Brendan Maclean, Antoinette O'Halloran and More Set for Famous Spiegeltent's 2013 Season, Beg. Feb 5
Sydney songwriter Brendan Maclean, soon to star on the silver screen in the upcoming film The Great Gatsby; opera star and Spicks and Specs regular Antoinette O'Halloran; a new dance show from So You Think You Can Dance's Jason Coleman and his Ministry of Dance Production House; Melbourne theatre favourites Bernadette Robinson and Lucy Maunder; everyone's favourite moog-meister DJ Barry are among the shows added to The Famous Spiegeltent Season at Arts Centre Melbourne Forecourt from Tuesday 5 February to 21 April 2013.
New to the Spiegel Season:
• Starring in the soon-to-be-released Baz Luhrmann film The Great Gatsby, indie-pop singer Brendan Maclean will debut new material alongside a star-studded line-up of guests
• Antoinette Halloran - otherwise known as the girl who brings sexy back to the opera - bringing her burlesque sensibility to opera with her sensual arias of desire, lust, and longing
• Melbourne theatre favourite Lucy Maunder who will unplug and reboot the decadence and danger of last century's greatest songwriter, Irving Berlin
• For lovers of dance, Diamonds!, a new show created especially for the Famous Spiegeltent by Jason Coleman and his Ministry of Dance Production House in their first appearance - promises to be a hot ticket at The Famous Spiegeltent
• Award-winning, genre-defying, multi-instrumentalist Tom Dickins, will give an exclusive first full performance of his upcoming debut album, A Brief Case Of Madness; the album which has already broken records by becoming the most successful crowdfunded music project in Australian history
• The tent will also be home to the best soul-infused gospel acts in town, including Melbourne Singers of Gospel who take audiences on a journey from gospel to soul, from Motown to funk and rock in Higher and Higher and St Paul's Lutheran Church Choir and Melbourne Samoan Choir who will take to the stage for an uplifting afternoon event in The Gospel Hour
• To add to the already impressive line-up at Club Spiegel, DJ Barry aka Barry Morgan will bring his groovy tunes to the tent, electrifying his 1980 Farfisa organ to create some 21st century dancefloor beats in DJ Barry's Organ Beats Explosion before house band the Shuffle Club and guests take over to dance the night away
• Indigenous music pioneer Bart Willoughby will perform, best known for his fusion of reggae and rock, he has created anthems for his Indigenous and broader Australian fan base.
• Ireland's "Prince of Pipers", Finbar Furey, from legendary Irish band The Fureys, will bring his famed melodies and new songs from his latest album Colours to The Famous Spiegeltent
• Novalima, the Peruvian four-piece will play their blend of traditional Afro-Peruvian rhythms, dub reggae, chilled-out electronica and funky Latin beats.
• The vintage1920s interior of The Famous Spiegeltent makes it the perfect location for Antique Treasure Trove, newly confirmed for 'Other Adventures'- a new program featuring quirky interactive events to inspire, intrigue and educate. For two days over six sessions, audiences will be able to bring along their collectibles, heirlooms and treasures to have them appraised by the crème de la crème of experts from the Australian Antique and Art Dealers Association
• As part of the 2013 L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival Cultural Program, The Famous Spiegeltent hosts the Indigenous Fashion Runway, a unique event which promotes Indigenous fashion blending together culture, tradition and style. Aboriginal and Maori fashion designers, models, makeup artists and hairstylists will have the opportunity to showcase their skills, in an initiative which empowers them to reach their goals in the fashion and arts industry.
Arts Centre Melbourne presents The Famous Spiegeltent Season 2013 Arts Centre Melbourne, The Famous Spiegeltent on the Forecourt 5 February - 21 April 2013.
For information of all confirmed shows at The Famous Spiegeltent's Season 2013, visit http://spiegel.artscentremelbourne.com.au. For more information about what's on at Arts Centre Melbourne, visit artscentremelbourne.com.au or phone 1300 182 183. Become a fan of Arts Centre Melbourne on Facebook or follow @artscentremelb on Twitter.