Page: 1

Laughter, Music and Magic in the West End.

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With Derren Brown opening his new show Enigma tonight at the Adelphi and with comedies such as Dylan Moran, Ross Noble and Ed Byrne set to open at the Apollo and the Vaudeville in the next few months. I ask whether anyone has seen any stand up, musicians or one man shows in the West End or on Broadway and what their experiences were.

I saw Eddie Izzard at the Lyric Theatre and it was excellent with Eddie on fine form given that he had not done a UK show in 5 years, he's doing a UK tour at the end of the year including a gig at the O2 and Wembley Arena although they will no where no near the same intimacy compared to the gig at the Lyric. I am going to see Derren Brown next Monday and having seen his previous shows on television, I'm excited to see him live for the first time.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw Eddie Izzard's first show at the Ambassador's (not to mention at the old Gilded Balloon). Inspired stuff!

I would prefer musicals or plays in West End theatres, though, I guess.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've never really been into Stand Up comedy. In fact, I've never even heard of any of the guys you mention. LOL

I have seen some one man shows though - and even one woman shows! All of them were absolutely fantastic:
Mandy Patinkin - the first time he was in London, at the Almeida back in the mid 90s. Still one of the best nights I have ever spent in a theatre.
Barbara Cook - at the Lyric a few years ago. Simply heavenly.
Michael Feinstein - at the Shaw theatre last January. Sensational.
Maria Freidman - at Trafalgar studios last year. Awesome!

Also, last summer at the Edinburgh Fringe, I saw a one woman show by Maggie Simpson called "Queen Of Wyoming" - which was an autobiographical monologue with songs in which she laid bare her life as the daughter of the governor of Wyoming and how she sunk into the depths of despair through drug abuse and came out on the other side. It was a pretty incredible theatrical experience.

THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 6/15/09 at 10:08 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In the 80s and into the 90s it was very common to have seasons of comics, singers etc etc etc all doing West End runs. Great way to keep a house open between big productions.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with Mama, it's a great way to fill theatre between runs especially for a month and since most stand up and musicians can sell out their tours pretty quickly and it's benefits theatre owners since they can have rent payed and staff employed.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As much as I love so many of todays comedians (Peter Kay-fab!) and singers*, I will simply will not go and see then in a stadium.
*Kylie doen't come into this ! LOL

You never found Les Dawson or Judy Garland and al the other greats years ago in a bloody big stadium. They always played 2 or 3 week seasons in 2000 seat theatres, namely The London Palladium, and not 2 nights to 80,000- thats just greed.

I saw Bette Midler at The Palladium (her only UK appearances! ) in the 70s and now she plays 30,000 seat stadiums, 70% of that audience can only just about see her leave alone hear her properly.
Updated On: 6/15/09 at 11:34 AM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would never go to see a comedian at an arena because you lose so much intimacy. Arenas are fine for big concerts like Britney, Kylie, Madonna etc but for singers like Rufus Wainwright, Tori Amos etc their style of music would get lost in huge arena which is why something like The Hammersmith Apollo which while quite big is suitable for most stand ups and singers.

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Mama, I agree entirely. I would never see a comedian at a stadium, might as well watch them on TV. I have seen Blue Man Group at the o2 (from row K so pretty close) and could imagine how bad the view would be from even the front of the tiered seats. The upper level must be truly awful.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I recently saw Rob Brydon at The Apollo, Shaftesbury Avenue and I was very impressed. I went along expecting a night of stand-up comedy but was pleasantly surprised to find that the show offered much more. Most of the performance centred on Rob's interaction with members of the audience which made me think that every performance must have been very different. I never got the feeling that he was running through pre-planned material but was genuinely bouncing ideas about based on the people in the audience. He was able to work in his very funny impressions - Tom Jones, Anthony Hopkins, a young and older Michael Caine (as he said, so up-to-date). One of the best comedy presentations in a West End theatre I have seen along with Robin Williams.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This guy has been doing his act for nearly 25 years and he is fantastic. The last time i saw him is over 20 years ago.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Jack Dee.
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you, Mrs Dee!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Heres your laughter......

re: Laughter, Music and Magic in the West End.

Heres your music.....

**Thats four weeks, twice a day and three times on Wednesdays and Saturdays!

....and heres your magic!

Updated On: 6/15/09 at 08:07 PM
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Karen Kay, for those who don't know, is the mother of Jay Kay (Jamiroquai). I saw Paul Daniels last year in The Best Of British Variety Show and, I must say, he was bloody brilliant. I have no idea how he did his magic tricks - totally mind-blowing. I'm going to see the show again this year with Cannon and Ball, Tom O'Connor, Faith Brown, Bucks Fizz, Roger DeCourcey and Nookie Bear and Norman Collier. How could you resist?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who said Variety is dead?
I saw 'The Best Of' also John and will be going again this year.

A DVD was made of last years show.
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, but a DVD is a bit too high-tech for this type of show (maybe a black and white 8mm). I saw it at The Anvil, Basingstoke last year and this year I'll be at The Assembly Halls Theatre in Royal Tunbridge Wells in September. Can't wait!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PS: The Nolans are touring this year!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw that on loose woman yesterday, it will be, eh, interesting?