The Mayflower to shut it's doors....

CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Mayflower to shut it's doors....#1
Posted: 4/2/09 at 5:53pm
..... for the summer!

"The Mayflower Theatre will be closed for major 1.6 million development to the backstage area during the summer from June to the end of August.

This major development will create a new ?get in? & scene dock facility on the western side of the theatre allowing easier access, ensuring facilities are up to date and can cope with the new demands from touring productions.

The conference and meeting room facilities will still be open during the summer, and the box office will be open as normal.

During the summer, the theatre will be holding a series of master-classes and workshops in local venues. These will be led by theatre professionals including Mark McGann, and Earl Carpenter, further details will be on mayflower.org.uk.

The Theatre re-opens at the end of August for the packed Autumn season including Quadrophenia, High School Musical 2, and the West End production of The Sound of Music with Connie Fisher."

So after Dreamboats and Petticoats finishes on 30th May, we will be shut until 26th August!

This should create great new opportunities and facilities, however, surely a little foolish to do this during the usually busy summer season!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fantastic news!
Most theates renovate etc during te summer, they won't close for the panto season.

Elmokid Profile PhotoElmokid Profile Photo
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
Don't most regional theatre's shut down at some point in the summer, or have i made this up in my mind?
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, most grab a week or two for maintenance mid summer and also the week before the panto or Christmas show opens.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
See, in my mind the time to close would be march through to may! And then have a show for children in the summer!
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
ah i see. thanks MamasDoin'Fine for clearing that up :)
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But they've never really done that before so why now? A lot of kids are out of the country on family holidays these days. Most theatres just take in whatever tours are out there.
Sadly, summer variety seasons area thing of the past!
18 weeks in Bournemouth or Blackpool are long gone!
Elmokid
Understudy
Understudy
I am very excited that it's getting money spent on it, it was the first theatre I ever went to years ago and being my local regional theatre i'm there on a regular basis.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I worked there before it had completed its transition to the wonderful Mayflower thats know today. It was an absolute hell hole and Equity were often brought in about the backstage conditions.
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have said many times that it is my favourite theatre, and it is great that I live just 10 minutes by train away.

The theatre has had so much work done, I wouldn't have thought they'd need more. The stage was changed to allow for the huge Miss Saigon tour to come in (which looked AMAZING) and the Mayflower itself isn't that old.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Mayflower to shut it's doors....#10
Posted: 4/4/09 at 3:31am
The big summer shows havent been done there for a while, and some of the recent summer shows have struggled. Chitty being the biggest one. The work is on the scene dock part of the theatre which does need some updating to help accomodate modern sets etc. Its been planned for a while, and its just a case of finding a slot to do it in.

Its a case of looking at their diary to see when is the best time. Its not uncommon for the theatre to have gaps in its diary over the summer.

Before panto/xmas show is often hard as they have an annual run of ballet and opera in November which does great business
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Mayflower to shut it's doors....#11
Posted: 4/4/09 at 3:05pm
Yea, its usually the gas boiler that gets a good seeing to before panto.