Printer Friendly - Nudity on Stage

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ZoeTheGoat 2012-10-24 22:19:01

The best the worst the weird?

Burning (Off-Broadway) had the most I've seen.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-24 22:29:37

It was all very effective in THE BLUE ROOM. Most times it's just gratuitous though, and takes you out of the moment.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Dollypop 2012-10-24 22:31:06

TAKE ME OUT had a virtual Whitman's Sampler of full frontal nudity. The play had something to do about baseball as I recall....

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-24 22:38:25

I remember as a teen, reading a small piece int he Talk of the Town section of The New Yorker of the original off-Broadway staging of Love! Valour! Compassion! all based around audience reaction to how hung one of the actors was...

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Caring Soul 2012-10-24 22:45:33

Way back in the seventies (before most of the commenters here were born, I'm sure) there was a musical called "Let My People Come" by the son of the gossip columnist Earl Wilson. It was quite shocking in its day featuring all manner of simulated sex acts and nudity. Don't think it lasted very long, but it was indeed memorable for obvious reasons.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-24 22:54:20

It does have a cast album, though I admit I've only played it a few times (and the album was up for a Grammy!) and I believe it ran for around 2 years, as well as numerous regional productions, but now seems to be completely forgotten. )Oh Calcutta is still a punchline, but of course it ran longer and was something of a cultural phenomenon).

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-24 22:58:39

And I shoulda just checked Wiki to see how long Come ran:

"Let My People Come is the title of an explicit musical about sex which ran from January 8, 1974 to July 5, 1976 in New York City, at The Village Gate in Greenwich Village. It was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1974 for Best Original Cast Album. It enjoyed long runs in Philadelphia at Grendel's Lair Cabaret Theatre for 10 years and in Toronto for 8 years at the Basin Street Cabaret Theater Other companies include: Los Angeles, San Francisco, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., Boston, Seattle, Chicago, Madrid, London, Paris, Sydney, New Zealand, Maseru [Lesotho]. It became the longest running musical in Canada and in Philadelphia and did two National tours in Canada. Subtitled "A Sexual Musical". The show opened on Broadway on July 7, 1976 at the Morosco Theatre and closed on October 2, 1976 after 108 performances.

In November, 2011 the production made a comeback in Chicago at the Stage 773 Theater to good crowds and favorable reviews."

Apparently us Canadians really liked it... (Probably why I so easily came across a copy of the cast album in a used record store).

Nudity on Stage
Posted by darquegk 2012-10-24 23:23:14

There is, if i remember, some sort of grisly story about the creator of Let My People Come committing some horrid sex crimes and viciously stalking a woman, if I remember. It was a few years after the show closed, but it really sheds a darkly ironic light on the fun, free-love shenanigans of the musical.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have some sordid history?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-10-24 23:24:24

Wasn't he first male penile acting in THE CHANGING ROOM?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by FindingNamo 2012-10-24 23:49:43

Googled and found the Let My People Come stalking story. Very SVU.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-24 23:53:23

darque, that sounds oddly familiar, but a quick search didn't bring up anything. Queer Music Heritage does have a LOT of photos, including the program, here http://www.queermusicheritage.us/gm-letmy.html

And youtube seems to have most of the cast album as well as the recent Chicago production for anyone really curious...

Apparently there's a new, more interactive "Party" version (...) http://www.lmpcparty.com/lmpcparty/LMPC-PARTY%21.html

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Scripps2 2012-10-25 05:34:06

So "come" wasn't spelt with a "u" in the 70s?!

Nudity on Stage
Posted by algy 2012-10-25 07:58:05

Spymonkey's Oedi**** (which toured the UK earlier this year) had the funniest use of nudity I've seen on stage - in a gag about Sphinxes...

http://www.spymonkey.co.uk/oedi****/index.htm

I can't believe it autofiltered it! It's Oedipus-sy (without the hypen) and the same applies to the email address...

The show was possibly the funniest thing I've seen this year - and definitely the funniest greek tragedy I've ever seen!

Nudity on Stage
Posted by once a month 2012-10-25 08:02:21

I still have the record, signed by several cast members, where-as Oh! Calcutta bored the crap out of me.

Party the nudity was predominant throughout, as was Take Me Out and Love, Valor.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Quiche2 2012-10-25 08:17:26

Naked Boys Singing

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Gothampc 2012-10-25 09:29:22

Eric, it's funny how the picture of the cast album says "Now Available For The First Time By Mail". Did they send it in a brown paper wrapper so that married men could secretly listen to it in the bathroom?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by henrikegerman 2012-10-25 09:33:32

"I remember as a teen, reading a small piece int he Talk of the Town section of The New Yorker of the original off-Broadway staging of Love! Valour! Compassion! all based around audience reaction to how hung one of the actors was..."

As most will clearly recall, the member of the cast who made the biggest impression during the nude scene was Justin Kirk.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-10-25 09:51:25

Justin Kirk was definitely impressive, but I recall Randy Becker taking top (ahem) honors.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Playbilly 2012-10-25 09:54:57

BENT. When the naked Nazi strutted onto stage atthe beginning I was shocked. Wasn't necessary nudity, but it got the audience atention.

EQUUS, of course.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-25 09:55:24

Randy Becker was, indeed, the boy they were talking about about, although Kirk was very cute back then. Heck, even John B Hickey was cute back then.

I saw Let My People Come once; a pretty embarrassing experience - tacky, cheap, exploitative, puerile. But I don't think Naked Boys Singing is any better. I mean, I enjoy a good nude scene as much as anyone, but a whole evening of nakedness for the sake of nakedness alone? That's for people who haven't progressed past the 5-year-old "playing doctor" phase.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Owen22 2012-10-25 09:57:28

Now that she's the legit soprano heiress apparent of Broadway we forget Kelli O'Hara caused the only sensation of the ill advised Wildhorn musical "Dracula" by showing us her boobies.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-10-25 10:03:24

I'll always remember Jessica Tandy dropping the apple she was peeling when she saw Maxwell Caulfield lying naked on the sand.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-25 10:05:33

By the way, there is already a pretty long... I mean extensive thread on this topic.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-10-25 10:09:02

Don't know if it was true or not, but I remember hearing that Vanessa Redgrave didn't always get naked in "Orpheus Descending"; that it depended on whether or not she "got there" each night.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Ed_Mottershead 2012-10-25 10:36:40

Yeah, Randy Becker took all the honors in the endowment department. At the time LVC was running,there was some blind item in some now-discontinued rag that commented something to the effect of "What leading man in a current show is unsuccessfully pursuing a very handsome co-cast member?" Anyone want to venture a guess?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Playbilly 2012-10-25 10:37:20

Almost forgot. I went to THE GRADUATE to see Kathleen Turner naked, and all we got was a backlit Kate. PROBABLY for the best, but still.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by JoeKv99 2012-10-25 10:47:12

Was it in The Season where they talked about "The Changing Room"? The actors were fearful as each night when the nudity was about to happen they could very clearly hear a noise from the audience- a clicking noise- a noise they worried could be the cocking of guns. The staff investigated and discovered it was the sound of patrons raising their opera glasses to get a better look. The clicking noise was the sound of teh opera glasses colliding with their eye glasses.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Scripps2 2012-10-25 10:52:44

"I'll always remember Jessica Tandy dropping the apple she was peeling when she saw Maxwell Caulfield lying naked on the sand."

But can you remember the name of the play?

I saw a tour of The Changing Room back in the previous century and the rugby player who needed treatment from the physio was substantially overweight, resulting in two women behind me giggling helplessly and one of them commenting in a loud voice "He hasn't got one!"

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Jon 2012-10-25 10:52:58

Best over-50 boobie flash: Kate Burton showing her breasts to Billy Crudup in the revival of The Elephant Man. In previous productions, it was done with the actress facing upstage.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-25 10:55:58

The Tandy/Caulfield play was Salonika. Amanda Plummer was also in it, I recall.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-10-25 11:06:52

Ah, I don't remember her. I'm pretty sure Elizabeth Wilson was in it.

Honestly, I don't remember much beyond that opening scene.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-25 11:10:04

I could be wrong about Plummer. It was long ago, and not much of a play.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by philly03 2012-10-25 11:15:54

" Now that she's the legit soprano heiress apparent of Broadway we forget Kelli O'Hara caused the only sensation of the ill advised Wildhorn musical "Dracula" by showing us her boobies."

O'Hara was practically stripped of the rob and was (unnecessarily) full on naked. Melissa Errico also had completely unnecessary nudity in that production, though less of it.

Who could forget the ridiculousness of "PG matinees" as they called them without the nudity.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-10-25 11:31:43

Philly03 (and the previous poster who mentioned Kelli's "boobies"): fwiw, Kelli was walking upstage when her nightgown "disappeared" in a pretty amazing effect. The lighting was dim, and Dracula covered her quickly with his cape. Her back was to the audience throughout. Anyone seeing her breasts had to have been on the extreme sides of the stage. As nudity goes, it was fairly tasteful, if arguably gratuitous. She was, btw, wearing a g-string.

Ms Errico had a scene in which she unlaced her shirt to give Dracula access to her throat while under his thrall. On occasion, at her whim, she pulled the shirt down far enough to expose a nipple. She was never bare breasted.

"Who could forget the ridiculousness of "PG matinees" as they called them without the nudity."

Anyone who remembers has an active imagination - those matinees were discussed briefly, but never happened. :)

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-10-25 11:36:30

Talking of shows I can remember hardly a moment of . . .

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-10-25 11:54:25

...and yet it ran for far longer than anyone ever expected. How is a mystery. It was such a great cast, and it was gorgeous, but oy! the music! The book! How do you screw up Dracula?

Now here's one absolutely no one will remember - Andrew McCarthy, full frontal (eventually blood-drenched) nudity in The Boys of Winter. Don't remember it? Can't imagine why - it ran one whole week after opening.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-25 12:14:02

It ran for 4 and 1/2 months, although anyone who saw it expected it to close at intermission.

As far as "screwing up Dracula," remember that there is no such thing as a "good horror musical, " for the simple reason that scary don't sing. (And don't bring Sweeney Todd, into the conversation - that's a melodrama.)

Nudity on Stage
Posted by dreaming 2012-10-25 12:25:38

"Hair" would be the first one that pops into my head. I didn't find it took me out of the show at all. It was done tastefully enough (my mom was with me on one occasion and she was hardly uncomfortable about it).

I haven't seen too many shows featuring nudity to be honest (King Lear way back).

I know about Oh, Calcutta! and some others (The Blue Room).

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 13:21:17

How come "Let My People Come" was never released on CD??? I get that it probably has limited appeal, but it seems like it could sell well enough just for the camp factor alone if it was done as a limited release. The only copy I've ever come across is a scratchy digital transfer of the LP that someone did.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by once a month 2012-10-25 13:26:47

BD Wong stripped completely in M Butterfly with his back to the audience. I had first row all the way to the side, and was rather impressed with BD's'endowment'. Nice bubble-butt as well at the time.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by darquegk 2012-10-25 13:38:16

There's a missing song on the Let My People Come cast recording transfer that most people have heard: on the original copies, the song "Cunnilingus Champion of Company C" was present, but was switched for a new song at a later date which supposedly appears on most recordings. Interestingly, the LP transfer still has the cunnilingus song instead.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 13:47:10

Re Love Valour Compassion--though my top crush would be on Justin Kirk, you guys are right, it was about the actor playing Ramon. The New Yorker archives only had an edited archive of the piece, but:

"
The Talk of the Town

Naked Truths

by Alison Rose February 13, 1995 .

ABSTRACT: Talk story about the well-hung nude actor in Terrence McNally's play "Love! Valour! Compassion!" which ran for twelve weeks at the Manhattan Theatre Club. On Feb. 14, after 28 previews, it opens at the Walter Kerr on Broadway. So far, every preview performance has been sold out. The play received the highest praise from the critics, but an informal survey of theatregoers drew attention to some things the critics failed to mention. Straight Woman Upper East Side: The main thing is this young actor who is lying in the sun on his back during a lot of the second act. He's wearing only dark glasses and silver hoop earrings. He's young. Young is the point. I was sitting in the first row, and this actor--his character is called Ramon, or sometimes Chiquita--has his knees bent and his legs are pretty much apart. I kept straining my neck to look around to see if any other people were staring at him, and it seemed, oddly, that they weren't. Then this Ramon character stood up for a few seconds and faced the audience. Now you could see all of his penis, which was extraordinarily long, and everything behind it was huge. It was. Gay Man, Chelsea: It is huge. Absolutely. And I've seen quite a few. Straight Man, Hell's Kitchen: If one goes by the Greek norm--Greek statues are far from well hung--it was a disproportionately long penis... Straight Woman, Bel Air, California: At that play, I just sat there with my mouth wide open, and I was mesmerized by it. Gay Man, Greenwich Village: During the show I was very aware of my head movements, of my head moving back and forth because my eyes were following a naked actor on the stage. Well, I sort of did look around to see if anyone would notice what I was doing.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 14:44:27

^Wasn't it the same actor who played it in the film version? I don't remember him being that big. Has the definition of "long" changed since the mid 90s?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Ed_Mottershead 2012-10-25 14:48:56

Yes, Randy repeated the role in the film. Sadly, the only member of the stage version that was NOT in the film was Nathan Lane, which I felt was a crime. To add insult to injury, Jason (ugh) Alexander played the Lane part. Totally ruined the movie for me.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Tom5 2012-10-25 15:41:57

Julia Roberts wisely (!) said the reason she doesn't do nudity is because she does movies, not documentaries. The same rule might have some bearing for theatre.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Dollypop 2012-10-25 15:43:40

How could I forget the recent production of THE MILK TRAIN DOESN'T STOP HERE ANYMORE, where Darren Pettie went "full frontal"

Nudity on Stage
Posted by henrikegerman 2012-10-25 15:48:55

Ah.... Becker wasn't in LVC the night I saw it.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Starship 2012-10-25 15:58:06

Lemme know when there's a naked version of Newsies. kk.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 16:08:08

^I consider it surprisingly fitting that Naked Boys Singing comes right before Newsies on my ipod.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by kadu335 2012-10-25 16:23:23

CATSNYrevival, the original cast recording of LET MY PEOPLE COME was never released on CD but is available digitally on iTunes.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 16:31:34

^Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Nudity on Stage
Posted by PalJoey 2012-10-25 16:43:36

Marin Mazzie in the original Passion.

How many performers have been naked while singing Sondheim? That's a distinction.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 16:45:53

"^Wasn't it the same actor who played it in the film version? I don't remember him being that big. Has the definition of "long" changed since the mid 90s? "

I'm sure the piece is exagerating--Talk of the Town are just little gossipy bits. But, also, nudity on stage and on film gets pretty different reactions (and if we're talking size can even look slightly different). Also, from a regional production I saw, the nudity in the play does last a lot longer--or at least seemed to, to me.

Re Mazzie (and really, I think Jere could have had a bum shot as well :P), they claimed at the time two openings to the filmed version would be filmed (so that it would still get played on PBS, or wherever--this was after the Tales of the City controversy)--but it seemed in the end, only the more modest opening was.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-10-25 16:47:18

Nice to see mention of The Boys of Winter here (even if it's for totally prurient reasons).

Worked on that production with an amazing cast (Matt Dillon, D W Moffat, Ving Rames, Wesley Snipes) that I got to coach on how to climb around the walkways and ladders of David Mitchell's Tony-nominated set. Getting to watch Herb Ross at work with those guys was a treat, even if in the service of a crappy script.

More prurience-- 20-year-old Jude Law's cute arse and willy on display in Indiscretions.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 17:04:40

Is this Boys of Winter the play about the Vietnam war? I saw an awful student production of it, if it is, years back (awful due to the play seeming to be something of an unclear mess, and lousy performances), but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there was no nudity.

I did see an amazing production by a Russian troop of a play they did (with subtitles projected) of The Master and Margarita that toured Canada when I was 14. I went with my then-girlfriend (yes, I know), and her parents, and it was in a small black box theatre, with us right in the front, level with the audience. The male and female leads midway through got completely naked (I don't remember the context, but despite full nudity it didn't seem gratuitous to the play) and had about a five minute scene, about a foot away from us, in that state--which was my first encounter with on stage nudity (I don't remember them even placing a warning--not that I minded), so it's always stuck out for me.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-10-25 17:09:33

Yes, Boys of Winter was about the Vietnam war. There was a scene where Andrew McCarthy"s character stripped nude to shower, having hung a bag of water in a tree for that purpose. At one point during the shower, the water turned to blood.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 17:24:24

^Jere Shea should have gotten naked in Passion. If Clara is naked Giorgio should be too. Who's up for a revival?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by bobs3 2012-10-25 17:33:32

There was play that starred Mary Tyler Moore and Lynn Redgrave. They played artists and each had to paint a different young man who appeared in the nude. I don't remember the names of the actors.

Jeanne Tripplehorn (Big Love) did a play at The Public where the actor playing her boyfriend covered her nude body in Vasoline in the first act. During the second act she sat in a bathtub while he bathed her. I think the play was written by John Patrick Shanley.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ZoeTheGoat 2012-10-25 17:33:58

Dracula (2004 I believe) had female full frontal and of course Harry Potter got naked for a good amount in Equus.

If anyone saw that circus show Empire. There was a penis.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 17:36:24

"Don't know if it was true or not, but I remember hearing that Vanessa Redgrave didn't always get naked in "Orpheus Descending"; that it depended on whether or not she "got there" each night."

Interesting--in the well done, filmed for cable restaging of that production, I'm pretty sure there's no nudity--despite being cable--but it's been a while since I've hauled out the VHS (get it on DVD, damnit!).

Nudity on Stage
Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-25 17:39:24

LET MY PEOPLE COME was broadcast on cable TV, back before cable was in every home. It featured a young John Wesley Shipp before he was a soap star or The Flash on TV.

I assume it was HBO, because pay channels were few back then (at least in my house), but I'm not really sure.

Somebody somewhere has a copy of that tape...

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-10-25 17:42:17

"Dracula (2004 I believe) had female full frontal"

What? No. Aren't you reading your own thread? There have been two posts on Dracula, the last one mine, from the last page:

"Kelli was walking upstage when her nightgown "disappeared" in a pretty amazing effect. The lighting was dim, and Dracula covered her quickly with his cape. Her back was to the audience throughout. Anyone seeing her breasts had to have been on the extreme sides of the stage. As nudity goes, it was fairly tasteful, if arguably gratuitous. She was, btw, wearing a g-string.

Ms Errico had a scene in which she unlaced her shirt to give Dracula access to her throat while under his thrall. On occasion, at her whim, she pulled the shirt down far enough to expose a nipple. She was never bare breasted. "

Alan Cumming in Cabaret showed his tucchus.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by The Distinctive Baritone 2012-10-25 17:42:58

Yes, the Wildhorn Dracula had a full frontal from Kelli O'Hara and a bare-breasted Melissa Errico. They may have changed it by opening, but I saw it in previews and they were both facing the audience and fully exposed. It was awkward. O'Hara later expressed deep regret about agreeing to it in an interview.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 17:45:49

^Kelli wasn't even really naked. She was wearing a body stocking if I remember correctly.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 17:47:10

Shipp's very friendly on his facebook page, I should ask if he has a copy. :P I didn't know it was televised--I've seen the odd "cinecast" (before they had cinecasts) of Oh Caligula, however.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by The Josh 2012-10-25 17:48:08

The nudity in Seminar struck me as odd.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-25 17:53:06

What's a "cinecast"?

What is "OH CALIGULA"?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-10-25 17:55:12

"Yes, the Wildhorn Dracula had a full frontal from Kelli O'Hara and a bare-breasted Melissa Errico. They may have changed it by opening, but I saw it in previews and they were both facing the audience and fully exposed. It was awkward. O'Hara later expressed deep regret about agreeing to it in an interview."

Your memory is playing you false. It is true that O'Hara was always uncomfortable with the nudity, but she always had her back turned to the audience. She was facing upstage because that's where Dracula was, outside the window. There was no reason why she would ever have been facing downstage, since her focus was on him. There was a lightning flash, and in that moment O'Hara's nightgown vanished, and Dracula was suddenly in the room with her.

She did have a sense of humor about it, though. She threw a party during the run, sending out lovely invitations. On it, in small print at the bottom, were the following words: "clothing optional".

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 17:56:26

^I'd watch a show called "Oh, Caligula." Is there nudity in it?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-25 18:11:03

Apparently, there's no comma, CATS. "Oh" is Caligula's first name.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 18:15:01

Oh, I just assumed.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 18:22:25

***Also, apparently, the itunes download of Let My People Come IS the crappy LP transfer with all the skips and clicks. Why would they release that? Lame.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-10-25 20:02:04

LOL that's what I get for writing quick replies between classes. Oh! Calcutta! of course. Cinecast is like the recent theatre showings they've done for various theatre/opera/ballet productions only on certain dates, usually with no home release planned, and often live, depending on area.

I got it a bit wrong though, at least according to Wiki. It was broadcast as a special pay-per-view event (surely one of the first) over closed circuit tvs in certain cities in 1971, and later shown as a special event in other movie theatres in 1972.

CATS, maybe they lost the original masters for the cast album? That said, I have a few recordings that were mastered from LP copies and they usually can make them in fairly decent quality with a little tinkering.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 20:06:33

^The itunes one sounds like there was no tinkering at all.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by GavestonPS 2012-10-25 20:43:01

Well, here's a shocker: I was confused. The nude review shown on cable TV was Tom Eyen's THE DIRTIEST SHOW IN TOWN and, per Wiki, it was the first made-for-cable movie and was shown on Showtime in 1980.

It did indeed feature a young John Wesley Shipp, so it appears I have a better memory for naked boys than for titles of musical revues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dirtiest_Show_in_Town

Eric, I thought LET MY PEOPLE COME premiered in 1974. That's the year on the program and OC recording. Are you saying it was done on TV several years before that?

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-25 20:55:19

^The wikipedia page doesn't say anything about Let My People Come being filmed or broadcast, but it also says the show opened on Broadway and according to ibdb it only previewed on Broadway and never officially opened.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Rodgerdodger 2012-10-25 21:35:37

bobs3, the MTM play was Sweet Sue.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by newintown 2012-10-26 09:51:32

"Jeanne Tripplehorn (Big Love) did a play at The Public where the actor playing her boyfriend covered her nude body in Vasoline in the first act. During the second act she sat in a bathtub while he bathed her. I think the play was written by John Patrick Shanley."

That was The Big Funk - you're partly correct in the description; not that it matters, but she was slathered in Vaseline by a rather sadistic date while she was wearing a red vinyl suit (so easy to clean); the guy that bathed her after that later had his own extended nude scene in which he displayed one of the most extended foreskins I've seen.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Caring Soul 2012-10-26 20:10:07

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Dollypop 2012-10-26 20:27:45

Patti LuPone did a full frontal nude scene in the original ROBBER BRIDEGROOM.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-26 20:29:09

^And in that one movie which still haunts me.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by My Oh My 2012-10-28 03:31:51

I've never been spooked by nudity. It's a very blah ordinary thing to me.

I realized during childhood that I viewed the nekkid body much differently than most, when I'd find myself sinking into my seat with shame...not at the image of jugs; cock; arse; or what have you, but at the anticipation of the coming juvenile audience/my family's/friends' reaction. What a way to completely halt an experience, "Oooh ahhhing" some stranger's junk. Sheesh!

Nudity on Stage
Posted by Leadingplayer 2012-10-28 05:30:18

Randy Becker was "smaller" in the L!V!C! movie since it was filmed outside on a cold Canadian lake as opposed to a warm bway theatre.

as to the quote:

"What leading man in a current show is unsuccessfully pursuing a very handsome co-cast member?" Anyone want to venture a guess?"

That could be any show on Bway ever.

Nudity on Stage
Posted by mallardo 2012-10-28 10:20:07

"Patti LuPone did a full frontal nude scene in the original ROBBER BRIDEGROOM"

Except she was wearing a wig which covered just about everything.