KINKY BOOTS to Kick Off National Tour on 9/4 in Las Vegas; First Wave of Dates Announced!
The producers of Kinky Boots , the six-time Tony Award-winning musical that brings together four-time Tony Award-winner Harvey Fierstein (Book) and Grammy Award-winning rock icon Cyndi Lauper (Tony Award-winner for Best Score for Kinky Boots), are pleased to announce the show's tour dates for the 2014-2015 season. Kinky Boots will launch its national tour at the Smith Center in Downtown Las Vegas (361 Symphony Park Avenue) on September 4, 2014.
Directed and choreographed by Tony Award-winner Jerry Mitchell, Kinky Boots opened on April 4, 2013 and continues to play to standing-room-only crowds nightly. The show, which has broken all box office records at the Hirschfeld Theatre, recouped its costs in October 2013, after just 30 weeks on Broadway.
The current tour schedule is as follows:
- Las Vegas, NV (The Smith Center) - September 4-14, 2014
- Tempe, AZ (ASU Gammage) - September 16-21, 2014
- San Diego, CA (San Diego Civic Center) - September 23-28, 2014
- Portland, OR (Keller Auditorium) - October 1-5, 2014
- Seattle, WA (The 5th Avenue Theatre) - October 7-26, 2014
- Denver, CO (The Buell Theatre) - October 29-November 9, 2014
- Los Angeles, CA (The Pantages) - November 11-30, 2014
- San Francisco, CA (Orpheum Theatre) - December 2-28, 2014
- Costa Mesa, CA (Segerstrom Center for the Arts) - December 30, 2014-January 11, 2015
- Detroit, MI (Fisher Theatre) - January 15-25, 2015
- Des Moines, IA (Des Moines Civic Center) - January 27-February 1, 2015
- Nashville, TN (Tennessee PAC) - February 3-8, 2015
- Houston, TX (Hobby Center) - February 10-22, 2015
- Durham, NC (Durham PAC) - March 10-15, 2015
- Charlotte, NC (Belk Theater) - March 17-22, 2015
- St. Louis (The Fabulous Fox Theatre) - March 24-April 5, 2015
- Cleveland, OH (Palace Theatre) - April 7-19, 2015
- Buffalo, NY (Shea's PAC) - April 21-26, 2015
- Philadelphia, PA (Forrest Theater) - April 28-May 10, 2015
- Rochester, NY (Auditorium Theatre) - May 12-17, 2015
- Memphis, TN (Orpheum Theatre) - May 19-24, 2015
- East Lansing, MI (Wharton Center) - May 26-31, 2015
- Grand Rapids, MI (DeVos Performance Hall) - June 2-7, 2015
- Providence, RI (Providence PAC) - June 9-14, 2015
- Schenectady, NY (Proctors) - June 16-21, 2015
- Hartford, CT (Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts) - June 23-28, 2015
- Minneapolis, MN (Orpheum Theatre) - July 28-August 2, 2015
- Boston, MA (Boston Opera House) - August 11-23, 2015
- Greenville, SC (The Peace Center) - September 1-6, 2015
Additional cities will be announced at a later date.
"We are so excited to take Kinky Boots from coast to coast, so that the entire country can share in the joyousness that our audiences on Broadway experience every night," said producer Daryl Roth. "And what a privilege it is to be the first Broadway show to launch a national tour at the beautiful new Smith Center. We look forward to an exciting opening night in Las Vegas next September," producer Hal Luftig added.
Kinky Boots took home six 2013 Tony Awards, the most of any show in the season, including Best Musical, Best Score (Cyndi Lauper), Best Choreography (Jerry Mitchell), Best Actor (Billy Porter), Best Orchestrations (Stephen Oremus), and Best Sound Design (John Shivers). The show also received the Drama League, Outer Critics Circle, and Broadway.com Awards for Best Musical and the Grammy Award for Best Musical Album, along with many other accolades.
In Kinky Boots,Charlie Price has reluctantly inherited his father's shoe factory, which is on the verge of bankruptcy. Trying to live up to his father's legacy and save his family business, Charlie finds inspiration in the form of Lola. A fabulous entertainer in need of some sturdy stilettos, Lola turns out to be the one person who can help Charlie become the man he's meant to be. As they work to turn the factory around, this unlikely pair finds that they have more in common than they ever dreamed possible... and discovers that when you change your mind about someone, you can change your whole world.
The design team for Kinky Boots includes Tony Award nominee David Rockwell (Scenic Design), Tony Award-winner Gregg Barnes (Costume Design), Tony Award-winner Kenneth Posner (Lighting Design), Tony Award-winner John Shivers (Sound Design), Josh Marquette (Hair Design), Randy Houston Mercer (Make-up Design), Telsey + Company, Justin Huff, CSA (Casting), with Musical Supervision, Arrangements and Orchestrations by Tony and Grammy Award-winner Stephen Oremus.
Kinky Boots is produced on Broadway by Daryl Roth and Hal Luftig, James L. Nederlander, Terry Allen Kramer, Independent Presenters Network, CJ E&M, Jayne Baron Sherman, Just for Laughs Theatricals/Judith Ann Abrams, Yasuhiro Kawana, Jane Bergere, Allan S. Gordon & Adam S. Gordon, Ken Davenport, Hunter Arnold, Lucy and Phil Suarez, Bryan Bantry, Ron Fierstein and Dorsey Regal, Jim Kierstead/Gregory Rae, BB Group/Christina Papagjika, Michael DeSantis/Patrick Baugh, Brian Smith/Tom and Connie Walsh, Warren Trepp, and Jujamcyn Theaters.
Photo Credit: Matthew Murphy