Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?

SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#1
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:12am
And if so do you have any suggestions to see/avoid? I'm going in just over 3 weeks and last went in April last year.

I'd ask over at the B'way board but I trust the judgement over here :) (Plus I'm a little scared!)

Also anyone who is familar with Boston who has any suggestions for there-theatre or otherwise I'm going there first so chip in!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#2
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:24am
See next to normal. A contemporary American drama sung in a pop/powerpop idiom. It's not a happy musical or even an easy one, but it is a powerful and rewarding one if you're willing to engage it.

The HAIR revival is supposed to be excellent, as is South Pacific. For fluff, 9 to 5 is good but if you're light sensitive you should watch out as it uses a light board instead of flats, drops, or traditional projections.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#2
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:27am
My current NY recommendations:
1. Next to Normal
2. Hair
3. God of Carnage
4. 9 to 5
5. West Side Story/South Pacific
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#3
Posted: 6/18/09 at 6:53am
Thanks, Next to Normal was one I was already considering as was Hair and I love Stephanie Block so 9 to 5 is tempting!

West Side story is out as we just saw the tour and the mother is with me so wont want to see it again so soon.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#4
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:00am
Would deffo say 9 to 5 or South Pacific then - fluffy and OAP friendly.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#5
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:03am
I agree, something new and fun with '9 To 5' and something she probably knows and loves from her younger days with 'South Pacific'.
Im there again in July.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#6
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:38am
Did you see 'In The Heights' last time you were over? If not, I recommend that.

And like others were saying...
next to normal
Hair
9 to 5

Also, it's getting mixed reviews but 'The Wiz' opens tonight. Actually you might just be missing that, but give it a look.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#7
Posted: 6/18/09 at 8:33am
lol I'd better not use the phrase 'oap friendly' I might get a slap! I just remembered that Mum has a bit of R&H aversion since a rather awful production of Carosel here not long ago, I may convince her though!

It's actually July I'm there too-17th-24th anyone know of any 'events' going on there I should know about (I know that's lazy and I should just use google!)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#8
Posted: 6/18/09 at 8:54am
I'm there 16th -21st!

WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#9
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:26am
"I'm there 16th -21st!"

Well, there's the biggest event of them all.

I agree with WishingOnlyWounds2, if you haven't seen In the Heights you should see that. I was in NYC the week before last and loved it. Also 9 to 5 is great fun, it's not just Stephanie J Block who is tempting, the 3 leading ladies are all brilliant.

Also yes, as everyone has said you should see Next to Normal since it is the show to see and everyone seems to love it, although didn't enjoy it. I guess I'm odd.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#10
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:35am
Your not alone, I hated it too.
'In The Heights' is OK but is it gonna be what your mum would like, I dont know you, but Im guessing not!
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#11
Posted: 6/18/09 at 9:49am
I didn't hate N2N but I didn't enjoy it. I love the music, I listen to the OCR a lot but was real disappointed when I saw it on stage.

And you may have a point about ITH, I didn't read the part about mum going too, so no, she may not like it.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#12
Posted: 6/18/09 at 10:07am
I am off to New York on Tuesday, I have booked tickets to see Billy Elliot x 2, Hair, South Pacific, West side Story. I hope to see while I am out there 9-5, Next to Normal, Rock of Ages, Little mermaid and Shrek also.

As you know I am one of the regulars on here and will keep everyone updated.

What I hear everyone says Next to Normal and Hair are a must see!

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#13
Posted: 6/18/09 at 10:08am
or 'see if you must'!
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#14
Posted: 6/18/09 at 10:10am
^^^
Next week, on the 25th I believe, Jenn Damiano will be out from next to normal, just a heads up.

broadwayunderstudies.com
^^^ That has some understudies listed if you guys wanna check before booking.

Go to "performance dates". Looks like Stephanie is going to be out of '9 to 5' next week as well.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
Updated On: 6/18/09 at 10:10 AM
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#15
Posted: 6/18/09 at 11:15am
Thanks all!

We saw ITH last time actually and I just had a conversation about that which went like this:

Mere: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?id you like In the Heights?
Mum: No. (pause) which one was that?
Me: Rapping about living in New York.
Mum: Oh. No.

Guess that clears that up then! We then had a conversation about everything we saw last year-highlights include, Young Frank was 'a bit of fun crap' Miss Patti was 'good but I don't need to see her again' and Cry Baby was 'oh yeah that one' ah my mother the theatre critic!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#16
Posted: 6/18/09 at 11:20am
'I don't need to see her again' - and so say all of us -classic!
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#17
Posted: 6/18/09 at 1:08pm
I would recommend:

9 to 5
Next to Normal
Hair
Billy Elliot---It is different from the UK production and great to see it with a different cast.

Rent will be in Boston from July 14th-26th with Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp.

Updated On: 6/18/09 at 01:08 PM
joe5 Profile Photojoe5 Profile Photo
joe5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#18
Posted: 6/18/09 at 1:18pm
http://www.artsboston.org/

Enjoy your trip, here is a great site for Boston.
Updated On: 6/18/09 at 01:18 PM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#19
Posted: 6/18/09 at 5:25pm
HAIR, HAIR , HAIR!

I absolutely loved it, it seemed totally up-to-the-moment, I can't wait to see it again in October. If it should transfer to London I'd be very tempted to audition (and, no, not just to get my kit off!).

LET THE SUNSHINE!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#20
Posted: 6/18/09 at 6:27pm
Wishing for wounds thanks for your advice, Stephanie out has put a spanner in the works now.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#21
Posted: 6/18/09 at 7:41pm
The absolute "must-see" show in New York is NEXT TO NORMAL. Of the other new season shows I'd also recommend HAIR.

Boston is a really beautiful city - full of history, beautiful parks, etc - and it's very easy to navigate. It's very much a walking city and anywhere that's too far to walk is easy to get to on the T (the Boston subway). Get a 7 day unlimited ride pass for just $15. So much to see - but the "must sees" are the gorgeous Boston Public Park, Copley Square and Quincy Market (great for lunch!). Don't know how long you're going to be there, but if you have time to take any coach tours, don't miss the day tour to Plymouth Plantation!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#22
Posted: 6/19/09 at 9:06am
Thanks all-Next to Normal and Hair are strong possabilites now with probably something else bought on tkts while there.

I've actually been trying to decide whether the Rent tour is worth it or not-on one hand I need something to wipe the memory of 'Rent Remixed' from my mind on the other the last time I saw the orginal Rent it was so good I wouldn't want anything to distract from that!

Also I've been to Boston before so this time am looking for day trips so that Plymouth Plantation one may indeed make my list!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#23
Posted: 6/19/09 at 9:17am
If you're looking to doday tours from Boston, there's one to Newport, Rhode Island which is also really great (it takes in the Marble House and the Breakers mansion, which are both fabulous). But it only goes on a Sunday. Salem is another really nice and interesting place to visit (either on a coach tour or you can easily get there by train from North Station) - or Cape Cod! So many great places you can get to in a day from Boston!

I've had two great visits to Boston - and am already looking forward to being there again in October.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
joe5 Profile Photojoe5 Profile Photo
joe5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Any West-Enders Been to NY lately?#24
Posted: 6/19/09 at 10:07am
http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/

As Bob mentioned, you might want to check out Cape Cod. Provincetown is colorful and it's a great day trip !

http://www.salemferry.com/ Ferry service to Salem.

Updated On: 6/19/09 at 10:07 AM