Page: 1

We Will Rock You - Manchester Palace review

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well last night WWRY had its official opening night at the Palace Theatre and what a night it was. It was one of the biggest press nights we have had since Monkey and the outside of the theatre was swamped with Papparazi trying to get photos or Robbie Williams, Wayne Rooney, Colleen Rooney, Brian May etc etc.

The energy in the theatre was fantastic and people even started chanting to get the show started. As always the staff at the Palace pulled of such a big night with a great ease.

Now on to the show.
I have never been a fan of this show, its a show so devoid of anything remotely resembling a book that it work better if they dropped the silly scribblings Ben Elton passed of as a book altogether, but this is nothing new, critics have been saying this since day one when it opened....so why is it still going?

The songs are fantastic, if this was an original musical score it would change the way musicals were written. Granted some of the songs are just randomly plonked in to the show but you don't mind because your just happy that a song is starting.

Under Pressure was fantastic as was Its A Kind Of Magic, Killer Queen and so many others, the music almost lifts the roof of the great Palace Theatre and keeps sending the audience in to a state of frenzy.

The costumes are fine if not tacky, the choreography is dire Arlene Phillips and the set as simple as it is allows the attention to be kept on the cast themselves....and what about the cast.

Brenda Edwards from the X factor is a revelation, her comic timing was brilliant and what a voice, she shone every time she was on stage, in fact even when she wasnt on stage and she was doing her video screen sections she still got a huge applause.
Johnathan Wilkes played her sidekick Colonel Khashoggi fine, its a bit of a thankless role but his performance of Its A Kind Of Magic was great.

Kevin Kennedy as Pops was a crowd pleaser, but so many of his lines were aimed at the audience in Manchester that he was never going to fail. His comedy timing is very spot on but at the same time slightly off beat which makes him all the more interesting (and hes a really nice guy which is even better lol)

But standing head and shoulders above all them are Alex Gaumond and Sarah French-Ellis WOW.
This show is all about them, they are on fire. The voices are sensational, the acting is great and did i mention the voices?

I was getting shivers down my spine as they sang together. Annoyingly today the critics are just pulling out the celebs in the show, but if they were any kind of reviewer they would give the show an extra star just for these two.

WWRY is an entertaining show but more so if your not a theatre goer, i would imagine that anyone who is like myself would just find the laziness involved in the writing annoying.
But we all know as i said about the dire story but if you want to see performances that in my opinion are better than the Original London Cast and see a slick energetic production then run down to the Manchester Palace and book tickets fast.

Oh and Brian May and other members of Queen arrived on stage for the encore last night and nearly caused many middle aged queen fans to have a heart failure, and many young ones like my self to nearly pee my pants.
what a great moment!

3/5
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Brenda deserves to be the Killer Queen in London - how she is not attached to Sister Act is beyond me.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love how the silly storyline goes on about 'x factor etc destroying music' yet Brenda is in it lol
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
irony is such a beautiful thing SANDM2
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol i know