THIS WEEK IN PICTURES: May 19-25
Whether you've been living under a rock for the past week, or you're just in the mood for a recap of everything theatre, BroadwayWorld's feature, 'This Week in Pictures' is here to satisfy your end of the week fix. Take a look below to catch up on the latest happenings from the Great White Way to the West End (and everywhere in between) with coverage of press events, rehearsals, opening nights and more!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: GODSPELL sings Schwartz, Paper Mill preps ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, New Dramtists honor Bernadette, and so much more!
For last week's biggest events: visit THIS WEEK IN PICTURES: May 12-18.
The 57th Annual Obie Awards were just given out at a ceremony at Webster Hall in Greenwich Village. Numbers from this season's top Broadway musicals, including “Summertime” performed by Joshua Henry and Sumayya Ali from the cast of Porgy & Bess and “Raglan Road” performed by David PatRick Kelly from the cast of Once, were entertainment for the evening. The ceremony kicked off with two numbers from newly minted Obie winner Ethan Lipton & His Orchestra from their show No Place to Go. Click here for full coverage from the event.
York Theatre Company presented the 8th Annual NEO 8 (an acronym for “New, Emerging, Outstanding”) on Monday, May 21, at The York Theatre at Saint Peter’s (Citicorp Building, entrance on East 54th Street, just east of Lexington Avenue). The event celebrated songwriters primed to pen the next generation of musicals. NEO 8 included songs by the following new musical theatre writers: Andrew Gerle, Jenny Giering, Joe Kinosian & Kellen Blair, Marisa Michelson, and Ryan Scott Oliver. Click here for full coverage from the concert!
The Cast of Once on This Island. Photo Credit: Jennifer Broski
On May 22, Paper Mill Playhouse hosted a performance preview for its new production of Once On This Island at The New 42nd Street Studios (229 W 42nd Street, 7th Floor). More than 20 years after its premiere, Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens are re-inventing their first musical with Tony-nominated director Thomas Kail (In the Heights, Lombardi, Magic/Bird), choreographer Bradley Rapier (So You Think You Can Dance, Jesus Christ Superstar) and new orchestrations by music director Lynne Shankel (Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Altar Boyz). For more photos of the cast in action, click here.
- Jay Scheib & More Set for The Kitchen's Winter 2014 Season
- Photo Flash: First Look at Louise Pitre as 'Rose' in GYPSY at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre
- Retired Chicago Bear Brian Urlacher Will Make Goodman Debut for Make-A-Wish Illinois, 12/27
- Cape May Stage Nominated for 'Favorite Theatre to See a Play' in JerseyArts.com People's Choice Awards
- Are You Following BWW Yet on Twitter & Facebook?
- Photo Flash: Shakina Nayfack Brings ONE WOMAN SHOW to Joe's Pub
- Act II Playhouse to Present LET'S PRETEND WE'RE FAMOUS, 1/7-26
- BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theater Workshop & New York Theatre Barn to Present YOUR HOLIDAY ASSIGNMENT IS...Concert, 12/16
- Spotlighters Theatre Cancels 12/14 INTO THE WOODS Children's Matinee
- LiveWire Chicago to Present ASSISTANCE, 2/9-3/16 at DCASE Storefront Theater