Printer Friendly - Broadway twitter bashing

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Citygirl.grace 2012-07-24 22:44:40

Matt Doyle and @bwaynews on Twitter were tweeting about a few minutes ago some Broadway actors bashing each other and each others shows. Does anyone know what they are referring too????? Interesting.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-07-24 22:45:15

Read the last few pages of the Into the Woods thread.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by FindingNamo 2012-07-24 22:45:30

I'm going to have to go check those twitter accounts pronto because it is interesting.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-24 22:46:43

Direct links:

Question: HOW can you **** up "into the woods"?? I fear musicianship is dead in musical theatre. And acting, for that matter. #horrified
https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/227946709735587840

Really don't like seeing Broadway actors trashing other shows on twitter. Have a little tact. We're all in this together.
https://twitter.com/MattfDoyle/status/227952704062906369

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-07-24 23:29:27

It's very similar to the twitter "incident" when Tony Vincent trashed the Jesus Christ Superstar performance on the Tonys. And it's always the person who should be the last to criticize anyone.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by luvtheEmcee 2012-07-24 23:36:03

Well this is gonna be fun.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by grandpianoalex 2012-07-24 23:45:29

More!

@morganajames
And note: supporting my theatre community--which I DO--does not mean I have to *like* everything.

?@ScottAlanNet
@morganajames but you shouldn't tweet about it either. We should support one another in this industry & that tweet was disgusting. sorry.

@morganajames
@ScottAlanNet I'm sorry to offend. It's not about 'not supporting'. The prod/dir was offensive (sexually) and it just wasn't for me.

@ScottAlanNet
@morganajames then don't tweet your opinions, love. it IS about supporting. It's a FIRST preview featuring FRIENDS and IDOLS we respect

@ScottAlanNet
@morganajames people read your tweets & you need to be apart of this industry & be respectful & feel honored to be working in it.

@ScottAlanNet
@morganajames it disgusts me to see performers judging art. Theatre is already judged by so many. WE are the ones who need to SUPPORT

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Select a Member Name 2012-07-24 23:48:58

@BroadwaySpotted:
If we who care about theatre, aren't the ones to judge and hold it accountable how will it maintain integrity and grow? #JustSayin'

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-24 23:49:14

When Wesley Taylor went to a pre-release Rock of Ages screening, instead of tweeting that he did not like the movie, he just tweeted something along the lines of, "Well, Tom Cruise was funny."

You can have a negative opinion. You can subtly allude to that negative opinion. But coming right out and saying it when you are not only a public figure but a public figure known for the industry you are talking about, it leads to stuff like this.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 00:03:33

Reminds me of how Neil Patrick Harris goes to every show before the Tonys, and when people say, "You love EVERY show!", he replies, "No, I just am very careful with my wording." He'd write stuff like "Just saw Evita- beautiful staging!" "Newsies- wow, unbelievable choreography!" (not actual quotes, just basic idea) and then go all out for shows he really enjoyed. I think that's a nice way to do it.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:04:40

Morgan seems like she likes herself a lot.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by wdwfreak 2012-07-25 00:07:19

Josh Lamon just had this to say on his twitter.

"josh lamon ?@JoshLamon
And with that said let's talk about love. Hanging with Sondheim was the definition of all good gifts. Alas for you who got to see it."

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:08:05

Rachel Potter just chimed in:
Rachel Potter ?@therachelpotter
@ScottAlanNet @morganajames No offense Scott, but you have way more followers. You just judged her in front of all of us. Hardly supportive.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ShbrtAlley44 2012-07-25 00:09:30

Oh here go hell come.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 00:09:53

Rachel Potter is always a feisty one!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-25 00:10:29

Lamon actually using Godspell lyrics/song titles. Boom.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by keb2 2012-07-25 00:10:51

Is Josh Lamon using "alas" correctly? He feels bad for the people who got to see Into the Woods? That's not encouraging...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-07-25 00:11:37

Didn't Rachel Potter tweet a quote from a review praising her, but saying some not so nice things about Elena Roger not too long ago?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-25 00:12:40

Yes, but..... Yes.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:15:56

For me, like, of course she's ALLOWED to express her thoughts and her opinion is valid but...what about just not being a dick?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by kurt.perry41 2012-07-25 00:19:09

Morgan is a great person and yeah she was a little harsh but people jumping all over her is a little excessive.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:24:41

Okay Morgan James. Thanks for your opinion!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 00:25:08

Well, considering she said they can't act or sing, that was she was #horrified, why shouldn't they? It was bitchy. It was not constructive.

People need to mind their words more carefully now.

There's the 'ol three block rule when you've seen a play- wait three blocks before you start yapping because you don't know who's around you.

There should be a "don't badmouth performers and productions on Twitter" rule.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 00:25:16

Rachel seems intense. She posted something on facebook a few weeks ago about being so happy Obama Care was upheld... just went back and looked. Someone was arguing with her, "I think most can agree that we need a good medical system in place, however i do not agree to continue to feel bad for these lowlifes that refuse to go work because our government continues to cater to them."

She replied, "Randy- I live in New York city, and I will be the very first to say that I hate people who exploit the system. Can't stand them. I see them everywhere, they act like animals, feel entitled to everything without lifting a finger, steal from individuals as well as the government, think its cool to be uneducated.... the list goes on. I wish we could just blow them all up, and I would have a much more enjoyable subway ride to work every day. That said, sometimes the bottom feeders are going to benefit from the help that trickles down from people that are say, in my moms position. " Blow them all up? Really??

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-07-25 00:26:01

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. It is the WAY she went about expressing it that bothered me. There is no need for her to be flat out rude. She said this later on...

The prod/dir was offensive (sexually) and it just wasn't for me.

That's fine. She is entitled to her opinion, but when you are a member of the theatre community, you HAVE to be careful and thoughtful when sharing thoughts. She targeted the cast members' acting and the musicians in a very tactless manner. She didn't like the production, that is 110% a-okay, but just leave it at that.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by My Oh My 2012-07-25 00:26:39

I don't get what's so wrong about what was said. Who said it only places more focus on what was said. I'd like to think it was said by who said it because...IT'S SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID.

Said, said, said, LOL.

I get that there is such a thing as tact and some things are best left alone. If I'm reading that tweet right, the person who made it is upset over something central to musical theatre: acting and music.

HELLO!!!

I'd like to know more.

It sounds like the others are encouraging complacency and dishonesty, to the detriment of the art form...well, that's IF those tweets are saying what I think they're saying.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by kurt.perry41 2012-07-25 00:30:12

oh thats cute

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by alliez92092 2012-07-25 00:32:10

It's one thing for theater fans to make public comments, it's another for someone who works in the industry with many of the people who are involved with the show to say all of those things in such a public way. At the end of the day, it will hurt her in the long run because those are her colleagues. How would you feel if your colleague took to twitter to complain about the awful job you were doing on a presentation, and as a result everyone in your company saw and questioned your ability?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by kurt.perry41 2012-07-25 00:33:36

Kelly, I assure you I am not Morgan (I should be so lucky)

honestly though yeah it was a thorny comment to make and it might bite her in the ass but I don't think she meant it in a malicious way. Yeah the language she used was not terribly polite but, you say stuff and you gotta deal with the consequences. But people automatically assume she;s a bitch. If you;ve worked with her, fine have your opinion, but if you haven't don't assume.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 00:37:32

She may or may not be a bitch. But her tweet is bitch-ay.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by keb2 2012-07-25 00:38:58

I think it's easy enough to post a positive review or general praise in 140 characters or less, and that offends no one (except people who hated the production, but they have bigger fish to fry).

When something doesn't work in a production, though, to do justice to all the people whose hard work went into it, I think it's impossible to critique a show in one tweet. Sure, you can say "I didn't like it," that's objective and a personal truth, but in my opinion, critiquing a show well (that is, providing a well thought-out and knowledgeable critique of what you didn't like about a show) really requires more than 140 characters.

So, at least on Twitter, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Especially if you want to work with the people you're criticizing in the future.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayrose2 2012-07-25 00:39:48

It's ironic that this is the same actress who took to Twitter to complain about people being disrespectful during HER show.

Also, among a cast of Tony Award winners, not to mention Amy Adams who has an Academy nomination, she found ALL the acting "horrifying?" Really? Was there nothing worth seeing in this production? Most theater people who tweet can be tactful and find something positive to say even if they say something isn't their cup of tea.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by E.Davis 2012-07-25 00:44:23

*Cough* Three Academy Nominations *Cough*

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:45:50

And so it goes:

Scott Alan ?@ScottAlanNet
@therachelpotter - and if you truly believed YOUR tweet, you would have texted your thought to me instead of tweeting it.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by mjroberts972 2012-07-25 00:52:03

And now Scott Alan deletes all of HIS tweets...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by kurt.perry41 2012-07-25 00:53:07

ugh this is all so stupid....

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 00:53:36

I'm glad the Broadway community is just as mature as this board.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-07-25 00:54:46

Maybe they just wanted to compete with the first preview thread on Broadway World by stirring the pot... well, it worked.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-25 00:54:55

Kad, does that really surprise you?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by My Oh My 2012-07-25 00:55:34

Oh! The person in question is a fellow actor? Oh dear, that changes things a little. I thought they were just someone who's vocal about the theatre.

I agree with keb2 on Twitter not being the place to sound off about things that require explanation, especially if one is going to choose to sound off about it in a way that elicits emotional reactions. But I'm sure this is more a case of the finer rules of social media rather than the person's intentions and motives being malicious.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by alliez92092 2012-07-25 00:57:07

Best tweet I've read all night:

#InTech is trending? Is there a #Smash re-run on tonight?! #TweetThatIsNotAboutMorganJamesOrChickFilA

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Eris0303 2012-07-25 00:58:19

It sounds like the others are encouraging complacency and dishonesty, to the detriment of the art form...well, that's IF those tweets are saying what I think they're saying.

No one is "encouraging complacency and dishonesty". They're more encouraging being respectful to your coworkers and being mindful of your place in your community. As well as your future in said community.

Her comments were unprofessional pure and simple. Does she have the right to dislike the show? Of course. But her way of expressing that opinion left a lot to be desired.

I am a firm believer in constructive criticism but there was nothing constructive about her comments. Wouldn't it have been better to say something like "tough first preview. Can't wait to see what happens when they have a few more performances beneath them"? It acknowledges that there are issues but also shows support.

As others have stated - these are people she hopes/d to work with someday. Who in that cast/creative team will ever want to work with her? What producer/casting director will want to hire her?

You take her comments and apply them to any other industry and she would probably be shown the door. Let's not excuse her just because she's on Broadway

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by orangeskittles 2012-07-25 01:09:57

Isn't Morgan James the same actress who threw a hissy fit on Twitter about how "rude" Gavin Creel was because he looked bored at Godspell?

Personally, my definition of "rude" skews more towards hostile insults on a public forum, and less so "he went to the bathroom too many times".

Someone should get this girl a handler not employed by Ken Davenport if she wants a future career in New York.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-25 01:10:45

That's her.

https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/133802338497466368

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by beltingbaritone 2012-07-25 01:12:44

"Other famous bway actors..."

Is she implying that she's famous? What?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-07-25 01:13:36

Funny because I remember Gavin Creel and Andrew Rannells both posting about being at Godspell, and if I remember correctly they both tweeted nice and encouraging things about the cast members.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ABB2357 2012-07-25 01:26:16

Having an opinion is fine. Posting an opinion is fine.

But doing so in such a rude and unconstructive fashion as a visible member of the industry (and potentially a colleague of this cast/crew in future productions) is downright moronic.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by My Oh My 2012-07-25 01:36:26

Eris0303, point taken. I wasn't aware the person who initiated this was a fellow Broadway actor.

I kind of feel sorry for her. No, it's not "OK," but people seem to be assuming there was malice involved. Sure, she was mindless but that's not the same thing as malicious and the public scolding comes off a tad unprofessional. You'd think the best, most ethical option would involve giving the benefit of the doubt and taking it offline. But what do I know. =)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by elphaba.scares.me 2012-07-25 01:37:08

UGH...because Morgan James, a relentless self-promoter whose Broadway shows include such masterpieces as The Addams Family, Wonderland and Godspell, is now the self-appointed arbiter of musicianship and acting in the New York theater?

Saw her go on for Janet Dacal and she was terrific (not such a fan of her soul singer career), but WOW was that an ill-advised tweet.

Yeah, yeah, you went to Juilliard. Get over yourself. Fellow alums like Audra, etc, would never publicly bash a show. So, I guess the moral of the story is to always ask yourself 'what would audra do?' before you hit 'send'.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by basketcase 2012-07-25 01:41:30

My Oh My, while I agree that I do not believe there was malice behind her initial tweet, the fact that she continued to defend her position when she was called out makes it seem like she doesn't think she did anything wrong.

Let's be real though, Morgan isn't exactly known for being the most pleasant person in the business. Or at least that's what I've heard from several people who've had the (dis)pleasure of working with her.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by My Oh My 2012-07-25 01:49:41

So she's giving back what people give her. More power to her.

Just kidding!

Nah seriously, I guess I'm not familiar with the whole drama and wasn't aware of all that was said, but still, cut the chick a break. I just know there's a little Pollyanna in all of us, LOL.

*goes away*

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Leadingplayer 2012-07-25 02:28:27

and it's not like Broadway people forget things easily....we are still debating what Hal Prince said about Madelene Kahn!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Leadingplayer 2012-07-25 02:28:38

and it's not like Broadway people forget things easily....we are still debating what Hal Prince said about Madelene Kahn!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by smallworld 2012-07-25 02:45:09

I personally think that Morgan James and Rachel Potter just need to get over themselves. It seems to me like they are both reaaally into themselves with no reason to be.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Citygirl.grace 2012-07-25 03:01:23

I think a lot of the problem is just the way she said it. It's okay to tweet your opinions and stuff (if its in an appropriate way) but she was bashing the actors and the production and used language that was probably not the appropriate way to describe it. That's not okay.

Also... What did Rachel Potter say about Elena Roger?? I must of missed that one. I met her at the Stage Door and she was one of the nicest actors I've ever met..? Maybe not. What did she say about Elena??

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 07:29:41

I don't know if this was what the other poster meant, but she tweeted a line from a review that praised her at the cost of her castmate. It was pretty tacky.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mercades 2012-07-25 07:44:02

Though I do think miss james' tweet was in extreme poor taste and I think she is going to wake is this morning really regretting those 140 characters, I think it's ironic she sits in judgement before THE most judgmental bunch of people who sling mud at the expense of actors and productions alike. The only difference is she doesn't hide behind a screen name.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 07:51:42

I think there's a big difference. She is bashing producers, directors, and actors that she, likely, would want to work for/with in the future. Its in bad taste and not smart professionally. It's tacky.

No one is saying she can't have an opinion, but tact goes a long way.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mercades 2012-07-25 07:58:26

Yes, I totally agree. And if she was smart she would do some damage control and issue an apology.

I just think the (metaphorical) clutching of pearls and gasps of "how could she"!? Is just a little much from this lot.

It's more of a case of she shouldn't have. We've all said something we regret on line or in a public forum.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dreaming 2012-07-25 08:04:41

I'll reiterate-she is entitled to an opinion. However, and this is a big however, she needs to exercise great caution about how and where she posts this opinion-especially if she wants to have a career working with anyone in this cast/creative team (or not-no one wants to work with someone who is not supportive of others in the community-and it is a community)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by CaissieFan101 2012-07-25 08:45:56

WAIT!! She just apologized....

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-25 09:11:02

WOW

G'morning twitterverse... S'pose I should apologize for offending so many people. Did not mean to make so many people angry

http://twitter.com/morganajames/status/228107776554065920

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by wdwfreak 2012-07-25 09:12:18

morgan james ?@morganajames
G'morning twitterverse... S'pose I should apologize for offending so many people. Did not mean to make so many people angry
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Sorry.. don't know how to get the photo.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-07-25 09:21:13

Screencap + upload to tinypic.com + enter direct URL into "Optional Image" field

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 09:23:08

Can somebody clarify for me what she meant by "The prod/dir was offensive (sexually)"?

EDIT: Never mind. Just read the other thread.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by wdwfreak 2012-07-25 09:25:03

Production/direction was sexually. In the review thread, they said one scene could be taken that way.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mercades 2012-07-25 09:27:15

well-lol-

that wasn't REALLY an apology. but ok.

*sigh* kids...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Hairspray0901 2012-07-25 09:31:24

Not sure what Rachel Potter said about Elena via. twitter but her website had an interesting quote from a critic:

“Rachel Potter is a blessed oasis performing one of the show’s strongest tunes “Another Suitcase In Another Hall.” You’re tempted to assume that the main reason Evita tosses out this mistress of Juan Peron is simply because Potter has a much better singing voice.”
- Michael Giltz, The Huffington Post

I get it, your website is supposed to make you look good...but it's not supposed to make you look better than your cast members.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 09:37:44

Sooner or later, the generation that has been growing up in this digital age is going to have to learn that just because you CAN post something on the Internet doesn't mean you SHOULD.

There are consequences to every action, including posting 140 characters on Twitter. Yes, you have a "right" to your opinion, but, no, you don't have the right to demand that others "like" that opinion.

In a personal situation, that opinion may make you seem to be an asShole.

In a professional situation, that opinion may make you unemployable.

As Sondheim said, Where is forethought? Where's discretion of the heart?"

"Forethought" is thinking before you speak or act. "Discretion" is subsequently choosing not to speak or not to act.

If Ms. James is smart, she just learned both. I fear she learned nothing.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 09:39:55

It's certainly not suppose to make you look good at the EXPENSE of your castmates.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-25 09:40:23

Morgan James' "The prod/dir was offensive (sexually)" comment was her ineffective attempt to backpedal away from her original (quickly deleted) "Question: HOW can you f-ck up "into the woods"?? I fear musicianship is dead in musical theatre. And acting, for that matter. #horrified"

Twitter is so appropriately named, no?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 10:00:21

lol now she's retweeting people saying she shouldn't need to apologize.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-25 10:02:16

^ One person

Okay, now two.

I feel like some of this is getting very high school cafeteria. "No, you can't sit here. Who do you think you are? Oh, you're walking away now? That's so funny. Look at her, walking away. I bet she's going to cry. I bet she'll cry to a teacher. Pathetic."

Yes, I may need to talk to someone one day.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 10:12:55

Well, i think "be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter" counts too...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 10:12:57

That's my point, Wynbish: You can't Tweet to one person. When you Tweet, you Tweet to an ending number of people. Even if you subsequently erase your Tweet, it still is out there, making you look like an asShole to dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions.

So she didn't Tweet to "one person." She Tweeted to everyone.

Broadway twitter bashing

That's my point, Wynbish: You can't Tweet to one person. When you Tweet, you Tweet to an ending number of people. Even if you subsequently erase your Tweet, it still is out there, making you look like an asShole to dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions.

Broadway twitter bashing

That's my point, Wynbish: You can't Tweet to one person. When you Tweet, you Tweet to an unending number of people. Even if you subsequently erase your Tweet, it still is out there, making you look like an asShole to dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 10:14:43

I find it funny that apparently there is a porn star with the same name.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Harpz2006 2012-07-25 10:17:27

@PalJoey- Wynbish was talking to me about how many people she retweeted defending her. I did think BroadwaySpotted (who is very close with Morgan) made an interesting point though- where was all the industry support during the Spider-Man debacle?? Remember how the actors in that would complain they felt like they weren't even in the theater community because their peers would say the show was trash, etc?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-07-25 10:18:07

What a terrifically genuine apology.... NOT. Is she kidding me? She SUPPOSES she should apologize? WHY BOTHER?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TalkinLoud 2012-07-25 10:20:26

I don't understand how anyone could be defending her. I mean, she totally has a right to have an opinion and, yes, she even has a right to tweet that opinion no matter how nasty she words it. The criticism is from the fact that it's pretty tactless, not to mention coming from someone with her resume.

But beyond all, it's a really boneheaded move on her part. The Broadway community is (relatively) small. Doesn't she realize that there are people (directors, actors, The Public) working on this production that in all likelihood she will want to work with in the future? I'm not saying the everyone would turn down working with her in the future because of the comments, but I guarantee it would make a lot of them think twice.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 10:21:46

I don't remember clearly, but wasn't most of that about the safety issues and the spectacle?

If her tweet had been that she found the sexuality to be offensive, (her back pedalling statement) I think this wouldn't have blown up.

That's a reasonable comment, suggesting that musiciality and acting were non existant is another story.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-25 10:23:13

The Broadway community is just so interconnected. Take my Wesley Taylor example. Wesley was in The Addams Family with Morgan while he dated Matt, presumably the first tweet from the community to comment on what she said. It is a place where, upon consideration during casting, talent is often seen in correlation with who people know.

You just never know when you may need a bridge that was burned.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ECahill84 2012-07-25 11:02:04

"The criticism is from the fact that it's pretty tactless, not to mention coming from someone with her resume."

Please tell me how her resume affects her ability to form an opinion? Just wondering.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by artscallion 2012-07-25 11:12:33

It doesn't affect her ability to form an opinion. It just speaks to the credibility of said opinion. You can ask a terrible cook to recommend a restaurant. Or you can ask a talented cook. They can both form opinions, since they both eat. But the talented cook is more likely to know what he's talking about.

eta: I'm not judging her specific opinion as I have no idea who she even is, and have not seen any of the shows she's been in.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by NewYorkTheater 2012-07-25 12:17:32

I wrote an account of the attack on the "attack" by Morgan James on Into The Woods, and the attack on the attack on the attack, and then I was attacked on Twitter for not "moving on."
I think there are a lot of sensible remarks on this message thread as to why Ms. James' Tweet was ill-advised. But I wonder whether the harshness of the attack on her has something to do with the Sondheim can-do-no-wrong cult following.
I agree Sondheim is a genius. Sondheim's work turned me onto musical theater. But his following can be scary sometimes, no?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mister Matt 2012-07-25 12:29:24

Tact is an art form and one that should be honed by any actor in the business seeking to advance their career. I don't particularly agree with censorship, but that's just how the business works. Be critical, but be mindful of your form of expression. In other words, don't piss off your potential employers. Or their colleagues. Or their friends. It's just not a good idea.

Unless you're Ethel Merman. Then say what you want.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 12:30:40

errr...I don't think the Cult of Sondheim has anything to do with it in this instance.

In fact, his name has never even been invoked in this thread.

Even if the show was just crummy overall, in terms of score or book and the whole shebang, it's not appropriate for a member of the Broadway community to state publicly that she was "#horrified" by it, and that acting and musicianship is dead.

Whether it be Wonderland or Into the Woods, it's just a lousy thing to do. The Broadway community is infamously close-knit. James undoubtedly is familiar with people involved with the show and vice-versa, either directly or through people.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by FosseBoi 2012-07-25 12:38:38

Why the hell is Playbill.com reporting this?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/168391-Godspells-Morgan-James-Apologies-For-Twitter-Stir-Following-First-Preview-of-Publics-Into-the-Woods

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by artscallion 2012-07-25 12:39:27

SJS followers can speak for themselves. But for me, it has to do, for me, with the fact that she publicly said the performers and musicians were so bad that they managed to screw up ITW. Then all of her apologies conveniently ignore that fact and try to make it sound like it was the concept of the production or the sexuality.

For me it's about publicly and personally attacking her business associates. It's not about her right to like or not like a show or about her attacking an SJS show. It's about a personal attack on actors and musicians that she then acts like she said something completely different even though we can all see it in writing.

If she wants it to move on, I'd guess that all she has to do is acknowledge what she said and apologize...not because she's s'posed to or because people are mad, but because she understands why what she did is tacky. Of course she doesn't NEED to do anything. But this kerfuffle is the consequence. And you can't blame what she did on "Sondheim can-do-no-wrong cult following"

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 12:43:11

Years ago, I used to post a lot more about shows I saw and, though I thought I was fair, I also enjoyed being a little cutting and tried to be funny...at the expense of performers and other industry professionals that I wished to work with. I realized this was ugly behavior and that my opinion matters very little. So I took a step back...and now I try not to be overly harsh about my friends and fellow performers as they try to do good work in this city (and around the country). I had to own up to the negativity I was putting out there, where it came from and how unproductive it was for me. It was a really good lesson to learn, and I think I've become a better professional because of it. I mean...I can still be a c*nt sometimes. But I fight against it...because I know how hard it is to create something good.

Hopefully, Ms. James will learn that lesson as well.

And, yes. Sondheim has nothing to do with it. Manners and respect are what's at issue here.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 12:44:38

I can still be a c*nt sometimes.

As Hermione Gingold once sang, "Oh, no. Not you."

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by finebydesign 2012-07-25 13:03:19

Who is Morgan James?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by FindingNamo 2012-07-25 13:16:17

"Morgana James" sounds like a Troma scream queen.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 13:18:04

She had EVERY right to say what she did. The so-called community needs to get a tougher skin and grow the hell up. What a bunch of babies. Theatre people should be the harshest critics. She knows what it takes to do a show, and she gave an opinion. She can be as honest as she wants. I haven't seen this production, but I love Into The Woods, and most productions of it are crap. If the work's not good, the team needs to hear it. End of story. She doesn't owe them anything. Anyone who doesn't hire her based on that is childish and doesn't know how to handle criticism. Musicians don't have to like all music. Film directors don't have like all movies. Theatre artisans sure as Hell, don't have to like all theatre. God knows I don't. And I'd have said as much, if I felt like she did. The ONLY thing I'd say against her, is that someone who starred in Wonderland and Addams Family, hardly has room to call other shows "horrifying".

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 13:21:55

Playbill posted its article about the Twitter-versy on its Facebook page, along with a very clever line:

"Careful the things you tweet.. Children retweet them."

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by everythingtaboo 2012-07-25 13:23:27

Holy Christ I'm not sure if the tweet or the fallout is worse.

Like Janet's nipple, nobody cared until people started listening to other people with a bigger audience that wouldn't shut up about it.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by finebydesign 2012-07-25 13:26:54

I really had to read that Playbill article to understand how pathetic all this is. A z-list actress said something dumb on social media to make herself feel better about her own ****ty career. A bunch of other nobodies went all concern troll on her.

Seriously? This is grade school stuff, anyone that suffered through Psych 101 can see these people need to CHECK THEIR EGOS.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-25 13:28:14

This has somehow gotten twisted into the criticism being about James' right to voice an opinion. She has every right to voice an opinion. No one ever said she didn't have that right. The fact that her opinion was "HOW can you f-ck up "into the woods"?? I fear musicianship is dead in musical theatre. And acting, for that matter. #horrified" — and that she chose to publicy broadcast this opinion after a show's first preview — simply brought up the response that this was a) tactless and unprofessional; b) not very forward-thinking, career-wise; and c) comically ironic coming from a young perfomer whose only Broadway credits are three musical debacles.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 13:28:25

It's the future, finebydesign.

Andy Warhol once said everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. It's happening now.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 13:31:19

Thank you, followspot.

No one is policing what opinions people are allowed to have.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheLadyoftheWood 2012-07-25 13:39:45

Is this the same Morgan James who screech/screamed out music on Obsessed with Seth Rudetsky?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 13:40:04

As I've said, if she simply said she didn't care for it, and cited the sexuality presented as her reason, the tweet would have gone practically unnoticed.

What she said was unprofessional and beyond "honest".

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mister Matt 2012-07-25 13:40:19

"She had EVERY right to say what she did. The so-called community needs to get a tougher skin and grow the hell up. What a bunch of babies," TheHappyPhantom exclaimed anonymously.

Anyone who doesn't hire her based on that is childish and doesn't know how to handle criticism.

That may be true, but to expect everyone in the industry to be above it, then you're discounting at least a century of history and nearly ever big name in the business. Fair? Perhaps not. But reality is rarely fair and to expect as much is hopelessly naive.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 13:44:09

That goes against human nature. You don't hire people that have publically maligned your work.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by DottieD'Luscia 2012-07-25 13:44:23

She would have been better off bitching about it here on Broadway World as opposed to tweeting.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 13:45:56

"Anyone who doesn't hire her based on that is childish and doesn't know how to handle criticism."

Ha HA! Welcome to the theatre, Miss Eve Harrington.

If two people came before me who were similarly talented, and one of them was someone who publicly made ill-advised comments about other performers (whom I may also want to cast in my project), guess who's getting the job.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by taboo123 2012-07-25 13:45:59

At the end of the day- the Broadway community is such a small community. She should have worded wisely and carefully without messing up potential future collaborations, employers and work buddies. That's of course, if you feel you need to twat everything.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 13:47:27

Or, she could have kept her mouth shut and said NOTHING. Why in God's name would you put that out there? What chip do you have missing that you think it's ok and it won't get around???

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by DottieD'Luscia 2012-07-25 13:50:10

^or if you have to, just say something to the people you're with; in person!!!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 13:52:49

^ I concur!

I mean...I love to tear a show apart! But not in 140 characters! I need much more room to let the c*ntitude unfurl!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by everythingtaboo 2012-07-25 13:54:49

I do find it funny that no one has a problem with a ton of personal attacks against her talent, the jobs she's taken, her general existence it seems.

While yes, it was a bad move on her part, there's a ton worse on display here and nobody has claimed to be personally attached to the production has to be so damn upset to begin with.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 13:56:14

And for all the negative things HER shows have had said, you would think she'd know better. I'm sure it sucked to hear the press and discussion boards react negatively. But did she see/hear other actors trash her shows? Not publically. And I'm SURE there were some (many?) that thought her shows were garbage. (I'm not saying she was any of the reason the shows were less than wonderful.)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-25 13:56:28

She would have been better off bitching about it here on Broadway World as opposed to tweeting.

Oh, Dottie--even here, we are are not alone.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by DottieD'Luscia 2012-07-25 13:59:31

^Ha, but she could have created a screen name, say, JamesMorgana!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 14:00:20

It probably would've been "MorganJamesFan", actually.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by DottieD'Luscia 2012-07-25 14:03:15

So true.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by taboo123 2012-07-25 14:09:27

There's a lot of MorganJamesing on these boards every second of every day.

If anything, it gives us all a chance to take a look at ourselves too.

World Peace.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 14:13:41

^ Out loud I laughed.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by coverboyz 2012-07-25 15:52:10

"HOW can you f-ck up "into the woods"?? I fear musicianship is dead in musical theatre. And acting, for that matter. #horrified"

I think Morgan James is entitled to her opinion but was it a stupid move to tweet it? Yes.
"And acting for that matter". Oooh. I think what she was trying to say here was that there needs to be more theater like the recent Godspell revival.
Sounds like someone is bitter about not being cast in Into the Woods more like.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by After Eight 2012-07-25 15:56:50

"errr...I don't think the Cult of Sondheim has anything to do with it in this instance.

Whether it be Wonderland or Into the Woods, it's just a lousy thing to do."

Yes, it is. And very ill-advised. But if the tweet had been about Wonderland, do you think it would have provoked the same level of indignation that we have seen here?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Mister Matt 2012-07-25 16:00:45

Any post in favor of anything Wildhorn provokes indignation on BWW.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 16:21:24

I love sondheim and Into the woods, and I still say she had a right to say it, and more power to her for being honest. It has nothing to do with it being a Sondheim show.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-25 16:26:28

Of course she had the right to say it. And now she has to deal with the backlash.

Having the right to an opinion doesn't mean you are free from the backlash of stating that opinion.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 17:15:16

No it doesn't, but she shouldn't be getting any backlash. If a regular patron had said it, it would be fine. she wasn't an actress that night, she was an audience member, and as such she can post a review. Not a single comment against her has held an ounce of maturity. People need to get over themselves. Theatre people should be the harshest critics. They obviously weren't her friends. She doesn't owe them anything. Any seeing as very few people have seen this production yet...she might be right!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-25 17:31:01

But some of them ARE likely friends of hers. Or potential friends. Or potential employers. She IS an actress.

I'm a teacher. My public demeanor is always subject to scrutiny. If I were to get drunk, and sing too loud in a restaraunt -- you can bet my career and reputation would be in jeopardy. No different here.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 17:36:15

do you teach kids? If so, you'd have parents to deal with, which is a separate issue. I'll tell you right now, I've had plenty of teachers in college who've shared with us their stories of going out drinking. Cause we're all adults, and it's not a crime. She's an adult. And again, I say anyone who let's an honest opinion keep them from hiring someone who's qualified, is a baby.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by NewYorkTheater 2012-07-25 17:46:43

Wow, this really has legs! More than 100 entries on this message thread alone -- and Twitter still at it, and theater offices -- and my blog post from 2 a.m. last night continues to get traffic!
Why did this hit such a nerve?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-25 17:47:45

I dunno. When is something that's called an ATTACK not an ATTACK?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by orangeskittles 2012-07-25 17:48:17

If a regular patron said it, they would be criticized too, but not even the anonymous posters on BWW were as outright nasty in their reviews of the show last night as she was. And as a theatre professional, she should know better than to be such a harsh critic based on a first preview.

She's allowed to have an opinion and she's allowed to post it. And we're allowed to have the opinion that it was tacky and rude without backlash from her defenders.

And again, I say anyone who let's an honest opinion keep them from hiring someone who's qualified, is a baby.
I wouldn't consider it "babyish" for a producer or director not wanting to put their money and show on the line for a loose cannon with no filter and a bad attitude.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-25 17:52:08

Most producers and directors will look at her tweets and go, "If she's that difficult online, imagine how she would be in rehearsals. If she's so quick to be insulting on twitter, just imagine what she would say behind the backs of the cast and crew."

Rehearsals can be stressful enough.

Do they really need some snarker with a superiority complex to take to Twitter or start rolling her eyes at castmates?

She wasn't critiquing anything. She was being insulting.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by everythingtaboo 2012-07-25 17:57:47

What would she do without us to teach her all these valuable life lessons?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 18:22:01

an honest opinion of a show she may have been right about, hardly qualifies her as a loose canon. That's the kind of immature thinking I'm talking about. It does nothing to show her as "difficult" or has having a "complex". It just means the creative are babies, who can't handle anything negative. Not liking a show, and voicing it, is perfectly acceptable. And even if she was harsh, which I say she hardly was, tough! They need to learn to accept it, and grow up. her being in the field doesnt' mean she has to encourage everything she sees. She's not involved in the production. She has no ties to it. People, grow up. Ive been a part of a lot of ****ty productions, I knew they were bad, and I sure as hell would say so to my friends. The product wasn't good, and they didn't need to waste their money. I didn't say so in front of other members of the team, but that's cause I a part of it. Not being involved in a show though, play ball! Also, the defense that it was a first preview is meaningless. They let an audience in, the audience gave a response. No one was pretending it wasn't the first preview. And we've all seen enough shows in previews to know how little they change sometimes.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-25 18:25:40

Happy Phantom is right. All she tweeted was the she feared musicianship and acting were dead in musical theatre. How is that harsh?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by orangeskittles 2012-07-25 19:09:56

Not a single comment against her has held an ounce of maturity. People need to get over themselves.

I don't know why you're complaining. The posters here are just giving their honest opinions. Why do you feel Morgan James shouldn't be criticized for her "honest opinions", but simultaneously call posters here immature and babies for giving theirs? What hypocrisy.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by adamgreer 2012-07-25 19:14:30

She continues to backpedal:

I am really sorry for this firestorm. For my words, for responses, for the chaos. I am so sorry. I had NO idea this would turn into this.
https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/228248881396330497

And I apologize to the cast, crew and creatives of the show and everyone at the Public.
https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/228252201263452160

But not being offering up this bit of bitchiness:

Holy slow news day, batman!
https://twitter.com/morganajames/status/228171393538330626

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by TheHappyPhantom 2012-07-25 19:14:37

I'm calling the theatre people in NY who attacked her those things, actually. Not necessarily the people here. And if I were to refer to anyone here, it wouldn't be because of them giving their opinion, but rather the invalidity of that opinion.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by BroadwayStar4 2012-07-25 19:22:39

Happy Phantom is right. All she tweeted was the she feared musicianship and acting were dead in musical theatre. How is that harsh?

You forgot to say "HOW can you **** up "into the woods"??" and "#horrified".

It's fine that she was being honest, but she didn't have to be a complete b**** about it. She just insulted everyone who worked in the production. And due to the fact that she's in the theatre community, it's not a smart move for her to express her opinion in such a brash, tactless way, especially on TWITTER for everyone to see. In showbiz, you have to be very careful of what you say or you will receive a lot of backlash. Which she did.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by qolbinau 2012-07-25 19:24:54

What bothers me most about the comment is that it implies she could do better than them, which is just so arrogant and cringe worthy considering she has basically done nothing in her career, relatively speaking. (I mean, I assume that when she claims 'acting' and 'musicianship' is dead, she wouldn't include herself in that claim).

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-07-25 23:16:11

It's nice to know that millenials and their entitlement issues don't just exist in the business world, they are working on Broadway too.

It's good to see the effects of enabling parents and competitions were everyone gets a medal for participating playing out in the Broadway Twitterverse.

#rachelandmorganarebrats

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-07-25 23:49:24

...besides the fact that I've seen enough productions of Into the Woods to know it can *easily* be ****ed up...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by EricMontreal22 2012-07-25 23:50:02

(Although I'm not really sure why this behaviour is chalked up to her generation...)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-26 00:06:54

HappyPhantom--the only one who seems to be exhibiting "immature thinking" is YOU in refusing to accept that actions have consequences.

Understanding the idea that every action has a consequence is what maturity is.

That's all maturity actually is, in the end:

Accepting that actions have consequences.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by FindingNamo 2012-07-26 00:30:16

I think everybody needs to back off poor Morgana. I don't know if you all realize this, but she was in the popular Godspell revival. I'm sure Dollypop will back me up on this, the girl has earned the right to comment based on that fact alone.

Long live God!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-26 00:31:43

I forget which song she sang in Godspell, but she really made it her own, you know?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by theaterisdead 2012-07-26 01:22:09

I do think it's silly that it was made a news headline on Playbill, though. Slow day is right...

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PReeves2 2012-07-26 01:46:13

does anyone else feel bad for her agent/manager?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by theaterisdead 2012-07-26 01:50:16

Reminds me of that thing between Lea Michele and the girl from Grey Gardens/Modern Family. Didn't apologize until there was backlash from fans.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by blaxx 2012-07-26 02:09:13

I can't believe no one reminded her she was just part of the cast who ****ed up Godspell...BAD.

I can't believe anyone from that production is criticizing another musical, did the zero nominations and critic bashing mean nothing to her? Morgan "The Kettle" James.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Leadingplayer 2012-07-26 02:21:57

So what happened between her and Gavin Creel/Andrew Rannels

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ClumsyDude15 2012-07-26 02:36:32

Somewhere Donna Murphy, Denis O' Hare, and Amy Adams are like - and you are?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-26 07:19:12

I believe the story about Gavin (I don't know if Andrew was mentioned) goes thusly:

She complained that Creel came to the show and had a bored look on his face throughout the show. I think I heard it was another Twitter post. People have been quick to point out, that Creel posted positively about going to the show.

(I am only repeating what has been stated on the boards for you, I cannot verify the info.)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 08:19:31

She's now only famous for being infamous. One would think that as a newcomer to the Broadway community she would realize that publicly voicing an opinion as strong and as negative as hers to all of twitter would be a really bad career move.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-26 11:50:57

What do you mean she's only famous for being infamous?! Haven't you read her website?! ; )

Morgan James is not just a great soul artist…or a great R&B artist, or even a great jazz artist. The classically trained vocalist is malleable enough to encompass several genres, while displaying vocals reminiscent of Motown-era greats, all the while making her mark on Broadway. Morgan is armed with the chops to blow people away, and the musicianship to craft every tune. Mix a bit of Nina Simone with Aretha Franklin, add the warmth of Eva Cassidy and the musical passion of Prince, and you will start to get an idea of what kind of artist Morgan James is. She has been called "utter perfection… her vocal expertise was almost painfully beautiful. She could sing every style and genre of music flawlessly." At home on the Broadway, concert and rock stages Morgan James is one of the country's most sought-after singers.

Upcoming schedule:

Oct. 6 — Wichita Symphony Orchestra - Wichita, KA
Dec. 1 — Modesto Symphony Orchestra - Modesto, CA

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 12:01:46

Los Angeles Times

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 12:03:31

The Guardian

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 12:04:41

CNET

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by finebydesign 2012-07-26 12:26:37

"She's now only famous for being infamous."

I'd hardly call her incident yesterday infamous. She's still a z-lister.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 12:29:58

Haven't you read her website?!...

That website blurb about her being called "utter perfection" appears to be from a message posted on a TheaterMania discussion board. A post that is suspect in itself being that it is so absurdly positive.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-26 12:34:48

lol... love it, morosco!

And will it push me over the edge into pure evil to point out that this "young" performer graduated from Juilliard nine years ago? This isn't a Twitter-happy 16-year-old. In fact, it would be a safe bet to double that.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ECahill84 2012-07-26 12:44:18

you all need to move on. this "scandal" and the lengths to which it has been blown out of proportion are ridiculous. she made a mistake, she apologized, now let's worry about more important things that are happening in our world.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-07-26 12:48:12

Okay, ECahill. Pick a topic.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by artscallion 2012-07-26 12:52:42

But it has to be more interesting than this one.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kelly2 2012-07-26 12:53:36

Morgan also seems to have a casual relationship with the truth.

"Her Broadway credits include the first-ever Broadway revival of Godspell (singing "Turn Back, O Man"), and the original casts of Frank Wildhorn's Wonderland (where she covered, and closed the Broadway cast playing, Alice)"

This is what appears on her website...this is a pretty overt lie, no?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-07-26 13:25:08

So, what I'm getting from a lot of you is that being a theater professional means you don't get to express negative opinions about theater. How delightfully absurd.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 13:31:03

Thing is, what she twittered was tantamount to "it sucked". She didn't say why she was "horrified", nor why she thought musicianship and acting were "dead".

It was hyperbolic, absurd, and tactless.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-07-26 13:33:27

Still not seeing the problem.

Also, you try explaining why musicianship is dead in 140 characters. She expressed what was relevant.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 13:39:52

In that case, I think her twitter is pointless. After being criticized, she changed her tune to say she was offended by the sexuality - which has nothing to do with musicianship or acting.

I think it is inadvisable for performers to be so negative, especially of a first preview, especially if you are a performer known for being thin-skinned yourself, but if you must be negative, I don't think it's too much to ask to consider your words and say what you really mean.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 13:40:28

So it's okay because the medium she chose is constrictive?

If you don't see what is wrong with a professional publicly declaring that the work of peers is horrifying and they are representative of how their craft is "dead", well... I'm sure you must be very popular around your workplace.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 13:45:34

Hoffington Post

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-07-26 13:48:24

Still not getting an explanation as to why she should not say she thought something was bad.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dreaming 2012-07-26 13:51:41

Chancencounter-Regarding your questions as to whether theater professionals are not entitled to not like something-of course they are. I think what is so offensive is that she was so vocal about her criticism-using very broad language and also doing so in such a public way. I think when you're in a business like this one, you need to show a lot more tact than Ms. James did.

And frankly, her apology was not all that sincere. (She 'supposed' she should apologize?)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 13:53:48

Yes, you have, ChanceEncounter. You have gotten several pages of people rationally saying why they think she's in the wrong.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 13:56:38

While you may not personally understand the reasons or are too stubborn to try, Chance, you definitely have been getting them in this thread and several others.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 13:58:25

"Still not getting an explanation as to why she should not say she thought something was bad."

I'm beginning to wonder if you're being deliberately obtuse. It wasn't so much that she had a negative opinion, it was how she expressed it. Do you think she really thinks that musicianship and acting are dead? Probably not - so why say so? If you only have 140 characters to use, use them wisely.

Her tweet was thoughtless, discourteous, tactless, insensitive, hasty and coming from her, hypocritical. It also was very unwise in terms of her future, should she remain in the business.

eta: or what Kad and Wynbish said :)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-07-26 14:07:53

I don't remember people being up in arms about negative comments about Spiderman during it's disastrous 47 month preview. And there were "celebrities" who commented on it. I'm beginning to the think the person who attributed this ridiculous overreaction to the Cult of Sondheim was on to something.

Speaking ill of Harness & Wires the Musical is fine, but speaking ill of the most recent production of one of The God of Broadway's shows is the worst thing to happen in the theater world since Lincoln's assassination.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 14:09:37

As someone has already said, (seriously, do you read these things?) Spiderman was more an issue of safety and the wellbeing of the performers.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 14:19:13

"Speaking ill of Harness & Wires the Musical is fine, but speaking ill of the most recent production of one of The God of Broadway's shows is the worst thing to happen in the theater world since Lincoln's assassination."

Again, what Wynbish said, and besides, your theory that people were up in arms because Ms James criticized Sondheim doesn't hold water, because she didn't. Quite the opposite, in fact. "HOW can you **** up "into the woods"?? ", she said. To me that means ITW is so good that it's hard to screw up, hardly an indictment of Sondheim or his work. It was an unfocussed and harsh criticism of the musicians and actors. Nothing to do with Sondheim, other than praise of his show, however indirectly.

...and besides that, I did object to the incessant Spider-Man bashing back when. It was so absurdly over the top.

eta: I'm beginning to wonder if another poster's theory that you're Ms James might have some truth to it. You both have a tendency towards hyperbole. "...worst thing to happen in the theater world since Lincoln's assassination"? Really?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 14:21:27

This really is a Sondheim-free debate. Or it should be.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by morosco 2012-07-26 14:24:59

harsh criticism of the musicians

Paul Gemignani no less.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by artscallion 2012-07-26 14:25:26

Chance you're missing the point that she actually didn't diss Sondheim or Sondheim's show. In fact, she complimented it by asking, "how do you F up ITW?" Implying that it's so good and likable that it's you have to work hard to make it bad. Her complaint was about the actors and musicians. How would that rile up Sondheim fans? I'm a Sondheim Fan and I hated the ITW revival. And I had no problem saying it because it was not the show or SJS that I hated, it was the production and cast.

It's common sense really. I work in a theatre and see lots of things on stage that I have an opinion on. But I use common sense in deciding how, when and to whom I voice that opinion. If I have a good opinion, I say it loud and often to bolster my co-oworkers and the show. If I think the show stinks, I may snark out of the corner of my mouth with the guy at the desk next to mine, if I trust him. But I would never publish it on twitter for these co-workers to potentially see.

Theatre is a small world where people move from show to show, from theatre to theatre. So we are all co-workers, even if we are not working on the same show at the moment. Chances are we will be soon. Or that we have friends in common or know each other. It's just tacky and I can't figure out why some folks are having trouble getting that.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 14:25:55

Saying that acting is dead when the cast contains two Tony-winners and the three-time Oscar nominee just makes you look ridiculous. Add to the the known musicianship of Jessie Mueller, Ivan Hernandez and a number of others and it makes you look stupid.

Clearly it was a rough preview. And many on here noted that, while also taking into account the fact that, due to unforeseen circumstances, the show was unable to have a real invited dress (the single most important night in the process of any show). It's was the astonishing remark that musicianship and acting was dead that people are reacting too.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2012-07-26 14:27:36

Okay, but can we agree that liking Sondheim's work is the root of all evil?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 14:30:26

Sondheim gave Eve the apple.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by artscallion 2012-07-26 14:32:57

But it isn't his fault
that she tweeted that tweet
she persuaded us to trade away our tickets on the street
If she'd only thought first
If she hadn't hit send
Then this whole little drama would have reached it's end.
See it's HER fault!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by PalJoey 2012-07-26 14:35:29

I loved Ivan Hernandez in Yank.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-07-26 14:38:29

As someone has already said, (seriously, do you read these things?) Spiderman was more an issue of safety and the wellbeing of the performers.

I remember seeing PLENTY of comments about the quality of the show.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-26 14:42:43

Chance, let's try this:

You meet the CEO of the prestigious firm you've dreamed of working at, and he takes a liking to you — so much so that he invites you to a group dinner of influential people in your field. He prepares a new salmon recipe he's been wanting to try. It's not perfect. In fact, you hate it. You put on a brave face, and then on your train ride home, you tweet to everyone at the party, everyone in your field, and the potential boss who invited you: "Question: How do you f#ck up salmon?!? #horrified"

Smart? Classy?

The reaction to Morgan James' tweet isn't about how she felt about the salmon — it's about her tactless, ungracious, unprofessional behavior.

Get it now?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 14:49:00

I first became aware of Ivan Hernandez in NYCO's Most Happy Fella. He sang the f*ck out of JOEY and looked like a brick sh*thouse in a pair of jeans (see After Eigth? I didn't say c*nt once!).

His work in YANK showed him to have even more depth that I first guessed. He's actually the person I'm most excited to see.

Not excited like THAT.

Well...kinda like that. Let's just say excited and scared.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-26 14:53:58

I've never seen Ivan Hernandez before in my life, but I would like to thank PalJoey for the introduction. Wow. Morgan who?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 14:54:08

He doesn't wear a shirt as the Wolf.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by dramamama611 2012-07-26 14:54:18

Chance -- what PROFESSIONALS did you see that publically posted negative things about the actors -- either their acting or their musicality?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 14:57:51

On top of that, what critical professionals (if any) are not at such a high level in the Broadway community that they wouldn't mind having lost a chance to work with the creators or stars in the show?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 15:02:32

Dear Kad,

F*ck you, you c*nt, for putting that in my head.

Remaining seated at his desk,

robbiej

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 15:05:23

...but are you giving Ivan a standing ovation, SonofRobbieJ ?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 15:07:19

Hey-O!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 15:20:53

Always, ghostlight. Always.

I never sit when Ivan's on the stage.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-26 15:24:48

It's a shame about his musicianship and acting. #horrified

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 15:27:06

Don't forget all the sexual offenses.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Kad 2012-07-26 15:28:25

Especially don't forget about those.

In fact, go into detail a bit.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 15:31:43

Oh dear. I feel bad. I don't wish to reduce an actor I admire to a piece of meat!

Mmmmmm. Meat. Bacon. Jamon, to be more specific.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 15:38:17

A month or two ago, some poster on here was actually starting to think that the wolf's penis in the original costume was actually Robert Westenberg's penis all painted up.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 15:43:10

There's a Keith Haring photograph that's kinda like that. Maybe that's what he was thinking.

(No, After Eight, I won't post that! See, I can show come self-control!)

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 15:49:50

I have no such qualms. It's a great photo, and displays more tact than the tweets under discussion (see what I did there?).

eta: "come self-control"? If that's not a typo, what are you doing later tonight - or y'know, now?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-07-26 15:51:51

My eyes! My eyes!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-26 15:53:48

Could you imagine having to nightly take that paint off?

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-26 16:03:10

'Come self-control' was a Freudian typo.

I friggin love that Haring photo. Genius.

Almost as much as I love the Agony one above!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by ghostlight2 2012-07-26 16:09:41

I love that he kept the glasses on and didn't modify them in any way.

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by crawson2 2012-07-30 12:50:49

I haven't read the whole string about the actor playing negative critic on "Into the Woods," but has anyone pointed out the chief sin -- launching a critical attack based on the FIRST PREVIEW? There are rules!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-30 12:59:05

Yes, people have pointed that out. And there has been a separate thread just about that.

Welcome!

Broadway twitter bashing
Posted by followspot 2012-07-30 13:40:41

...but has anyone pointed out the chief sin -- launching a critical attack based on the FIRST PREVIEW? There are rules!

That sin has been pointed out ad nauseum since mere moments after the tweet heard 'round the theatrical world entered the universe a week ago. You've got some catching up to do. ; )

And damn you for not allowing this now notorious thread to have come to a fitting end on Keith Haring's penis.