Page: 1

Kenwright's tour of Evita

Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kenwright's tour of Evita#1
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:29pm
ok so I went to the mayflower southampton this afternoon to see Evita. i like evita and had seen the adelphi production a couple of years ago and i loved that production. But this interpretation seemed to make me get a sense of what the original stagging was like, or thats what it felt like to me. i loved the set, and i loved rachel wooding as Eva Peron. But i was not keen on the Peron. Even before the show started i kinda felt gutted cause we had the good afternoon and welcome to this performance of evita blah blah blah then came " at this performance the role of che will be played by ..... whoever it was " i felt gutted cause i had heared alot of good things about shamus. We also had the misstress understudy who is on for about 10 mins so i wasnt to bothered. In certain scenes some actors singing was lost because of the orchestra so in some scenes i didnt even hear what they were singing and i was sat slap bang in the middle of row B so meh ! their curtain was very nice idea with the idea of the argentine flag ! so over all it was good !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Clark_MD Profile PhotoClark_MD Profile Photo
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#2
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:45pm
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita

Glad You Enjoyed It!
When we first started Evita i loved (and still do) the show gauze...

The lettering of 'EVITA' and the image which the letters are cut out of is an archive painting done of one of the rallies that Eva spoke at...

Now theres a completely unuseful piece of info ha!

The Artist Formally Known As 'Anon2'
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#2
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:48pm
thats a very nice pic ! was it taken in the mayflower ? and are you still in the show ?
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#3
Posted: 4/18/09 at 2:57pm
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita

that was taken on my old phone when we first opened in Liverpool in May last year....i left after the 2nd leg of the tour after months of luggin set haha....#
I did however visit the crew again this week at the mayflower and took this....

Updated On: 4/18/09 at 02:57 PM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#4
Posted: 4/18/09 at 3:14pm
Also saw it this week. You did not miss a thing not seeing Seamus, he was the weakest link. Ok voice but weak acting.

Rachael Wooding I thought was a sensation, best Eva ive seen. I cant praise her enough.

The production as a whole is the best Kenwright has done for ages. Loved the set, loved the staging (really liked the staging of Rainbow High). MUCH MUCH MUCH superior to the rest West End version in my view, which to me was just lazy and boring.

We also had the understudy mistress, and I thought she had a very sweet and nice voice. Peron I actually preferred to Philip Quast, not as hammy.

Also its the first show ive seen at The Mayflower in a while with perfect sound mix.

tommo2k Profile Phototommo2k Profile Photo
tommo2k
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#5
Posted: 4/19/09 at 10:56am
Saw this in Southampton too. Seamus was on and was OK, but like others have said Rachael Wooding was better. The best cast member for me was the mistress (understudy). Me and my partner were in Bella Italia and some of the male cast members were in there before the show (being very loud and a bit annoying I must add) and I think I overheard one saying that the girl who plays the mistress fell and injured herself so that is probably why there has been an understudy for so long. Overall, I prefered the west end version in terms of vibrancy but the staging of this version was better and the second act was far superior to the first. Rachael really shone as the older Eva.
Upcoming Shows: 9 to 5 (Birmingham), Priscilla (Wimbledon), Matilda (London), Cats (Manchester) and others TBC.
Updated On: 4/19/09 at 10:56 AM
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#6
Posted: 4/19/09 at 11:51am
i very much have to agree with that last comment !
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wicked212
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#8
Posted: 4/19/09 at 1:50pm
we had the tour of Evita in Derry for two weeks and the whole thing was just brilliant. Having seen the revival at the adelphi Racheal Wooding is a far better Eva and shines for the entire show. lets just say that she must be exhausted doing 8 or 9 shows per week. In Derry she played every show apart from The monday night of week 2 and the first matinee of the second week.
I also thought that the orchestra was over powering at times but they sounded amazing. For once it looked like kenwright splashed out a bit for this.
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#9
Posted: 4/19/09 at 1:59pm
well it was nice for once !
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#10
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:02pm
I saw this in Cardiff last year and was overwhelmed. I saw Louise Dearman and can't imagine anybody doing this role any better justice than her. I found a clip of Wooding singing Buenos Aires and was not too fussed by her. I know its unfair to judge by one clip and I'm not but I still can't imagine her being better than Louise was. I agree that Sheamus (spelling?) was the weakest link, he appeared very cocky and struggled in High Flying Adored on more than occasion. I loved the Peron and was lucky enough to see the original casting for the mistress who made me cry form her one song! That's acting for you!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
wicked212
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#11
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:45pm
your right the clip of Racheal Wooding singin Buenos Aires does her no justice. In fact i originally wanted to see Louise Dearman and was gutted when I found out that she was not going to be on that leg of the tour. Seamus I thought was ok - Matt Rawle from the Adelphi production was much better and had an outstanding voice. The mistress that was in the tour in Derry was Niki Mae and I think that the rest of the company remains the same since it started at the Empire and the only replacement was Racheal taking over for Louise. I have never heard a better version of Another Suitcase that the one that Niki sang, If only there was a cast recording of the show.
Here is alink to Racheal Wooding singing dont cry for me argentina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOPuCE80cA
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#12
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:50pm
Buenos aires sounds the same every performance....Eva is on a Clck Track :) and believe it or not - apart from the "Peron, Peron,Peron,Peron" chants in 6 part harmony - Buenos Aires and the chants are the only click track in the show,...
wicked212
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#13
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:53pm
Why would they do that - go on you may as well tell us the rest of the songs that they use a click track for.
Where u in the orchestra for the show clark_md
Updated On: 4/19/09 at 02:53 PM
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#14
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:58pm
no i worked in the show management...

The click track is only used on Eva in Buenos Aires and the chants of 'PERON!, PERON!, PERON' -

The latter being is easier as the harmony is very difficult (6 parts - clashes like hell!!)

and For eva in buenos aires because she is doing energetic choreography so she doesn't sound out of breath :)
wicked212
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#15
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:04pm
thats understandable but after seeing the dancing she does in that number. Very well done they way they do the bus.
You can also tell that the PERON PERON PERON is recorded and that is also understandable - far to big of a risk.
Brilliant production though. On Kenwrights website the casting at certain venues is not confirmed. I wonder who is leaving. Racheal Wooding has an audition in London and she flew back for that during her monday off
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#16
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:06pm
All the principals are staying onto the next leg of the tour and have extended their contracts - 8 of the ensemble are leaving at the end of this leg...
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#17
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:11pm
The young girl singing the solo in Santa Evita is on click track too surely?
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#18
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:13pm
me bad - yes little girl was recorded way back in April 08!
wicked212
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#19
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:30pm
i totally forgot about that one - what a voice that girl had.
What show are you on at the minute clark_md
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#20
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:35pm
The last show i did was a regional production of Spend Spend Spend in Cumbria -

Looking to get back into touring in September.. (ish) lol
tommo2k Profile Phototommo2k Profile Photo
tommo2k
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#21
Posted: 4/20/09 at 4:09am
Are you sure Rainbow High is not also on a click track for Rachael Wooding as when I saw it, it looked like she was miming although I can't see why that would be as there is not exactly a demanding dance routine to go with it.
Upcoming Shows: 9 to 5 (Birmingham), Priscilla (Wimbledon), Matilda (London), Cats (Manchester) and others TBC.
Clark_MD
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#22
Posted: 4/20/09 at 7:00am
nope Rainbow High is done live....
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kenwright's tour of Evita#23
Posted: 7/1/09 at 6:18pm
Just got back from seeing this in Newcastle

Rachael Wodding was fantastic as Eva - Star of the show. You must love me was so emotional.

Loved how the opening was done.
Loved the way the whole story worked, haven't seen the film and not overly familiar with the score so enjoyed it very much.

I hated the fact that the little girl was BALTEZ miming, absolutely terrible. Why not find someone who can actually do the role. Also not too keen on the set, with the people coming on to roll it on and off all the time.