Susan F*****G Boyle

tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#2
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:07am
hahaha

well she is scottish i suppose and that is what they're known for.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#2
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:08am
I love her!
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#3
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:10am
I admire her for the money she is clearly going to make.

i stick by what i say that i don't think she is anything special talent wise, there are hundreds of people in musical theatre like her out there who are far better, but i take my hat off to her in the fact that she's going to make ALOT of money, and is by far going to be the biggest success story of that show.

and to be fair, i'd tell someone to f**k off if they were harrasing me
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#4
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:11am
Brilliant! Worth voting for her for that re: Susan F*****G Boyle

Reminds me of one of Shaun Locke's stand up bits 'Sir there's no need to swear' 'Actually I think you'll find it's situations for this swearing was invented for'
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#5
Posted: 5/28/09 at 7:16am
I agree that she's no 'out of the ordinary' talent, she's only famous for being ugly to be blunt...but, to the public she does stand for not judging a book by its cover and they lap that crap up. Plus, we as theatre lovers know how talented some really are...but the general public is unaware of that and view people like Leona Lewis as the epitome of vocal talent.

I wish her all the luck because she has been put on a very high up pedestal, and knocking people down from where we put them is the publics favourite game.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#6
Posted: 5/28/09 at 7:35am
im so sick of hearing about this woman
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#7
Posted: 5/28/09 at 7:46am
I've just watched her live performance of Memory and... Hell, it was bad : off key at times and out of tempo... Goosh they will suffer at the Queen's theatre if she is in Les Mis' !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#8
Posted: 5/28/09 at 10:13am
...but she'll be fab at the stage door.
'Fcuk off ya c***s I ain't signing no F****** autographs!'

boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#9
Posted: 5/28/09 at 11:07am
Haha. I would pay for a Les Mis ticket just to see the stage door :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#11
Posted: 5/28/09 at 3:05pm
I think the young lad who sang 'And I am telling you' gave a much better vocal performance than Susan Boyle. And he's had how much press? Pretty much zero unless you live in Wales, and even then it still isn't as much as Susan Boyle gets.

The more the media pushes her in my face, the more I dislike her.

And toanythingtaboo, you got it spot on - before I got interested in musical theatre I thought pop stars and all those types had great voices, now I laugh at myself for being so unaware back then. Many of the really amazing voices are in musical theatre, and Susan Boyle is no-where near that standard.

I hate the idea of her going into Les Mis, but as long as it isn't the tour she goes into it wont affect me.

As for why she is in all of the papers today - she may have been justified if people were hassling her, but the reports that she lost her temper when Pierce praised the young lad for his vocal performance make me want to tell her to shut the f**k up. I hope that isn't true.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#12
Posted: 5/28/09 at 3:53pm
Susan Boyle as Fantine I believe would be extremely problematic. Susan Boyle as Eponine or Cosette would be laughably absurd. But hasn't she been discussed for the role of Madame Thenardier? Seems rather fitting, I would think. It's a small, rather thankless role that is far less vocally demanding than anything else in the show. As long as she receives good direction, I don't see any reason why she couldn't pull it off. If she's just thrown on stage and only given blocking with minimal vocal and stage rehearsals (which is pretty standard for replacements in long-running shows), then I expect she will be as disappointing as...well...hundreds of other "professional" actors I've seen over the last 20+ years. Her performance couldn't possibly be any worse than virtually anyone in the cast of Starlight Express when I saw it in 1999. It wasn't so much of a case of a couple of actors phoning it in as it was the entire cast was holding a conference call.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Hulmeman Profile PhotoHulmeman Profile Photo
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#13
Posted: 5/28/09 at 5:44pm
How about Susan Boyle as Mama Morton?
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#14
Posted: 5/28/09 at 5:51pm
She's a one trick pony...she shouldn't be in any show, she can sing a good version of I Dreamed a Dream, but has shown no signs of being able to do anything else. Let her have a 3minute stint in a cabaret bar somewhere, and let her get on with her life.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#15
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:00pm
I'm trying to read between the lines Sam, would you go to that cabaret bar to see her then??!!!!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#16
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:05pm
No, but it'd be the best place for her. If she was in Les Mis, everyone would go, expecting her to sing 'That Song of the Tele'. If she gets to do 'That Song of the Tele' every night for a certain amount of time...it would please everyone.
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
Hulmeman
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#17
Posted: 5/28/09 at 6:10pm
Good point, well made, but I was only joking!

What songs could Ms Boyle sing in her cabaret act?

I'm thinking a medley of your old favourite choons from "Brigafriggindoom"!!!!!
Paterson
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#18
Posted: 5/29/09 at 3:12am
We need to remember that the world wide over-reaction was not engineered by Susan herself. She just entered a talent competition and did a pretty decent job of her first audition. The rest was down to our misconceptions and meda hype.

Her performance of Memories was pretty awful, but she was so stressed she wasn't singing to her potential, so I don't think it deserves the backlash she's getting in some quarters.

My understanding is that Susan was starved of oxygen at birth, which has led to "learning difficulties". I'm not sure if it's anything specific, or a polite way of saying that she's not particularly bright and struggles socially. I know she's never really had a regular job, but is popular in her community and helps out with voluntary projects.

If she can earn a living from singing, good for her, but the people around her need to make sure she isn't thrown into something she can't handle, and being honest, very few people could handle the sort of sudden attention she has had.

The lad from Wales should be glad he's not had her attention or he'd have the backlash, but he has made the front page of the tabloids a couple of times, so he's had a lot more attention than local press. Unfortunately some of that press has been the revelation that he's not quite the amateur we're all led to believe, and that his original audition song that he appeared to sing without rehearsal was lifted straight out of that touring production of Thriller Live he'd been starring in. They need to play that down and let the actual singing do the talking. He might have less chance of winning, but his image after the show is over will be better and that's vital for longevity.
K2503 Profile PhotoK2503 Profile Photo
K2503
Understudy
Understudy
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#19
Posted: 5/29/09 at 3:25am
The post from "Paterson" is the best comment I have seen thus far about this whole situation.

We "Brits" like to put people way up high in the shortest time possible but then just love to shoot them down again.

Give her a break - For someone from her background to have such sudden intrusive and overwhelming attention is gonna be hard to handle. I do not think anyone could handle that. Remember it is a TV show to make certain people a lot of money - and there is no such thing as bad publicity.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#20
Posted: 5/29/09 at 3:52am
Didnt Cameron say he'd rather have her as the bird woman in mary poppins than in les mis?
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#21
Posted: 5/29/09 at 5:55am
This "backlash" is still tiny in thee greater scheme of things. I haven't looked for it myself, but I have seen comment that the silly public generally are claimig that her version of "Memory" was better than Elaine Paige. And although I haven't seen it, that is actually what I would have expected, because that reflects the level of understanding and competence of the general public. They haven't got the first clue what constitutes good!

But in truth, even if she was the full ticket, this will have been a desperately difficult experience for her. And if she is a sandwich short, then she really isn't likely to be able to cope with the upside, let alone the downside when it all falls away again. That is the tough bit, when there will be no one to soften the impact either! And if the public swearing at Piers Morgan on television (complimenting the Welsh boy) is anything to go by (which it is), then she has believed all the hype to the hilt to a dangerous extemt. And she isn't someone who should be exploited in this way.

But if she doesn't win, and the Welsh boy does, that would be a travesty as well. He has talent, but I am appalled that the lessons of the child stars from the past haven't been learnt. There have too many tragedies. It doesn't do them good in the long run! So if he has genuine potential, much better that he waits until older when he will at least have a better chance of dealing with the pressures.

And much as I don't think singers should be in this competition anyway, when they have their own showcase in the X-Factor, I wouldn't rule out that young male soprano yet. His "Nessun Dorma" was not the best audition song, when it loses it's appeal as sung that high. It was more a demonstration of capability. But that is a very rare voice, especially as his speaking voice is not abnormal, and I hope the exposure at least gets him the training he needs.
WestEnd2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#22
Posted: 5/29/09 at 6:07am
"I wouldn't rule out that young male soprano yet. His "Nessun Dorma" was not the best audition song, when it loses it's appeal as sung that high. It was more a demonstration of capability. But that is a very rare voice, especially as his speaking voice is not abnormal, and I hope the exposure at least gets him the training he needs."

I think too many people are 'freaked out' by Gregg Pritchard for him to win. I hope I'm wrong. Although I am totally biased because I used to go to school and work with him. Needless to say I shall be voting a lot tonight. Either way, like you said ladybegood, I hope he gets the training he deserves from this.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#23
Posted: 5/29/09 at 6:26am
And another thought.....There apparently was an announcement on "This Morning", albeit I didn't see it myself, that ALW had opportunistically effectively jumped on the Susan Boyle bandwagon to offer her something in one of his shows. And I did see reference somewhere to a soothsayer or such like in "Love Never Dies" and that she is recording whatever for the concept album. Lord (sic!) knows how much truth there is in that, but if there is any in reality, I really hope he has the nous to step back from it. Because that could be one that turns round to bite. And much as most on here love to hate everything to do with him for the sake of it, and would be glad to see that, I wouldn't!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Susan F*****G Boyle#24
Posted: 5/29/09 at 7:00am
I simply don't understand why people are so nasty about her, she has done absolutely nothing wrong.
Yes, ALW did say on This Morning that he wanted to use her in an specified future production.
The latest mention of these two in the same sentence is that she may play the part of The Fortune Teller in 'Love Never Dies'. A nobody knows the story or anything about the work as yet its hard to say how she will fit into this.