Page: 1

London in late September: are these good choices?

everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Going to London in late September, as it'll be about 18 months since my last trip over. I'm holding these tickets until I decide. Thoughts?

Priscilla
Sister Act
War Horse
Oliver
Love's Labour's Lost (Globe)

Planning to buy Streetcar at the Donmar when it goes on sale. Anything else I should try while I'm there?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Priscilla, Sister Act, War Horse and Oliver are certainly shows that have been talked about on here, with great affection.

I would rather see the stunning La Cage aux Folles, than Priscilla.

Have not seen War Horse as not into play, but fellow friends on here have loved it.

I know nothing of love's Labour's Lost, but any trip to the Globe will be memorable!

Do just have 5 slots?
Updated On: 6/1/09 at 03:25 AM
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great choices.

I would suggest you go see Oliver on a Wednesday or Thursday evening when the alternate Nancy, Tamsin Carroll, is on. She is a very accomplished and respected musical theatre actress in her native Australia, and is an incredible Nancy ... the same cannot be said for the normal Nancy, Jodie Prenger, who was cast on a television show.

Also, try and see La Cage aux Folles. The cast in late September will be John Barrowman and Phillip Quast, both big names.
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm in the minority, but I say Priscilla should be avoided at all costs. Check the National or see La Cage instead.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seems like a very good mix of shows. The only obvious one that is missing though is La Cage Aux Folles. Not to be missed!

Sister Act and Priscilla are fantastic, hope you enjoy them.
DeNada
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Well, it really depends on what you like. How do you like your musicals? What sort of plays do you like?

My comments on the ones you've listed:

Priscilla - not seen, not my thing
Sister Act - very camp but good fun, a bit forgettable though
War Horse - incredible, hope it's still running then
Oliver - brilliant production, slightly iffy cast
Love's Labours - no idea I'm afraid

Playwise, if it's still on then I'd heartily recommend Arcadia at the Duke of Yorks if you like Stoppard (even if you don't it's a great production). Not sure what's on at the National in September other than All's Well That Ends Well which I haven't seen yet but it sounds like an interesting production - unfortunately Phedre closes in August. And Streetcar sounds like a fantastic idea, what a killer cast!

(oh, almost forgot - see An Inspector Calls at the Novello, it's a classic production)

I really didn't like La Cage when I saw it (I thought it rather dated and twee, frankly) but that's a minority opinion.

It's hard to recommend musicals at the moment because frankly I don't think there are many good ones on. We don't know what's taking the Adelphi or the Comedy yet post-Joseph and Sunset Boulevard but maybe we'll see something interesting pop in for a bit. Three months is a long time in the West End, longer than a lot of shows run...

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I'd give Priscilla a miss, and definitely go to La Cage instead.
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the tips! I happened to have seen La Cage at the Menier in early 2008, and really loved it. Perhaps it is worth a second look, I am tempted to see John in the role.

I'm looking to be coming in on a Thursday morning, leaving the following Tuesday, so if I do the Globe on a Sunday, I could conceivable do 7-8 shows altogether, if I work it right.

By the way, as a New Yorker, I envy that you have matinees on different days!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008