Page: 1

Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??

jakiboi
Swing
Swing
Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#1
Posted: 3/27/09 at 8:53pm
Hi just wondered what are peoples opinions on Jerry Springer the Opera act 2? Do you think it is wrong? Blasphemous? Or just a humourous and do not see why there were so many complaints? Thankyou.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#2
Posted: 3/27/09 at 9:00pm
Well, to be honest, if it is blasphemous, I really don't give a toss...Blasphemy is quite a passť crime, I have to say. :P But I don't think it is, really, it's a satire of society and religion at the same time. but then again, I'm not a religious academic (or any academic, for that matter) and I'm not really well acquainted with the requirements of blaspheming. But you have to admit, when you look at 'blaspheme' as a verb, it is quite a satisfying one.

Sorry, I got kinda lost there.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#2
Posted: 3/27/09 at 9:00pm
double post.
Updated On: 3/27/09 at 09:00 PM
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#3
Posted: 3/27/09 at 9:01pm
right ok as a religious person i felt yes it was a little on the rocks ! i mean i found most of the show yes bits were funny buts bits were just wrong and affensive ! and so personally i prefered the first act to the second, because for me was slightly more harder to watch
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#4
Posted: 3/27/09 at 9:24pm
I thought Jerry Springer the Opera was an extraordinary piece of musical theatre - incredibly funny, innovative, musically exciting, etc. And I did not find it in any way blasphemous or offensive. In fact it made some very strong religious/moral points, albeit through a darkly comic underbelly of sub-text. Most of the people who condemned it on moral grounds did not even see the show.

I actually went to see it thinking I would hate it and absolutely loved it.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
andymacca Profile Photoandymacca Profile Photo
andymacca
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#5
Posted: 3/28/09 at 8:21am
I dunno, I think that it started off ok but ended up going a little bit too far. I think it made offensive comments for offensive comments sake, as opposed to attempting to make some point through being humourous or offensive, if that makes sense? I think that some of the music is brilliant though.
Mazz0626
Understudy
Understudy
re: Jerry Springer the Opera..Good/Bad??#6
Posted: 3/29/09 at 5:32pm
I think it's worth remembering that probably about half of the 'complaints' received by the BBC when they aired it were actually notes of encouragement - after they'd got a few hundred complaints, they stopped reading them and marked all correspondences about Jerry 'complaint'. So if you want to pull up that statistic... it's largely inaccurate.

Having only seen it on television, I thought it was rather good. My only complaint would be against opera in general, not this one in particular - random phrases repeated ad nauseam to no story telling effect, seemingly to fill time and having no other purpose.

I think this is the sort of thing the opera world needs to be moving into to grow and keep an audience, personally. Did anyone see the other televised Kombat Operas? I particularly liked Spouse Change, even though it was obviously all filmed in suburban England.