La Cage being Dragged to Broadway.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
La Cage being Dragged to Broadway.#1
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:19am
The acclaimed, award-winning London revival of Jerry Herman's La Cage aux Folles is headed to Broadway.

The producer of the Tony-winning Best Revival of a Play, The Norman Conquests, announced in the Tony press room that their next Broadway production will be a transfer of the hit West End revival of La Cage aux Folles.

Producer Sonia Friedman said the production will open on Broadway next spring and will feature its Olivier Award-winning star Douglas Hodge.

Updated On: 6/8/09 at 02:19 AM
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#2
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:23am
...and they will lose their shirts.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#2
Posted: 6/8/09 at 2:37am
It better be a limited run, or Sonia Friedman is going to go broke.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#3
Posted: 6/8/09 at 6:02am
She said last earlier this year that it would be a limited 12 week season on Broadway.
She is a very clever lady with a great deal of inflence on Broadway and a lot of friends there.

Lets not be negative about us sending a hit production of a show that Broadway itself messed up just a few years back.

I'd sit thru 'Gone With The Wind' twice again before seeing that mess again that they put on atage at the Marquess.

I guess she'll take Doug Hodge because of the award and then get an American in for George.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#4
Posted: 6/8/09 at 6:06am
The 2004 revival was a mess... Not sure if this is right but didn't Harvery Fierstein walk out at the interval when he saw it or something?

The new revival should definately go to Broadway, if its a hit here it will do just aswell overthere. If they are happy to do a 12 week season and done the math on that short run shorely they are banking on running longer to make $$$ ... which I can see happening. This new revival is La Cage perfection.

It could mean two menier shows running on Broadway ... La Cage & Night Music
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#5
Posted: 6/8/09 at 6:08am
She said last earlier this year that it would be a limited 12 week season on Broadway.

Hopefully just like the "strictly limited 12 week" London production, currently booking through to January next year. re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.

Would be great if Phil Quast could go with it, but they'd have probably announced those two together if that was going to happen. A strong Georges isn't as crucial as a strong Albin, but in the London production Quast is currently proving what a great part it can be with the right actor. Denis Lawson was good, but he was really just a foil to Doug Hodge.

But on the bright side: if he doesn't go, all the more Quast for us!
Updated On: 6/8/09 at 06:08 AM
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#6
Posted: 6/8/09 at 6:20am
I don't think it will be this year. I've a feeling, but the show is booking well, they may close it Jan/Feb 2010 here and use the set and take it to Broadway to open March 2010
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#7
Posted: 6/8/09 at 8:52am
I think the Menier La Cage would do quite well on Broadway and considering that Gypsy had a revival 5 years after the Bernadette Peters revival then anything is possible and I hope Sonia Friedman does go through with it as she's had success on Broadway and the Tonys with Boeing Boeing, The Norman Conquests etc As for a theatre, I think The Music Box or Studio 54 would do a good choice.

A Little Night Music would do well on Broadway as a limited run but I'm not sure if the Menier would want to compete with itself for best revival although I believe they have different producers so they could be on Broadway at the same time. The Walter Kerr Theatre would be perfect for ALNM IMO.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#8
Posted: 6/8/09 at 8:55am
Perhaps at a larger Off Broadway theatre?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#9
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:43am
Didn't La Cage win best revival and other Tony's for iots revival, heard before that the last Broadway production was awful.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#10
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:46am
They are not, at the moment, waiting for the London production to close, it wil be a new production for New York.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#11
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:50am
The show did win Best Revival (against Pacific Overtures and Sweet Charity) - it wasn't a hugely great year for revivals and all three never really hit off fantastically.

The show also won the Tony Award for Best Choreography (Jerry Mitchell) - I thought Sweet Charity should have won this. The Choreography was good - too good for the shows context really - but that was the downfall of the revival it strayed away from the book and focused on the camp and glitz too much.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#12
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:52am
Thats ALL i remember was 2 or 3 of the production numbers. The rest was absolute ****e that was basically put together by numbers for tourists.
Vile!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#13
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:55am
Oh i LOVED the revival on Broadway, i watched that with my Aunt and the Marques and it was like a brilliant car crash lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#14
Posted: 6/8/09 at 9:55am
Ha!

The worst revival at the moment is Guys and Dolls... have you seen? Just hilarious
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#15
Posted: 6/8/09 at 7:10pm
I'm seeing the London production next month (:
Very excited! Great news for Broadway!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#16
Posted: 6/8/09 at 7:27pm
It will be good for broadway if they take this productions to heart ! i mean they loved sunday done by the meineir so lets wait and see !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Shawk Profile PhotoShawk Profile Photo
Shawk
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#17
Posted: 6/8/09 at 7:51pm
Quast has resisted entreaties to perform in the US before... not sure that a limited engagement would tempt him. We US folks can hope, I guess.
'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#18
Posted: 6/9/09 at 9:09am
I will admit that the Marquis Theatre production of La Cage Aux Follis does hold a special place in my heart. It was the last show that I went to with my grandfather and the last Broadway show period that he went to with my grandfather before he died. And, I must say that my memories are more positive about that night as a whole rather then the show itself.

That being said, I am looking forward to this production but I do think that it might be a hard sell considering that Broadway has had a revival of this in very recent memory.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#19
Posted: 6/9/09 at 9:47am
Special memories like that can sometimes make shows wonderful regardless of the productions itself.

I think La Cage will be very successful over there - people were disspointed with the show and many of the people that called for that revival are still waiting for a revival of something that delivers what they want - and with this more minimal show it means less expense and "bums to fill on seats" which means it has much more of a chance - and I think it will get the audiences in.
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#20
Posted: 6/9/09 at 9:47am
Special memories like that can sometimes make shows wonderful regardless of the productions itself.

I think La Cage will be very successful over there - people were disspointed with the show and many of the people that called for that revival are still waiting for a revival of something that delivers what they want - and with this more minimal show it means less expense and "bums to fill on seats" which means it has much more of a chance - and I think it will get the audiences in.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#21
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:53pm
A limited run at the Helen Hayes. With a small upgrade of the set design and lighting. George played by Tim Curry.

If they comply with all my demands, I may consider buying a plane ticket :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#22
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:57pm
DEV for gods sake get yourself into casting!!!!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#23
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:11pm
How can the mernier production of La Cage with Derek Hodges in New York possible fail?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: La Cage Being dragged to Broadway.#24
Posted: 6/11/09 at 5:52pm
'I think the Menier La Cage would do quite well on Broadway and considering that Gypsy had a revival 5 years after the Bernadette Peters revival then anything is possible and I hope Sonia Friedman does go through with it as she's had success on Broadway and the Tonys with Boeing Boeing, The Norman Conquests etc As for a theatre, I think The Music Box or Studio 54 would do a good choice.

A Little Night Music would do well on Broadway as a limited run but I'm not sure if the Menier would want to compete with itself for best revival although I believe they have different producers so they could be on Broadway at the same time. The Walter Kerr Theatre would be perfect for ALNM IMO.'

Looks like your dream might come true, A Little Night music might play the Walter Kerr.