST TIER" on all fronts...their reissues are awful as well "cheap" It will not be recorded or mixed well.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-29 16:57:18

Bummer about DRG. I was really hoping for PS Classics.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-29 18:16:02

This totally made my month!!!! I wonder if they'll be recording each "Out On A Limerick" as well? That would be the ultimate recording!!!!

Posted by Bialyhoos22 2012-11-29 20:26:07

If there's one solace in DRG getting the album, it's that Rupert Holmes will undoubtedly have a very heavy hand in the production of it. Given his extensive (and acclaimed) record producing background, I'm hoping he will steer this new recording clear of the typical pitfalls that come with a DRG release.

Posted by Boredathome 2012-12-02 04:31:15

Is it really going to be two Cds? I hope they do recording everything they can, maybe not all the lovers, but at least a few. And Durdles confession would be a nice addition as well.

I've got a few DRG recordings and while I agree they aren't on part with some of the PS Classics recordings (Doesn't anyone else hate the cardboard sleeves that are open on both ends as much as I do?) I've never through DRG was subpar

Posted by chewy5000 2012-12-02 05:50:51

Oh, definitely. PS classics should take a leaf out of Nonesuch's book, when it comes to packaging. The revival recording of Sunday is the worst, it just falls apart when you open it.

Posted by Mildred Plotka 2012-12-02 14:43:47

What is the problem with DRG? Besides the sometimes skimpy packaging, I've never had an issue with any of their recordings. Adore the Encores!, Forbidden Broadway, and Barbara Cook discs from them.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-04 13:21:50

Anyone know what the story is with the lovers and which pair will be recorded? I've "seen" and "heard" a few different pairings, it seems like something with Rosa Bud and Neville or Puffer and Crissparkle would make the most "sense", and obviously recording all possibly pairings when the songs are not nearly as different as the different confessions is silly, but who knows.

BTW: If anyone hasn't "seen" Rosa's confession, you really should, it's fabulous.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-04 16:31:11

I've been lucky enough to see Betsy Wolfe perform her confession 3 times, and she is not only phenomenal -- but she manages to always find new nuances in the number that never makes it "stale". She definitely is fantastic. However, I need to see Jessie Mueller's confession! I hear she is phenomenal as well.

As for the lovers' pairings, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea about how they'd record them. It's too many possibilities!

I do hope they record each "Out On A Limerick". Some of the lyrics given to some of the other characters besides Bazzard, are hilarious! I would love to see Rosa as Datchery one day!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-04 16:36:04

TheBalladeer, I saw Jessie's confession live the first time I saw the show and she was absolutely brilliant. Hilarious and beautifully sung. The only other time I saw the show, I saw her as Datchery and her "Out On a Limerick" was really funny as well. I have a feeling on the CD we will be getting only Bazzard's version but I hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-04 16:39:31

If anything, I hope they record Jessie's too...I think she's been Datchery the most anyway...apparently people like her a lot!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-12-04 18:24:28

If it were up to me, and I had two discs of space I'd just record the entire fricken show and all the possible endings and whatever doesn't fit would be bonus itunes tracks. Problem solved.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-04 18:35:16

YES, CATSNYrevival... YES!!! Thank you!! lol.

Posted by eperkins 2012-12-06 12:37:48

Roundabout: "We are thrilled to announce that DRG Records will release a new 2012 Broadway cast recording. The two-disc set will feature a host of additional tracks and eight tracks featuring the confession of each murderer! Read more on the Roundabout Blog."

Also: "The two-disc set will also include a new Act Two opening number, additional ballet music from Puffer’s opium den, an additional Act One track not previously recorded and eight tracks featuring the confession of each murderer!"

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 13:43:38

I just simply cannot wait for this, I wanted the digital release would be sooner than the 29th, but one can always hold out hope.

It is only being recorded Monday though, I suppose we should give them some time to make it sound fancy

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-09 23:44:23

Recording is tomorrow! Anyone know if the Roundabout Facebook/Twitter or any other site will have "live" updates?

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-09 23:53:29

Heard they'll be burning the midnight oil to finish this up one day. Can't wait to hear the results!

Posted by Ed_Mottershead 2012-12-10 10:38:26

I was at Saturday matinee and there was a talk session after the show. One of the cast members advised that there were 329 possible combinations for the lovers/murderers/etc. Will Chase was particurlarly impressive, both as Jasper and at the talk session.

Posted by Playbilly 2012-12-10 11:38:48

I hope there is some dialogue introductions.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-10 11:40:51

I was told as of a few days ago that a final decision re: Out on a Limerick and Perfect Strangers (Reprise) had yet to be made.

I'm gonna venture that Bazzard's version of "Out on a Limerick" will be recorded, but absolutely no clue re: the lovers.

Posted by loliveve 2012-12-10 12:59:36

I think that they should look at who has been voted Datchery and lovers the most for this run, and record (at least) the top three, if not more :)

(Transalation: I really would like Helena's version of "Out on a Limerick" to be recorded and several pairs of the lovers, too!)

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-10 13:04:01

Who are the most popular pairings of lovers? I know Puffer/Deputy happens fairly often, but doesn't Helena/Neville happen a fair bit as well? Can they record that? I know they won't, but...

Posted by JMPlayer6 2012-12-10 14:41:12

I saw this on Saturday 12/8/12, matinee show. There was a talkback after the show. The cast recording was mentioned. It was said that there were 326 different ending combinations (I have read several different numbers before, but this was what was said) .... and that every one of these endings would by on the cast recording.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-10 14:42:53

JMPlayer, that's so exciting! I just asked a friend who is at the session today, and she confirmed that the plan is to record all of the possible endings, though she wasn't sure if that meant they would all make it onto the CD or not. It sounds like they will, if you're right!

Posted by JMPlayer6 2012-12-10 14:47:12

Well, I don't know for sure. But when this was said, I did a double take. I don't see how they can put al those endings onto a CD set (two discs or less). My gut said to me that, yes, they will record them all, but not every one of them will make it onto the physical disc(s). We will see. No date was mentioned, by the way.

Posted by loliveve 2012-12-10 14:47:49

^ That would be AWESOME! I don't see how it's possible, but it would be so amazing.

I'm not sure what the three most popular lovers are, but I know someone mentioned that the cast has been keeping track, and there is that thread on here doing the same, so I just thought that would be one way to determine which pairs to record. They could then say something about how the audience voted these as the favorites, up until the recording.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-10 15:31:51

Wouldn't everything present on the OBCR, as well as the new material, fit onto one disc for the revival? Then the lovers could be on the second disc? Just wondering...

Posted by darquegk 2012-12-10 15:35:21

I fear we may have the Gypsy/Once situation, where you can get the complete show, but you have to get different releases for different bonus tracks.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-10 15:36:43

Probably physical release and then digital to obtain every track... And of course the digital version's exclusive tracks will be "Album Only." Lol.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-10 15:42:21

Glancing over the result chart, Puffer/Deputy, Neville/Helena, Rosa/Durdles seem to be pretty popular pairings. What's the likelihood they'd record Neville and Helena though? I'd love to hear it on a recording but I could see why they might not want to.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-22 00:52:51

More info about the lovers/Datcherys/etc.

http://playbill.com/news/article/173418-PLAYBILL-BRIEF-ENCOUNTER-Jessie-Mueller-Explains-the-Backstage-Twists-of-The-Mystery-of-Edwin-Drood

Can you tell me about the additional tracks for this cast recording that capture the show's possible outcomes?

JM: What they're planning, I believe, is a two-disc set for the new revival recording. There will be all the murderer confessions — the possible seven murderers [played by Mueller, Gregg Edelman, Peter Benson, Chita Rivera, Andy Karl, Betsy Wolfe, Robert Creighton] including Jasper's [played by Will Chase] confession — so that will be eight [tracks] total. And then I think you're getting two or three [detective] Datcherys and like two pairs of lovers.

The could always change, but at least it gives an idea...

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-22 08:04:49

Interesting. I assume she and Peter Benson are the obvious choices to record "Out on a Limerick", perhaps they will record Rosa's as well?

I can't imagine who they'll use as the lovers or how that will be chosen.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-22 11:07:54

I really want this now. I don't know if I can justify getting both this and the original -- but I kinda want to listen now.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-14 16:19:19

Artwork from Amazon.com

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-14 16:33:34

I love it.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-14 16:41:10

Perfect! Just can't wait to get my hands on this. Maybe it'll show up a few days early at the theatre? One can always dream.

Posted by sephyr 2013-01-14 16:41:42

I love it too, can't wait to own it :)

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-14 16:49:09

Wasn't it initially announced that January 29th was the release date for the digital version? I'm pretty sure it also said that the CD would be available at Studio 54 on the 29th, but that the actual in-store release date would be later. Amazon has the release date for the CD as the 29th, which I don't think is accurate and it also lists it as a single disc and the original announcement said it was going to be 2 discs.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-14 16:51:23

Yes, that was the original announcement, I've just noticed sometimes things appear a little ahead of schedule, though I have no idea if that will be the case here. Either way, I can't wait to be able to play this on repeat.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-14 16:54:33

The theatre will probably have it earlier than the street date. But who knows... I don't think it's the same for every show/recording.

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-14 17:12:03

Does anyone know when it will be released? I saw on the PR that it said digitally on January 19th, but I yet to see it on DRG website or any other "Coming Soon" sections.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-14 17:15:18

^The BWW announcement said it would be released digitally on the 29th.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/THE-MYSTERY-OF-EDWIN-DROOD-Cast-Recording-Gets-129-Release-20121129

Posted by cmcc97 2013-01-14 21:24:03

That artwork is fantastic! Can't wait to have a recording of this show! It's the best revival we've had in years!

Posted by Deena Jones 2013-01-15 12:40:05

Its not even listed in the coming soon section on DRG's site

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-15 14:32:27

^Don't expect it to be either. DRG is terrible with that stuff.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-15 21:02:15

I wish it were on a label besides DRG, this recording deserves a bit more publicity and fanfare than they're really giving it. Is there a track listing available anywhere? I'm dying of curiosity to know what they ended up doing with the Perfect Strangers reprise and how many versions of Out on a Limerick they recorded. I heard somewhere that they were planning on doing some kind of medley/compilation situation for Perfect Strangers?

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-15 21:44:11

Photo of the inside of the CD, posted by Betsy Wolfe on twitter.

Posted by Cupid Boy2 2013-01-15 21:45:23

Gorgeous! I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-15 22:45:52

And she didn't post a track list?!? How rude.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-15 22:52:27

Hopefully we'll get it soon! @Kelly2 If it's available at the theatre next time you see it, let us know and if you can get a peek of the tracklisting! :)

Posted by gstrus2 2013-01-16 06:02:12

Going to see the show on the 20th again, if its there I'll pick it up, but it seems too early.

Posted by tazber 2013-01-16 06:52:22

Maybe not gstrus. Based on Keely's pic it seems like it's already been manufactured and ready to go.

Also dying for a song list.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-16 11:22:04

http://drgrecords.com/details.asp?pid=19883

DRG has posted an information page. Looks like they'll include a link to the back cover image; it'll either be the tracklisting or the show billing...

Also on the page, the album is noted as "Here now, for the first time, is the complete musical program on 2 compact discs!"

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-16 12:03:33

I wish someone would just post a tracklisting already!

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-16 13:11:56

Eric Sciotto just confirmed via Twitter that there will be only one version of "Perfect Strangers" (Reprise) on the cast recording.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-16 16:23:23

I will be picking up at least 2 copies of this recording! Can't wait! I am salivating at the thought!!!!!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-16 17:57:53

The DRG page is still fu*ked up. This is bull.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-17 14:11:01

Track list.

1. There You Are
2. A Man Could Go Quite Mad
3. Two Kinsmen
4. Monnfall
5. Moonfall Quartet
6. The Wages of Sin
7. Opium Den Ballet
8. Ceylon/A British Subject
9. Both Sides of the Coin
10. Perfect Strangers
11. No Good Can Come From Bad
12. Never the Luck
13. Off to the Races

1. An English Music Hall
2. Settling Up the Score
3. The Name of Love/Moonfall Duet
4. Don't Quit While You're Ahead
5. Don't Quit While You're Ahead "Encore"
6. Don't Quit While You're Ahead Voting Reprise
7. The Garden Path to Hell
8. Out on a Limerick - Bazzard
9. Out on a Limerick - Helena
10. Jasper's Confession
11. Rosa's Confession
12. Durdles' Confession
13. Helena's Confession
14. Puffer's Confession
15. Neville's Confession
16. Bazzard's Confession
17. Crisparkle's Confession
18. Perfect Strangers - Lover's Reprise
19. The Writing on the Wall

* my apologies newintown.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-17 14:13:07

So it's still not really a "full" score recording, is it?

I wonder if they'll beef up the orchestrations for the recording (or at least add enough instruments to equal the original)?

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-17 14:18:33

Not full in what regard? Surely no one expected 18 different versions of "Perfect Strangers"? (Note: I would totally be fine if they had decided to do that...)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-17 14:18:37

In the press release, it says Holmes "re-wrote" orchestrations for 19 pieces.

I'll transfer the Word from the Chairman track from the OBCR to this one. :)

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-17 14:22:38

^Hopefully it's on the voting reprise track? Or maybe there will be more tracks on the digital release? It would be a bummer if they didn't record that bit.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-17 14:34:31

"Not full in what regard? Surely no one expected 18 different versions of "Perfect Strangers"?"

Well, yes, I'd like all the versions of "Perfect Strangers" - that's the full score, right? I'd like to hear them all, even if there's a lot of repetition.

There are also only 2 versions of the Datchery song on that list above, and there are more versions of the song in the score. Why only Helena and Bazzard's (or, as written above, "Buzzard's) versions?

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-17 14:54:03

"Well, yes, I'd like all the versions of "Perfect Strangers" - that's the full score, right? I'd like to hear them all, even if there's a lot of repetition."

Okay, well, if you recorded every single possible version of Perfect Strangers and Out on a Limerick, in addition to all the confessions, that's 32 tracks of JUST endings. It's not exactly feasible, I don't think that was ever a possibility that was on the table. I'd love it if they did, but it's a lot.

The reason those two were recorded is because they are the only ones who ever get chosen.

Posted by newintown 2013-01-17 15:05:25

Oh, I understand all the arguments against it, but feel that saying "Here now, for the first time, is the complete musical program on 2 compact discs!" isn't quite true, if the entire score isn't recorded.

The version of the original I have actually has all the Datchery variations, I believe.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-17 15:13:17

Ah, I misunderstood your point then, I agree that it is misleading to call it the complete musical program in the advertising. And yes, the original recording does have all versions of the Datchery song. I don't know why they didn't record the others this time, probably just cost cutting combined with the fact that no one but Helena or Bazzard ever wins.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-17 15:19:39

They probably could've recorded the Lovers reprises, since each one is probably about a minute, I am guessing. But anything's better than nothing. The website does say the "full musical program..."

Posted by shrekster224 2013-01-17 15:30:00

If it is only one, the question is which pairing will it be?? Guessing Puffer and Deputy to showcase the Deputy a little more and of course, to highlight Chita.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-17 15:56:57

Not to sound ungrateful, but they really should have recorded the Limericks...just to hear the choices that might not always be selected. Maybe they will release them as bonus tracks somehow?

I still treasure my OBC recording with all the endings!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by gstrus2 2013-01-17 17:48:47

Playbill put up a video of the cast in the studio! :)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-17 19:12:16

Thanks, gstrus2!

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-17 23:24:39

Still not on sale at the theatre, FYI.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-17 23:35:06

Thanks, Kelly2! Maybe next week. lol. :) Very excited!

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-01-18 10:37:01

I also vaguely thought they might include "Private Investigation" as a Bonus Track since it has never been recorded either, despite being in the licensed script/score from Tams Witmark.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-18 17:41:05

Amazon still has this listed as only one cd -- has anyone ever know them to post this incorretly in other circumstance?

Posted by loliveve 2013-01-18 17:51:01

Amazon has me a bit puzzled too, but it seems that Amazon thinks it is the same recording as the OBC, because reviews on the page refer to the OBC that was re-released, not the new Broadway cast. Since the picture was posted of 2 discs and all the songs have been identified, I've decied Amazon is definitely wrong about it being 1 disc. The confusion makes me reluctant to order it from them until the info is corrected though!!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-18 19:41:06

^I agree. They don't seem to realize that it is two different releases.

Posted by tazber 2013-01-19 11:06:21

For the record (pun intended) the OBCR has 5 "Out on a Limerick"s,
7 confessions and no Perfect Stranger reprises.

If you look closely at the top of the comments section on amazon it indicated that these reviews are referring to the OBCR.

I'm sure they simply have it mis-listed as one disc. I pre-oredered from them so I'll let you know a week from Tuesday.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-19 11:14:23

Why must a week from Tuesday feel like a long way off?! lol. I pre-ordered it from Amazon, too... Barnes & Noble has it listed about the same price, but I can get 2-day free shipping on Amazon and have it the day it's released...

Anxiously awaiting samples/previews!!

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 12:02:47

Can we get a full first-listen on this like the Book of Mormon cast recording? I'm still hoping it'll pop up in the theatre sooner than the 29th...

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-19 12:14:14

As a prime member, I ordered it from Amazon as well, and will have it on the day of release. (Which I think is pretty awesome, no matter how many times I take advantage of it.)

If it turns out to ONLY be a one, I'll just send it back.

Can't wait.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-19 12:24:45

I'm sure it'll be 2 disc... we've seen Betsy Wolfe's photo and DRG has no information about a single disc... Same here about Amazon Prime!

EDIT: From Twitter...

@wolkitout
Very excited that the new Drood CD's are on sale at the theatre! I need one! @broadwayspotted

@alice_sings
All right. I am officially banning myself from listening to the Drood cast album until Monday. #obsessivenesscanbecontrolled

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 12:37:19

Are they really? Because I will go...

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-19 13:44:47

That would be awesome if they are. Someone get me one.

Posted by gstrus2 2013-01-19 13:55:24

Hopefully they are! I'll definitely grab one tomorrow!

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 13:56:50

They are indeed selling them! Took a brisk walk and picked mine up about 20 minutes ago.

Be warned, the price at the theatre is highway robbery. 35 bucks!

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-19 13:59:29

I can wait for the release. (I almost never buy cds at the theater.)

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-19 14:02:36

yikes! i don't need it that badly

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-19 14:06:53

I do! Lol. Too bad I'm nowhere near the east coast...

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-19 14:13:51

Kelly2, I'm so jealous. You don't even know.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 14:16:13

For those curious, the lovers' reprise is broken up into three different couples each sharing a few lines in the short song. The couples are Puffer and Deputy, Neville and Helena, and Rosa and Durdles.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-19 14:21:57

For less than 1/2 that price, I'll have it in my possession in a little more than a week. And I can listen to the ORIGINAL on SPotify.

And I can live vicariously through Kelly2.

HOW DOES IT SOUND????

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-19 14:25:47

I'd there any sort of "word from the chairman"-type track?

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 14:28:43

Admittedly, I haven't listened all the way through yet so these are just scattered thoughts tarnished by my shameless love for this show. The orchestrations sound different in places than what I remember hearing in the theatre? Not in a bad way, but there are definite accents in, for example "Ceylon/A British Subject", that are unfamiliar to me.

Overall it sounds wonderful so far, I always wish that the orchestra could be a bit larger and there are a few songs where I think some of the "sound effects" cheapen the quality of the track, but I have no complaints. I'll try to be more eloquent after I've actually listened to it fully.

Jacob- no. There is no track like that. I thought that would be the voting reprise of "Don't Quit While You're Ahead", but it's not.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-19 17:55:25

This is petty: I CANNOT believe they didn't include the "Ladies and gentlemen, it was at this point in our story that Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever" line at the end of the "Don't Quit While You're Ahead" reprise. Really!? Come on...

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-19 19:06:11

I figured the Lovers' reprise would be some sort of "medley" of the pairings. Glad to see Deputy and Puffer's love has been preserved! And the incestuous Landless twins!!

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-01-19 21:36:06

This is even more of a stupid question - did they ever restore the full musical interlude to "There you Are?" -- I have no idea why they trimmed that....

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-01-19 21:48:17

I can't wait for people to...um...share this! and hopefully soon!

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-20 11:39:04

Do you think they'd let you walk to the merch stand while the show is going on? Or do I have to wait till after, or at the intermission today?

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-20 11:43:04

"Do you think they'd let you walk to the merch stand while the show is going on? Or do I have to wait till after, or at the intermission today?"

I would wait until after or at intermission, personally.

Posted by mFabila 2013-01-20 11:47:45

When you went yesterday, was it before the matinee?

Posted by loliveve 2013-01-20 12:17:24

TheBalladeer: I went to the show to buy a window card while it was going on, and a merch guy came into the lobby and sold it to me. You just have to ask one of the people in the lobby, and they will gladly go get a CD and someone to take your money! What was nice for me is that it was at the point in the show where they were just beginning to vote (it's broadcast into the lobby) and they let me stay to watch, so I found out who the murderer was that night (but didn't abuse it to stay and watch any more) :)

Posted by choitoy 2013-01-20 13:46:19

How's the booklet for the CD? I'm so sad that Roundabout didn't do a souviner program, as I think a lot of the costumes and design elements are gorgeous. Are there pictures/synopsis/lyrics (though if the lyrics aren't there, I'm not going to be as worried about it, since the recent OBC release had lyrics).

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-20 13:51:32

The booklet is lovely, it contains quite a few production shots and detailed synopsis. It's very nicely laid out. But no, there are no lyrics.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-20 18:30:10

Picked this up this afternoon - it is glorious!!!!

Listening to it now, but I definitely see what Kelly2 was talking about in regards to hearing things in the orchestration that you might not have heard in the theatre. Particular examples are "A British Subject" and "A Man Could Go Quite Mad".

More later...I am still listening! LOL!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-20 18:56:14

Are these new things in the orchestrations good, bad, or just different sounding? Lol.

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-20 21:03:23

I am very tempted to buy a plan ticket to NYC (live in California) and purchase the album at the theater. I just can't wait to hear it!!

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-20 21:25:49

@jacobsnchez:

The "additions" are not bad, just different. I am pretty sure they were always in the orchestration, but one would not hear all the instruments as a whole in the theatre, I suspect because they are split between house left and house right. So there is the possibility of missing certain instruments depending on where you have sat in the theatre.

Anyway, highlights include:

- There You Are - sounds great
- Moonfall - beautifully sung, interesting little nuances in orchestration I have never heard in the theatre
- Moonfall Quartet - gorgeous!
- Ceylon/A British Subject - sounded great, a little slower that what is usually heard at the theatre, I think
- The Name of Love/Moonfall - perfection!!!
- Out On A Limerick: Helena - loved it, loved the vocals, and hearing the orchestra full and pulsating under certain musical phrases.
- Murderer Confessions - All of them are fantastic, and the orchestra sounds great on each one. Special mention to Rosa's, Helena's, and Durdles' which I especially enjoyed.

I'm a dork. But I love this show and this amazing cast!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-20 21:33:59

I wouldn't say worse, just different. Some of the tempos felt odd to me too, the confessions, especially Helena's, felt really fast. Whereas, I agree, Ceylon/A British Subject and No Good Can Come From Bad felt slower. Not bad or good, just noticeable.

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2013-01-20 22:38:02

I was able to go to the theatre today to buy the cast album. It's so easy if you don't have a ticket, just ask one of the ushers/ticket-takers and someone will escort you to the merch booth, then you can buy the cd. And the cast album is excellent. I'm already addicted!! This show (and cast) is amazing!! One of my newest Broadway obsessions!

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-20 23:17:32

I can't wait TWO weeks for the CD....I need it now....

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-21 00:36:28

I forgot to mention in my haste how AMAZING Stephanie J. Block sounds in everything she sings....Will Chase also sings the $h*t out of his songs too! What a cast...really one of the BEST in recent years!

Cheers,
TheBalladeer

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-21 00:46:24

I wish they would have recorded more dialogue. Or at least SOME dialogue.

Other than that I really like it. Like everyone has said, the cast is superb and Stephanie sounds flawless. I just wish the cast recording was as joyous and funny as the show is. Those aspects don't really come across just listening to the songs by themselves. Some dialogue might have helped.

Additionally, I'm a little confused about the length of the CDs. When you add them together it's about 72 minutes. Wouldn't that have fit on one CD? Why did they waste money pressing a second disc and needlessly spreading the content over two CDs when it would all fit on one?

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-01-21 01:29:02

Any chance someone could PM me with a link...if you know what I mean?? Please? I can't wait! lol

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-21 13:09:05

^^^ I totally agree...but I am willing to pay for it! I just want to hear what everyone is talking about!

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-01-21 13:40:23

I too am willing to pay for it, I, in fact, pre-ordered it. I would just like to hear it now without paying $45 in the theatre. I'm too excited!

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-21 14:05:32

It's $45 dollars in the theater? Damn!

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-21 14:09:51

It's $35 at the theater.

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-21 14:16:04

$35 is not bad! Worth the investment!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-21 14:18:51

If you like lots of dialogue it's not worth it. You'll be disappointed.

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-21 14:21:20

CATSNYrevival, you really are being a sourpuss about this

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-21 14:26:17

Sorry. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful for what we did get, but I can't say I'm not a little let down.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2013-01-21 14:31:19

Well CATS - I do agree in that I wish more dialogue was included. But the recording is still excellent.

I also wished they included all of the "Limericks", as I think it would have easily fit. I wonder why they decided not to do that? I can understand not needing all of the Lovers' Reprises, but the Limericks are essential to the plot, regardless of who you choose as Datchery.

I do feel that the OBC brilliantly captured the fun and joy of the show, better than the revival recording...when I listened to the OBC, what I imagined in my mind before seeing the show was pretty accurate when I finally was able to see it, and eventually perform in the show itself.

This is nothing against the cast or anyone really - just the way they decided to go with this particular cast recording.

Still, to have this wonderful cast and production preserved is well worth it, and appreciated!

Cheers,
TheBalladeer

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-21 14:35:30

Are there any samples up anywhere? Amazon, Itunes etc? I don't seem to find any!

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-21 14:45:50

Sorry, CATSNY - I just couldn't resist the pun. I completely understand your disappointment. I love the Donmar version of the PARADE cd precisely for the reason that they include so much dialogue. FYI, I believe the 2 cd decision has to do with sound quality. You probably can put that much time on one cd, but I think quality suffers as a result. I could be wrong about that.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-21 14:52:44

$35 seems pretty bad to me when you can get it for $15.53 on Amazon, and its list price probably can't be more than $18.99.

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-21 14:58:06

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that theater concessions would charge more for their fares! Ever buy a drink in a theater? It's outrageous....but if you must have it, and you must have it right now, well, there you are.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-21 14:58:26

Sorry -- when you click on MP3 it links you to the ORIGINAL. Sad.

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-21 14:59:14

True, but if you want to wait until January 29th, then its not bad...but for those who can't wait...it's a great deal!

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-21 15:05:12

HOW is that a great deal? I'm not pretending that I know how anyone wants to spend their money, but in NO way is that a great deal. It might be worth to you, certainly.

That's a lot of money for 75 minutes of music (isn't that what someone posted earlier?).

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-21 15:09:42

"HOW is that a great deal?'

It seems pretty clear what Joviedamian means, dramamama, if you look at what I bolded:

"...but for those who can't wait...it's a great deal!"

lf you can't wait for it, it's a great deal considering the alternative is not having it at all.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-21 15:23:21

^72 minutes.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-21 15:27:47

I wouldn't know what any of y'all are talking about... LOL.

Posted by Bialyhoos22 2013-01-24 15:24:32

Cast recording samples are now up at Roundabout's website!

http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/The-Mystery-of-Edwin-Drood.aspx

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-24 15:28:11

I mean, maybe it's not a great deal price-wise, but for me it was worth it to have it 10 days earlier than the official release. Maybe that makes me a little nutso but I'm fine with that.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-24 18:38:29

Eh, getting something for almost twice its price- even a little early- is not my cup of tea.

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-24 19:09:58

^ mine either..even though I really, really want it..what's 5 more days?

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-25 13:41:03

Is it me, or do the samples on the website sound thin and rushed?

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-01-28 13:04:23

Let's hope this gets a digital release tomorrow too. I asked DRG records directly today but got flippant replies.... Very disappointing!

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-29 03:02:29

So is this not a DIGITAL download? I went to AMAZON just now to download it and it only gives me the original cast recording to download! At this time the new recording is audio CD only to ship, not digital.

Posted by wickedfan11 2013-01-29 06:26:53

My CD has been shipped and should be delivered later today!

Posted by Kbradstein 2013-01-29 12:36:39

i assumed that the digital release meant it would be able to download on itunes, however it is still not up. does anyone know when it will be on itunes?

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-29 12:56:22

It is really available for digital release? Now that I come to think about it, I don't remember it saying anywhere about digital release...maybe "online" release is what they meant, as in you can order it online only and not see it in stores yet.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-29 13:32:35

^The original BWW article said digital release.

Posted by Lloyd321 2013-01-29 13:48:36

waaaahooooo!!!!!

Posted by SondheimFan5 2013-01-29 14:09:13

Anyone find the digital version to buy yet? OR, did anyone receive their copy of the cast album?

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-29 14:12:11

Yeah, checked everywhere...not digital release yet! Your just able to order it online and have it shipped to you.

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-01-29 15:34:46

Update from the ROUNDABOUT Facebook page:
"Roundabout Theatre Company We're following up with the record company and will let you know where to get the digital download asap. Thanks!"

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-01-29 17:45:23

No news of it bring available on iTunes or anywhere else at the moment. Means waiting even longer until the postman brings a hard copy.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-29 18:13:49

Rec'd mine today as promised (via Amazon) -- listening as I type: so far I like it! The packaging is really lovely.

Posted by C. C Baxter 2013-01-29 18:48:00

I bought it at the theatre last week and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I don't think the show has ever been so well sung. Helena, Bazzard and Rosa's confessions are the clear standouts but Durdles' is a little gem also (especially since he doesn't get to perform it as often as he should in the theatre). The Perfect Strangers mash-up reprise works very well for the CD. My only quibble is that I wish they had included Jim Norton's line about this being the moment when Charles Dickens laid down his pen forever at the end of the Don't Quit While You're Ahead (Encore). Otherwise, the album's a total joy and for those that can't make it to NY to see the show, really captures the boisterous fun of the evening well. Also, the ensemble sounds great, especially in Ceylon/A British Subject.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-29 21:09:15

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mystery-edwin-drood-2012-new/id598018778

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-29 21:24:08

$19.99 for digital?!?

I guess that's how they plan to pay for that second disc.

Posted by shrekster224 2013-01-29 21:36:47

Starting listening a few minutes ago and up to Ceylon/British Subject...I really like it! Thought There You are Sounded a little thin but it's gotten much better with every song. I need to get back to this show.

Posted by tazber 2013-01-30 06:33:01

I've heard disc 1 so far. Moonfall and the Moonfall Quartet have never sounded better.

There You Are does sound a bit thin, I agree.

Chita rocks Wages of Sin.

The rest of it sounds very good.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of it this evening.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-30 06:38:33

Chita rocks anything she does!

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-30 12:34:57

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Edwin-Drood-Broadway-Recording/dp/B00B83N1N6/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1359567409&sr=301-4

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-30 18:48:22

Price has been reduced to $15.99 on iTunes

Posted by tazber 2013-01-31 16:56:16

I'm reminded of what a perfect finale The Writing On The Wall is.

One of the best, imo.

And it sounds utterly fantastic on this recording.

Posted by ArtMan 2013-02-02 09:49:30

Got mine yesterday special ordered from FYE. They price matched the B & N pre-order, plus I had a 20% coupon. Total was $10.83 with tax. My complaint is with the quality control of the manufacturer. FYE always orders me two, in the advent one is damaged (per my OCD). One cd, the case was cracked and the cover ripped. The other, the front cover's ends (folds) were frayed. That was the one I had to keep. I can understand cracks in cases. It happens. I don't buy them. But to send out a cd to a distributor (FYE) with a ripped front cover is unacceptable. I know most don't care of this, but when it comes to my cds and dvds, it wrecks my OCD.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-02 11:58:53

I totally understand because I am the same way!! Lol.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-06 11:05:22

DRG Records has included a PDF document of the lyrics since they are not included in the booklet (the booklet mentions lyrics are available online; they weren't and I emailed asking)

http://drgrecords.com/details.asp?PID=19883

Also, during editing to include the document (I assume) the price messed up...

http://i49.tinypic.com/p6hs9.png

Posted by Deena Jones 2013-02-06 13:18:14

Why do you think they changed the final note of Bazzard's Never the Luck in the revival version? It really sounds odd... too sharp. The OBC has the character singing a much higher note.